Please help to find the "right" cube

Spanishlovemachine

Please help to find the "right" cube

Post by Spanishlovemachine »

Hi guys,
Again I would like to get your support on finding a specific cube. I am searching the "Floppy Cube" designed by Katsuhiko Okamoto (won the First Prize at IPP 2006). My problem is that 3 years later at IPP 2009 another cube from the same designer called "Super Floppy Cube" was invented. Now, besides that it scrambles differently I have really issues to determine the right cube when buying it just from a photo and description.

Could someone send me a link where I can buy the "Floppy Cube" from 2006 (it would be good if it is not a cheap copy).

Many thanx for your help in advance
Klaus
Spanishlovemachine

Re: Please help to find the "right" cube

No one?

I found this cube? Is it the one I search? Can anyone confirm?

http://www.amazon.de/UBE---1x3x3-6-Colo ... 1x3x3+cube
stet

Post by stet »

That is one of the cheap knock offs of the original Floppy Cube. The original Floppy Cube was only made in black plastic. It was made by Gentosha Toys and officially only sold in Japan though many people bought them from sites that would ship out of Japan. They are no longer in production.

Okamoto’s Super Floppy Cube was made and sold as the Scramble Cube, also by Gentosha Toys in Japan. It is also out of production.

A company called LanLan has made their own version of the Super Floppy Cube which looks a lot like Okamoto’s original from IPP 2009 but it doesn’t work quite the same way.
Needs to be updated!
SE #05:
BU Solved GR Solved BR Solved AG(V1) Not Solved AG(V2) Solved AU Won't Be Solved TI Missed
LE #05:
BL Solved RD Solved OR Not Solved HM Not Solved LI Ordered
Gold Plated CE #05:
BU Ordered GR Ordered BR Ordered AG Ordered AU Ordered TI Ordered
Spanishlovemachine

Thank you stet for the detailed answer. Nevertheless I have a new question. I understand that we are talking about a cheaper knock off of the Floppy Cube (my link provided), however, is it the same mechanic like the original Floppy Cube (because obviously there is a different mechanic when comparing the Super Floppy Cube from Okamoto with the one from LanLan)?

Spanishlovemachine
Paradox

Post by Paradox »

Spanishlovemachine wrote:Thank you stet for the detailed answer. Nevertheless I have a new question. I understand that we are talking about a cheaper knock off of the Floppy Cube (my link provided), however, is it the same mechanic like the original Floppy Cube (because obviously there is a different mechanic when comparing the Super Floppy Cube from Okamoto with the one from LanLan)?

Spanishlovemachine
Not quite the same. If I remember correctly on the original when a single cube was left exposed it could not rotate. On the 'knock-off' version the single cubes can rotate by themselves, making the puzzle much easier.

Search for the eBay seller 'cu-japan' as I know she regularly stocks the original version of this puzzle. Failing that drop me a message and I'll pass on her email address for you.
Puzzle Paradox on Facebook
Puzzle Paradox Blog

BluOb: Open (30/10/10) GrOb: Open (01/11/10)
BlOb: Open (04/11/10) ROb: ...
BluEx: Open (27/01/11) BrEx: Open (09/02/11)
REx: Open (17/04/11) OrEx: Open (20/07/12)
CuEx: In progress
Revo Mini: Open (05/07/13)
Spanishlovemachine

Thanx Paradox and I sent you a pm

Return to “Other Puzzles of Interest”