Revomaze models

For all general forum discussions.
adamwest

Re: Revomaze models

Post by adamwest »

ReVoMate wrote:Tried a few times. It always got taken down for 'blatant advertising'...
That's because you are!!!!! ;) you are like the the "revo-youth" it's scary sometimes. Just joking I love you revomate!! no really next time I am in England we need to have a beer or 12.
Proud owner of set #16 (RevoTaster)

BU00016 OPEN x and o
GR00016 OPEN x and o
Black o OPEN
BR00016
OPEN
RD00016 OPEN
AG00016 OPEN
AU00016 CLOSED
OR00016 OPEN (mark you're just mean ;) )
cdr2289

Post by cdr2289 »

adamwest wrote:
ReVoMate wrote:Tried a few times. It always got taken down for 'blatant advertising'...
That's because you are!!!!! ;) you are like the the "revo-youth" it's scary sometimes. Just joking I love you revomate!! no really next time I am in England we need to have a beer or 12.
What does one have to do to get out of the blatant advertising phase? I mean other items are there that are questionable....
Blue #172 opened
Green #172 opened
Bronze #172 opened
Black LE#04 opened
Silver #172 V2 opened
Red #86 opened ...
Gold #172 HAS ARRIVED!
Red Obs (Shelved) ...
walther

Post by walther »

Suskis wrote:Can we have some history about the revos?
I mean: why the black is a LE? why the red extreme has no metal counterpart? and how did the 1st revo come to life?
So the world of Revo according to me :D

Chris created the Revo after designing the Ramisis for SW. He would have to give information of the actual invention. Anyway the Revo was born. In the beginning Chris created the Blue and put a couple on eBay. It was limited to the first 12 made and they were released 2 at a time for a couple weeks. These were named the Special Editions (SE) because they were the first of the series and Jazz became the first to claim ownership. All other Blue puzzles would be standard versions without the SE designation. The serial number actually has SE as part of it. At this time we still had no idea what this was all about but word spread on a few forums and a small group bought up the first 12 and started talking on the Forum. At the time Chris was VERY active on the forum getting feedback and talking about this new puzzle. Soon we were all laughing about having Blue hands from working so hard.

During these early days a couple of things occurred due to people deciding they liked what they saw.
1. We discovered that Chris knew of CR80 due to his fame of being the first to solve the Ramisis. The dificulty ratings on the Revo were loosely based on how quickly he thought CR80 could solve them.
2. Shaka04, after talking with Chris became the forum #2 guy tasked with keeping the peace and moderating the forum. He was quickly named RevoMate.
3. CR80 took on the role of product Tester.
At this time some of us got a bit crazy and pre ordered the entire set of mazes. I say crazy because at that time we had barely had time to play with the Blue, but from what we saw we were hooked and wanted more.

Soon, the First set of Greens hit eBay, again like the Blue only the first 12 were auctioned and they were also labeled SE. A quick friendly battle ensued where people with the BlueSE tried to make sure they got the Matching GreenSE.

At this time I decided to make my mark on the puzzles and began discussing the creation of a coin to go with the SE editions just as a bonus for the core group of people. Originally, I was going to sell them to the owners and with Chris's input and later input from the owners I created the design.

During this time the engineers building the RevoMazes created a prototype of a maze to show Chris a little of what they could do besides the basic mazes. They also thought it might be a little fun to let Chris see what it was like to solve a Revo where he didn't know the maze already. Once opened Chris decided that a limited number of the these would be offered to the close group of people that had started to form. At this time we were really only a small group so he offered us a special Black Revo. at first is was only a dozen or so, but with all the interest he increase the production to 20 puzzles. Since unlike the Blue this was a limited run they were named the Limited Edition (LE) puzzle. This also sparked the decision to create 2 other Limited Editions Yellow and Red.
Soon the coins became a reality and they were released with the Black LE RevoMazes.

After all the whining by the puzzle solvers of cramped fingers Chris also introduced the Training Aid around this time.

The community began to grow and word stated getting out and it wasn't long before we had solved Blue and Green and were begging for the Bronze. This time Chris decided word was out and since the main group was probably going to be the only one's bidding or at least winning the SE editions he gave us the option of just buying them directly and any that were not solved would then be put on eBay. As expected none of the Bronze SE puzzles ever appeared on ebay. Little did we know what we were asking for and Chris gave us a warning that this was going to be a jump in difficulty. Slowly we began to crack it and people started to understand what was possible and a bit of fear of what was to come.

Next Chris decided to create a plastic version of the puzzle to reach more people who might not be able to afford the metal puzzles. The engineers created them and Chris tested them out and it was discovered that they were just as well made as the metal and soon they were offered to the public in a limited color selection. Blue, Red and Black sleeves after the initial run the Blue and Red were retired.

Silver was then announced but Chris was working hard to make sure that like the first 3 there would be no issues. So, far quality had been excellent which was amazing given some of the other things going on at the time. A slight delay and soon the Silver was upon us. After awhile a design issue was again discovered in some of the puzzles. Soon there was an unprecedented announcement that instead of waiting for the issue to possibly show up in other puzzles Chris fixed the issue and decided to send a new puzzle to everyone.

Also announced were 3 more User created puzzles Orange, Gray and Titanium.

Also there will be a small number of the Purple mazes designed for the Competition.

