Revomaze Discord

For all general forum discussions.
BBloke

Re: Revomaze Discord

Post by BBloke »

dasrevo wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:03 pm
prodigy wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:51 pm I tried the Revomaze Discord page and I couldn't navigate at all and for me it is exactly what I don't like with internet nowadays. It is just too many post about nothing and people posting things just for just for the sake of it. It is just a random chat that is hard to follow and too much information, blinking icons etc.

I guess I am just too old for this and I am that person who does not use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc. But I love Revomaze, solving puzzles and discuss puzzles and I think this forum is the perfect place for it. We just need to correct some bugs that we have here for the moment.
I fully agree and maybe I am also too old 😀
Neither of you are that old! :D. I'm not that old but, sadly, old enough to have my head in IT for 30 years :P. Whilst not the oldest of days, they were certainly part of some good times.

I'm all for change and moving on and things have to be tried so we can know what does and doesn't work. I use discord, I'm an avid gamer. I consider it a communication platform, voice and chat. It excels at voice much mumble and teamspeak and ventrilo. It offers more than those three combine with the inclusion of chatting.

I just feel discord is short term instant gratification, long term disappointment but then we are in the age of want it now!
BBloke

Pro Level 3 - BLopen | BL #1580 open
Open #100: AQ | BL | GR | BR | AG | GU | TI | OR | CU | IN | LI | MN
Closed: AU | GY | SA
Ordered: RU
R2 Voyager #100: Mercury 1st Batch (open) | Venus pre-ordered
ReVoRabbit

Post by ReVoRabbit »

BBloke wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:56 pm I just feel discord is short term instant gratification, long term disappointment but then we are in the age of want it now!
I'm starting to agree. its either boring or impossible to catch up.

right now I'm here to find out the order of revos by difficulty and I can just do a search. that's not gonna happen on discord.
OWNER OF REVOMAZE Set 20
Since February 18 2009
Extreme
BU GR BR AG au pu BL R HM OR TI lm AQ
TQ MT IN CU GM sa GY BKM SP EM ru
PE
v2: BU GR BR Marbles: Brain Store MINI CE
Obsession
Black Body: BU GR R BL
Colored Body: BU GR R BL
Black v2: BUpro GR BL
Prototypes
BU Obs
Mint Peach
Jupiter
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

I hope that people will come back here again. It feels lonely :(

The problem here is maybe lack of new puzzles for the old members that has been here for all 20 earlier puzzles, but just wait for a new challenge to discuss.
OPEN: AQUA - TURQUOISE - BLUE - GREEN - BRONZE - SILVER - GOLD - INDIGO - TITANIUM - RED - ORANGE - LIME - GUNMETAL - PURPLE - COPPER - MINT - HANDMADE - MERCURY - BLACK - BLACK MERC - SALMON - GREY - SAPPHIRE - EMERALD - RUBY - PEACH
BlackClub

Post by BlackClub »

I agree with the above. Discord is fine for "chat" but for searching, and idividual topics on the different mazes, the forum is far better
Escaped: SP AQ TQ BU EM GR BR AG TI GM CU MT BL v1 GR BU Mini OR IN PE
Trapped in:AU LM HM RU SA
Waiting on:
Looking for: BL v2 PU
dasrevo

Post by dasrevo »

Who is the administrator of this forum btw? It is quite silly that you constantly get those 500 errors.
That should not happen and should be easy to fix. Someone with phpBB experience should not have a hard time backing up the db, installing phpBB from scratch and reimport the backed-up data right?
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

dasrevo wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:11 pm Who is the administrator of this forum btw? It is quite silly that you constantly get those 500 errors.
That should not happen and should be easy to fix. Someone with phpBB experience should not have a hard time backing up the db, installing phpBB from scratch and reimport the backed-up data right?
(I am using Safari)
Yes I always get a white page after posting a message. Similar while sending PMs. I cannot edit messages as a moderator (gets an error message). Annoying errors that we didn't have previously.
OPEN: AQUA - TURQUOISE - BLUE - GREEN - BRONZE - SILVER - GOLD - INDIGO - TITANIUM - RED - ORANGE - LIME - GUNMETAL - PURPLE - COPPER - MINT - HANDMADE - MERCURY - BLACK - BLACK MERC - SALMON - GREY - SAPPHIRE - EMERALD - RUBY - PEACH
Yffffonz

Post by Yffffonz »

Positives and negatives to both the Forum and Discord.
I’ll still check both :D
AQUA OPEN - BLUE OPEN
GREEN - MINT - TITANIUM - GUNMETAL - COPPER - ORANGE - BRONZE - INDIGO - SILVER - HANDMADE - MINI - LIME - GOLD
TURQUOISE - SALMON - MERCURY - RED - BLACK OBS V1 - GREY - PURPLE - BLACK OBS V2 - SAPPHIRE - EMERALD - RUBY - PEACH
VOYAGER #008
doc81

Post by doc81 »

I plan to do both as well. The history of Revo is here. They each serve a purpose. Certainly less small talk here and more "meat". The discord is nicer for pics/vids and immediate responses (notifications for PMs) which better allows for a conversation. Also alot of us are on the mechanical puzzle discord so it is easy to check both that way.
SET SERIAL #7021
OPENED: AQUA - BLUE - GREEN - MINT - TITANIUM - BRONZE - MINI
CLOSED: COPPER - GUNMETAL - ORANGE - INDIGO - SILVER - HANDMADE
BBloke

Post by BBloke »

There are plus points for both platforms but I think the forums serve a better role for puzzlers than discord. Maybe utilising URL links in discord linking to forum posts serve a better experience for all.

I'd be happy to throw my cap in the ring for helping fix the issues on the forum. I've worked with phpbb for plenty enough years and I've been an in-house web developer for work for a long time.
BBloke

Pro Level 3 - BLopen | BL #1580 open
Open #100: AQ | BL | GR | BR | AG | GU | TI | OR | CU | IN | LI | MN
Closed: AU | GY | SA
Ordered: RU
R2 Voyager #100: Mercury 1st Batch (open) | Venus pre-ordered
dasrevo

Post by dasrevo »

BBloke wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:28 am There are plus points for both platforms but I think the forums serve a better role for puzzlers than discord. Maybe utilising URL links in discord linking to forum posts serve a better experience for all.

I'd be happy to throw my cap in the ring for helping fix the issues on the forum. I've worked with phpbb for plenty enough years and I've been an in-house web developer for work for a long time.
That would be awesome! There must have be made mistakes when migrating the board to a newer version. Sometimes you also get db errors, it seems the database has not been properly migrated.

When deleting posts, this clearly shows database migration failures:

Code: Select all

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Unknown column 'post_id' in 'field list' [1054]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
Clearly because the board was migrated, the database was not. The database structure is inconsistent with the current phpbb version. They need to simply run some migration scripting and in the future RTFM!!!

Return to “General”