-Update from Revo HQ-

General announcements
Coloradobluesguy

Re: -Update from Revo HQ-

Post by Coloradobluesguy »

Can I get a hold of one of those disc mazes?
AQ-01128-SOLVED
BU-07001-SOLVED
TQ-00223-In Progress
GR-07001-SOLVED
Mint MT-0150-Solved
BR07001-In Progress
Indigo-Ordered/Arrived
Gunmetal-Ordered/Arrived
Copper-Ordered/Arrived
Silver-
Handmade
Lime
Mini
Red-0032
Gold-
Titanium
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

September 25:
Dear all,
Today we are all out of the office at the NEC in Birmingham. I am trying to respond to all messages throughout of the day. I will put up a blog later showing what we have been doing! :)
OPEN: AQUA - TURQUOISE - BLUE - GREEN - BRONZE - SILVER - GOLD - INDIGO - TITANIUM - RED - ORANGE - LIME - GUNMETAL - PURPLE - COPPER - MINT - HANDMADE - MERCURY - BLACK - BLACK MERC - SALMON - GREY - SAPPHIRE - EMERALD - RUBY - PEACH
greenwolf86

Post by greenwolf86 »

Doc and Kirk, I respectfully disagree.

First, Doc, the Revomaze shop said limited edition, not collector’s edition. So you would agree that they should be produced only in specific numbers. Both the 4 maze set AND THE INDIVIDUAL puzzles said limited edition (I can’t remember if the Blue maze said limited edition in the title, but the rest had it both in the title and the description). No confusion here. Also, limited editions have not historically been ‘much’ more expensive, so that is just wrong. The Black Merc project is the first ‘expensive’ limited run puzzle, and Chris specifically discussed the higher price. I heard that Chris produced a few additional Handmades for ~500 and some purples for ~2000, but that was not the original intent of those particular puzzles.

Next, as a collector, I am interested in collecting as many variations on the Revomazes as I can. One of the things that factors into my purchases is the scarcity of each puzzle. I am willing to pay a higher price and make a quicker decision if the puzzle is going to be more expensive or harder to get later. In this case, neither of those end up being true if the puzzles are mass produced. I have nothing against Chris wanting to make more money. In fact, I wish Chris made so much money that he could hire an entire team to build these great puzzles! However, don’t impact my buying decisions by calling something limited which in fact is not limited. I’m not saying I wouldn’t buy it; the bead-blasted finish is my favorite look for the Revomazes. In this case, if these were going to be mass produced, I would not have bought them when I did. The fear of missing out on a puzzle that is only going to be available through resale later drives me buy a puzzle. Think about the original Black Extreme: there are 20 of them and Chris will not make more. For any price. So my only chance at getting one is to wait for one of those 20 people to sell theirs. That is what limited edition means. That you have to get it when it is available. This is not a call for Chris to stop selling great puzzles but a call for honesty in marketing. If he is testing something out then say that. “For sale are 3 sets of bead-blasted Revomazes; if they are popular we will consider making more at a 20% premium to the standard finish.” If I can pay Chris directly to get the puzzle, then it should not be called limited (e.g., Handmade can be commissioned for serious collectors; anything like that where I know I cannot be prevented from getting a puzzle).

Kirk, if nothing is different about the puzzle than the number, then I don’t consider that special. I don’t display my Revomazes to show the world how well Chris’ machine can carve a number into the maze shaft. I display them so people can see the beauty that went into the whole puzzle and the artistry and care that went into designing the maze. Sure, I want a specific number to match my CE set, but in this case, the puzzles I received do not even match my CE set because they were “limited edition.” And why do you think cost is irrelevant? I obviously do not have as much money as you and have to save up to buy my puzzles. So buying something now that I think is scarce means not buying something else later. I hope you can understand my frustration when I miss out on something actually scarce because I bought a Revomaze which I thought was limited, but then is not (in this case it was having $800 less for the Haubrich auction that was announced a week later). I want Chris to commit to limited meaning limited. Just stop saying puzzles are limited editions and giving some of us the impression that we can’t get them later! Is he afraid it won’t sell if he doesn’t call it limited?