And that brings us up to now...

walther

Feel free to offer any corrections or additional information that I missed.
3SE/EX>BU Open|GR Open|BR Open|AG(1) Broken|AG(2) Open|AU Broken...again???
90EX>BU|GR|BR|AG|AU
3LE>BL Open|LI Closed|Handmade Closed
Obsession>BU Open|GR Open|BL Open|RD Open|BUPro Open
3SE>RD Open|OR Closed|TI Closed
PU 3rd Round Winner
cdr2289

Post by cdr2289 »

Outstanding Walther -

Only thing I'd add would be i think another impetus for the extreme is to have something more "child friendly" that didn't weigh so much or have removeable little pieces..

Very excellent summary.

Cheers

chad
Blue #172 opened
Green #172 opened
Bronze #172 opened
Black LE#04 opened
Silver #172 V2 opened
Red #86 opened ...
Gold #172 HAS ARRIVED!
Red Obs (Shelved) ...
cornettracing80

Post by cornettracing80 »

that was one of the coolest posts i have ever read on here Walther!
really cool!
:D
The hardest part of a Revomaze is putting it down
BU00080-Solved
GR00080-Solved
BR00080-Solved
AG00080 V1-Solved 1st ever
AU00080-IN PROGRESS
R00080-Solved
Revomaze Obsessions Solved
Blue
Green
Red
Black
Suskis

Post by Suskis »

This was a really interesting reading. thank you.
RevoMaze Extreme Blue - Opened in 6 hours
RevoMaze Extreme Green - Opened in 4 hours
RevoMaze Extreme Black - Opened in 5 hours
RevoMaze Extreme Red - Working on it...
walther

Post by walther »

A little bit of rambling trying to remember all the stuff. But as new people come aboard or if a Wiki ever gets created it might be interesting to see how it started.

Glad you liked it :D
3SE/EX>BU Open|GR Open|BR Open|AG(1) Broken|AG(2) Open|AU Broken...again???
90EX>BU|GR|BR|AG|AU
3LE>BL Open|LI Closed|Handmade Closed
Obsession>BU Open|GR Open|BL Open|RD Open|BUPro Open
3SE>RD Open|OR Closed|TI Closed
PU 3rd Round Winner
matt_dales

Post by matt_dales »

Nice Dude :D
BL00138 OPEN
GR00064 OPEN
BR00164 OPEN
AG00164 OPEN, First to open V2
AU00000 DREADING
Suskis

Post by Suskis »

what about now? all this news have introduced (in me) a lot of confusion!
Extreme is now Obsession, old normal are now Extreme? new color added but in limited edition? What about non-limited edition? :shock:
RevoMaze Extreme Blue - Opened in 6 hours
RevoMaze Extreme Green - Opened in 4 hours
RevoMaze Extreme Black - Opened in 5 hours
RevoMaze Extreme Red - Working on it...
altarego

Post by altarego »

From what I understand, based on the new product pages:

Revomaze Extreme refers to the core group of metal puzzles. They all play a part in the Revomaze community competitions and include:

1. Blue [BU]; challenge level 50; available for order
2. Green [GR]; challenge level 60; available for order
3. Bronze [BR]; challenge level 80; available for order
4. Silver [AG]; challenge level 90; available for order
5. Gold [AU]; chnallenge level 100; available for pre-order, limited to 250, released on staggered schedule (see Revomaze Extreme Gold product page for more information)
An additional 250 will be available through the collectors edition [CE_AU].

Revomaze Limited Edition are metal puzzles with a limited run:

1. Black [LE]; challenge level estimated 70-75; limited to 20 metal puzzles, later versions reproduced in nylon as the Black Revomaze Obsession line; no longer available for purchase in metal
2. Red [unknown labeling]; challenge level 85; limited edition of 250 metal puzzles created for the 2010 Live Gadget Show; based on the map created for the Red Obessesion; available for pre-order (in metal)
3. Orange [unknown labeling]; challenge level unkown; limited edition of 250 metal puzzles using the winning map from the User Design Contest (release date unknown); in design & available for pre-order
4. Titanium [CE_TI]; challenge level 85; limited edition of 250 metal puzzles created for Collectors Edition sets; available for preorder

Revomaze Obsession are nylon-based models*:

1. Blue (copy of Extreme Blue, challenge level 50); available for order
2. Green (copy of Extreme Green, challenge level 60); available for order
3. Black (copy of Extreme Black LE, challenge level 70-75); available for order
4. Red (originally a unique addition to the Obsession line, recently recreated in metal for the Red Limited Edition release, challenge level 85); available for order
5. Titanium (Titanium Extreme in nylon, presented as an option for enthusiasts who want to try the puzzle without buying the Collectors Edition, challenge level 85); in design

* Some of the more advanced Revomaze Extreme models (Bronze, Silver, Gold, etc.) have particular maps or properties that prevent them from being created in the nylon material. That is why they have no corresponding model in nylon for the Obsession line.

* Also, some find that the 'feel' and challenge of the nylon puzzles differ from the metal analogs. This seems to be a subjective, but may be consistent between productions lines. Be aware that the challenge levels listed are a relative and subjective evaluation of difficulty.

Unique (single or low count models for special occasions):

1. Prototype of Silver Extreme model released to winner of online algorithm contest. No anodizing and no special serial numbers (however, does come with certificate of authenticity from Chris, challenge level 90).
2. Purple - special Revomaze metal puzzle offered as the final round of the upcoming Revomaze community competition(challenge level unknown); in design & not available

If I'm missing a model or have a fact wrong, please let me know - I'll be sure to edit it. Ultimately, this would be a nice 'sticky' post for newcomers.
Last edited by altarego on Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:49 am, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “General”