Revomaze V2 Extreme blue

For all general forum discussions.
ogi

Revomaze V2 Extreme blue

Post by ogi »

What is this ?
Is it like the Blue extreme R1 ? ore more like the obsession ?
Can I open it when solved, to see the core or is it closed ?
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Revomaze-V2-Extr ... 4ad4571a95
rodrigue10

Re: Revomaze V2 Extreme blue

Post by rodrigue10 »

This is formerly known as a Blue R1 Extreme V2 (version 2) Only difference from a V1 is the sleeve.

Once solved you will be able to remove the core.
OP- CE Set #22 BU GR BR TI R BL OR Obs Set V2 Set AG AU LM mini GM HM CU AQ MT IN PU SM
CL-

R2 - Voyager #25:
OP - Prototype 1
CL - ♀ ♁ ♂ ⚳ ♃ ♄ ♅ ♆ ♇ Eris, Makemake
Alimorris

Post by Alimorris »

rodrigue10 wrote:This is formerly known as a Blue R1 Extreme V2 (version 2) Only difference from a V1 is the sleeve.

Once solved you will be able to remove the core.
The other difference is that it has no Drawbar. This used to contain the certificate in the V1's.
The core which is removable, is solid.
CE_#111 ordered OR00111 O R00111 O HM04-20 On display LM00111 ;) BL00019 O
BU01111 O GR01111 O BR01111 O AG01111 O AU00111 O TI (SE) 14-50 O Mini O
. PU04
ogi

Post by ogi »

It is possible to remove the core. Is it also possible to remove the maze an to look at it ?
This is not possible afaik with the obsession which looks similar.
Chyron

Post by Chyron »

Some Obsessions you can remove the core of. Easy way to tell is if you can view a notch on the side of the shaft that goes into the sleeve (not the side you're pulling on mostly)

The core is what we generally call the piece that has the maze in it. The drawbar is what we generally call the bar within the core that is locked in place until the puzzle is opened. The V2 Extremes has no drawbar, and instead is a solid core -- as in the core was not drilled out to make room for the drawbar.

V1 Extreme -

Sleeve -- Colored Aluminum Cylinder. Has ridges/bands around it
Core -- Inside the Sleeve, nickel, gold (for CE's) or unplated. the puzzle is here.
Drawbar -- Inside the core. Has a Certificate wrapped around it for people who solve the puzzle

V2 Extreme
Sleeve -- Colored Aluminum Cylinder. No ridges/bands, very smooth.
Core -- Inside the sleeve. Solid
No Drawbar
Chyron wrote:Sometimes I get the feeling that someone goes around hiding old Puzzles in RevoHQ.
pcad

Post by pcad »

Yes, the core is removable as is every metal revomaze as far as I know.

The older metal revomazes had hollow cores and a smaller bar or core fit inside the larger core. This two part construction allowed a certificate to be hidden inside. There was also a transparent acetate sheet with a partial 2D maze drawn on it. Once you had all five acetates you could overlay them and the complete maze was revealed. It was a contest to see who could solve that maze.

The only way to get the small core out was to first get the large core out. In other words, the revomaze had to be solved which let you remove the core and see the maze. Once the core was out there wasn't any trick to removing the smaller core.

Now there are no certificates or map acetates with the new ones. Therefore there's no real need for the two piece core and the new revomazes have 1 piece cores. The essential task is still the same, navigate a tricky maze without any visible clues. The core remains removable so you get to see it when you're finished. Of course it can be reassembled and opened over and over.

The reason the early obsessions did not have removable cores is that the pin mechanism is different. With the metal ones the pin slide into the core completely and then there's nothing holding the core in place. The obsession pin never slides all the way into the core and there's always part of the pin locking the core in place. The only way to make them removable is to continue the end of the maze all the way to the end of the core. This final path created a cosmetic issue where the two ends weren't symmetric. Eventually this path was included and in order to obscure the presence of this path the diameter of the exposed ends of the core was reduced to the depth of the exit path.

Even with an older obsession an exit path can be made by the owner without much difficulty. I did this to my three original obsessions.

So yes, the revomaze pictured has a removable core and you will see the maze milled into the outer surface of the core.
Peter

Gunmetal Unopened
Aqua,Turquoise Opened
Blue, Green, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Purple Opened
Black V1 + V2, Orange, Red, Titanium, Lime Opened
HandMade Prototypes too scary to reassemble
Gold CE set in Clear Sleeves
ogi

Post by ogi »

Thank you all very much for the detailed explanations.
I took that opportunity and bought it (About 73GBP).
Looking forward..
astr0creep

Post by astr0creep »

ogi wrote:Thank you all very much for the detailed explanations.
I took that opportunity and bought it (About 73GBP).
Looking forward..
Welcome to the inevitable addiction :twisted:
Blue Obs open
Black Obs V1 open
Black Obs V2 open
Blue Ext open
Green Ext open
Bronze Ext open
Silver Ext open
Gold Ext open
Orange Ext open
PU SCW UK in progress!

Mercry Open, kinda...

astr0creep
ogi

My first Revo - First Impressions

Post by ogi »

This thing is really very british. The item is needlessly heavy, it is unhandy, it is needlessly costly. It has limited functional capabilities. It's nearly impossible to get one. It's not ugly. Not really. I would call it "odd". I really love it. To own one makes you feel like possessing a hybrid of a nuclear fuel rod (regarding the design) and a faberge egg (rareness).
It looks and feels like an artifact spawned by the "zone" from Strugatzkis "Roadside Picnic". It is big and bulky and heavy, lacking any obvious function. It is not made for mans hands: To operate it, at its ends there are, call it "Handles". There are hexagonal bolts, to short for a handy grip. Oh stop ! hexagonal ? No. - Heptagonal (!) bolts. That's the reason why it always hurts a little when you handle it. One finger always is in touch with an edge or with the face not exactly in parallel with the one at the other finger, so you need more force as if it where so. After a short while your fingers become sore and get muscle cramps. This thing must be designed by a sadistic or even an alien engineer. (Both?). "Hey ignoramus" I hear in my head: "This is the price for playing with cursed relics." As difficult as it is to get some of these rare artifacts, as closed seems to be the society of quirky sore-fingered cranks dealing with them. It's not a puzzle, its a cult. Some strangers with awesome skills and an incomprehensible argot are guarding their "Revos" jealously like smeagol his precious, adoring their masters, who, at fathomless indeterminable holy dates, condescend to give a restricted number of them to the folks. It's a rare event, when a renegade takes the chjance to get rid of it and sell it on a public platform. All this looks like a plot directly arosen from a Terry Pratchett novel. Or maybe like Alien-The-Movie: A nasty omnipotent alien excretes his eggs which evaporate an irresistible attraction to nerds and were breeded by warming and fingering them and when opened somthing will...
OK enough.. ..have no time.. must. open. it.
gaaaaa....
Chyron

Post by Chyron »

Yeah, it's overwhelmingly British.
Chyron wrote:Sometimes I get the feeling that someone goes around hiding old Puzzles in RevoHQ.

Return to “General”