-Update from Revo HQ-

General announcements
ReVoMaster
Site Admin

Re: -Update from Revo HQ-

Post by ReVoMaster »

smiteo wrote:ummm... spoiler! I guess with also posting the solution video for blue, things like this don't matter anymore?

Firstly, I take these comments very seriously and would like to address the small group who feel our actions are compromising my puzzle.

The Revomaze has been around for nearly 10 years and I have work extremely hard to dedicate all my time (with no holidays or breaks) to make this puzzle a success.

So you all have no doubt, my intention is to serve my loyal customers and ensure we survive to be able to bring out new puzzles in the future. This requires commercial decisions as well as trying to keep our community happy.

When the Blue Video came out, this had two dramatic effects. The first was for the first time, people could understand what we had produced as the first question we are always asked is "What is it?" and every time we have to say "A Puzzle". Unlike the Rubik's Cube, people get it straight away, the second question is "How does it work" followed by "How do you know when you have solved it".

Every show we have attended, every time people see the Revomaze these are the questions.

So when the Blue Video same out, my first reaction was like yours, disappointment as it has been kept secret for nearly 10 years.

But you are not party to the emails we have received from the 5 millions views, saying how wonderful the puzzle is and how they now understand it. The audience has been opened up to millions of people who now want to try the puzzle (as you know seeing the solution and opening the puzzle is two different things).

So when I read your comments about spoilers I see some of you are offended and that is part of having opinions. My aim for the puzzle has aways been the same to make puzzle that people enjoy. 20,000 puzzles later we are doing that and are still doing so.

Next I will address the words Static and Dynamic puzzles. This has always been described like this, it does not describe what is the dynamic in any detail. Also we described the stamatic puzzles as they contain magnets.

I can see nothing to give away anything from the enjoyment of the puzzles, you still have to find out and solve them.

I am NOT making puzzles for the elite - I am making puzzles for everyone to enjoy.

Commercially, we are making money on the Revomaze, but I am NOT buying cars or taking holidays (fyi Jill and I have not had a holiday since 2005 and I use her car) because all the money is being invested into the company.

The best part of making these puzzles is receiving the hundreds of sincere messages of how the puzzle makes people feel good about puzzling, while I have a handful of people who are not happy.

Let me tell you all, I fully appreciate and will do everything in my power to ensure Revomaze is a success and given a place that the puzzling community enjoy.

We will review what we put out in future to ensure we keep both parties happy but I know a few of you will be unhappy.

Salmon and R2 is being worked on while our engineers are making the puzzles to allow new people to experience the puzzles.

Yours sincerely

Chris

Chris Pitt
"Inventor of the Revomaze"
ReVoMaster
greenwolf86

Post by greenwolf86 »

Thanks Chris! We appreciate all the effort you put in to balancing the different needs and desires of the community.
I'm collecting unplated cores! Make me an offer if you are looking to part with any. Always looking for a black and a purple, too :?
BBloke

Post by BBloke »

Whilst I was originally more than annoyed on the release of the blue solution video. I can happily take away from that there is yet to be any other posted solution to any other puzzle.

That was one of my personal reasons for purchasing more. You have to work through them instead of watching a solution and the mystery maze revealed at the click of a button. I received help with my lime after 18 months. That is, to me, value for money. All of them have been. I've read all the posts on bronze, orange, silver and gunmetal and they all have some helpful hints. I love em. I find they don't help much but they always add to the intrigue and mystery.

For me, the descriptions don't give much away as the journey is what makes the puzzle.
BBloke

Pro Level 3 - BLopen | BL #1580 open
Open #100: AQ | BL | GR | BR | AG | GU | TI | OR | CU | IN | LI | MN
Closed: AU | GY | SA
Ordered: RU
R2 Voyager #100: Mercury 1st Batch (open) | Venus pre-ordered
Neosilver

Post by Neosilver »

BBloke wrote:Whilst I was originally more than annoyed on the release of the blue solution video. I can happily take away from that there is yet to be any other posted solution to any other puzzle.
I understand this feeling. it's fun to be part of "the club" that only knows the solution after having experienced the difficulty of discovering it. Unfortunately, I get the sense that this is only the case because the puzzles were relatively unknown for so long, along with the fact that there was a competition over the original five that nurtured this culture of secrecy. I wouldn't be surprised at all if more difficult puzzle solutions were made readily available with this new influx of customers.

Try not to be too disappointed if/when that happens, I suppose.
Blue: Opened (approx 3 hours)
Green: Opened (2 days)
Bronze: Opened (3 weeks)
Gunmetal: Opened (1 month)
Indigo: Opened (1 month)
Salmon: In progress!
BBloke

Post by BBloke »

Neosilver wrote:Try not to be too disappointed if/when that happens, I suppose.
True. Me too.

The intimacy of the internet is always marred by ones immediacy. I preferred the internet when it was a much smaller niche of nerds (and I'm not that old!)
BBloke

Pro Level 3 - BLopen | BL #1580 open
Open #100: AQ | BL | GR | BR | AG | GU | TI | OR | CU | IN | LI | MN
Closed: AU | GY | SA
Ordered: RU
R2 Voyager #100: Mercury 1st Batch (open) | Venus pre-ordered
CPLR

Post by CPLR »

I largely agree with what everybody is saying. The minor disappointment I had was that revealing that there are magnets specifically in two Revomazes I have, but haven't solved yet, was a spoiler--though admittedly not a major one. Discovering the existence and nature of dynamic elements is part of the fun and the journey for me.

Also, there is an important and significant difference between spoilers being posted by third parties versus Revomaze. I understand vague hints were posted by Chris years ago re the Bronze, which is absolutely his choice. But even those you had to hunt down and then decode. It was easy to disregard them if you wanted to.

At the end of the day, this was a judgement call for Chris to make, and I do not think he was wrong in his decision. I just personally would have preferred to have had the choice of not seeing the spoilers, which are now imbedded in the very description of the two puzzles. I understand why Chris did it though. If my small disappointment is a price for more sales for Chris (which is good for all of us!), I'm ok with that.
doc81

Post by doc81 »

I actually discovered Revomaze a month ago due to the popularity of the infamous blue maze solution video. I only watched a small portion of the beginning as I also dislike spoilers. But this was enough to peak my interest, get me to their site/forum and have now placed a preorder for the 11-set. Even with things like the video out there, people have the choice to watch or not watch the spoiler. Getting name recognition is necessary as a business for Chris. Also, knowing what you're buying is important to people, as we've already discussed with the LE vs. CE. Labeling of the puzzles, whether it be 'static', 'dynamic' or 'mag', are all spoilers to some degree. I guess these didn't ruin the puzzle for me though and I better understand why I should buy all of them. :)
SET SERIAL #7021
OPENED: AQUA - BLUE - GREEN - MINT - TITANIUM - BRONZE - MINI
CLOSED: COPPER - GUNMETAL - ORANGE - INDIGO - SILVER - HANDMADE
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

October 19:

Dear all,
First of all I am Chloe who will now be working alongside Sales and Admin. If you need to contact me directly you can do this via my business Facebook (Chloe Nevinson) or alternatively my email: chloe@revohq.co.uk.
Please do not hesitate to contact us as we are happy to assist anyone who has any enquiries. Have a good weekend, from us! :)
Chloe
OPEN: AQUA - TURQUOISE - BLUE - GREEN - BRONZE - SILVER - GOLD - INDIGO - TITANIUM - RED - ORANGE - LIME - GUNMETAL - PURPLE - COPPER - MINT - HANDMADE - MERCURY - BLACK - BLACK MERC - SALMON - GREY - SAPPHIRE - EMERALD - RUBY - PEACH
Kirk2000

Post by Kirk2000 »

Picture, or you don't exist... Why are you all using Prodigy's Revo username?
KIRK
Voyager #26
Looking for a BLACK Revo. PM me if you want to sell yours.
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

Kirk2000 wrote:Picture, or you don't exist... Why are you all using Prodigy's Revo username?
Due to that they only post the updates on Facebook (I personally hate Facebook) I try to post all their updates here on the forum so everyone like me can see and read the updates made by RevoHQ.
OPEN: AQUA - TURQUOISE - BLUE - GREEN - BRONZE - SILVER - GOLD - INDIGO - TITANIUM - RED - ORANGE - LIME - GUNMETAL - PURPLE - COPPER - MINT - HANDMADE - MERCURY - BLACK - BLACK MERC - SALMON - GREY - SAPPHIRE - EMERALD - RUBY - PEACH

Return to “Announcements”