TL, DR – CHRIS, PLEASE COME UP WITH A SYSTEM TO TELL THOSE OF US WHO ARE COLLECTING THE PUZZLES WHAT WE NEED TO BUY AS SOON AS IT COMES OUT AND WHAT WE CAN BUY AS WE ACTUALLY SAVE UP AND HAVE THE FUNDS.

Nick
I'm collecting unplated cores! Make me an offer if you are looking to part with any. Always looking for a black and a purple, too :?
Jm26rob

Post by Jm26rob »

Greenwood those are some good points. I bought one of the bead blasted puzzles however financially it would have been better for me to purchase another month when I had saved up which I would have done had I known. I only bought so as not to miss the opportunity so my buying decision was affected by the description.

What I don't get is that this is easily resolved and why they carry on with this limited business. The description for the bead blasted puzzles should simply of read something like 'we are testing the waters with a new style of the puzzles and there are a few prototypes on the website available to purchase. Depending on public feedback we may put these puzzles into future production on general sale'

A statement like that would have provided more clarity allowing people to make an informed decision and the key point for Chris and his business is that I would still have purchased just at a time that suited me.
doc81

Post by doc81 »

My mistake on the labeling of collectors versus limited editions. I am coming from a different perspective as I don't have any revomazes yet, have preordered a 7-set but would love to instead order the 9 bead blasted mazes if available no matter how many they produce. However, I can understand and respect your perspective of knowing exactly what you are getting when you order something.
SET SERIAL #7021
OPENED: AQUA - BLUE - GREEN - MINT - TITANIUM - BRONZE - MINI
CLOSED: COPPER - GUNMETAL - ORANGE - INDIGO - SILVER - HANDMADE
ReVoMaster
Site Admin

Post by ReVoMaster »

Ok everyone, we have made a mistake!

1) Collectors Edition is a change to the standard product, we can make as many as we like

2) Limited Edition is a short run and fixed

What Happened?
a.
We had poor anodised Indigo's from another anodiser who made a very bad job. We had to have the bad ones stripped and to get a good effect we Aqua Blasted them. While doing this we had some others with small blemishes that were in the workshop.

Indigo. 11
Gunmetal. 6
Blue. 6
Green. 3

So we put the Blue Green Indigo and Gunmetal together into 3 sets and the rest sold individually. These are all marked up CE standing for Collectors Edition.

While making these sets and individual puzzles available as something different for our collectors, when I explained this when putting them up, we put the words "Limited Edition" onto the invoice which was an error but reflected in the limited number we had. If we wanted them fixed in quantity, we should have charged the right fee.

So we have a problem that some of you are now taking issue to this and it needs resolving.

If we decide to NOT produce any more bead blasted, a few people will be very happy as they will have something unique and the £20 extra we charged for the extra Aqua Blasted process will in fact be much higher in value. But this will upset the majority who would like to own a Aqua Blasted Version.

If we DO produce more, then the few who thought they have purchased a very limited set will see their expected return reduced and diminish our word in the community. But the majority will be happy.

It seems having the number 1of3CE is not going to work as this is for Collectors.

We should have NOT stated LIMITED EDITION on the invoice as this implies a limited run (like the MERC BLACK with only 20).

So either way people are not happy and I accept this is result of my own inability to put down the right process.

Some people have made much money over this in the past (and in the future). The Purple was set to just 20 whereas I have not charged for 14. I am NOT making any more of these. Original Black is 20. I am NOT making any more of these. Red is 125. I will not commission any more and Black Merc is 20 and why we are charging a premium.

So when I say Limited Edition, I must stick to it. As the invoice states this, I cannot make any more so the few will now have their Limited Number (26 in total). No more Blue, Green, Indigo and Gunmetal.

This is a painful lesson and We have made a mistake but will learn quickly from it. We must do what we said we would do as we value our community as a whole.

This whole exercise was to bring interest into our community, but due to my own inadequacies, has created bad feeling and to the community I am sorry for this!

Best

Chris
ReVoMaster
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

September 27:
Hello,
Josh, who is our Production, Engineering and Design Apprentice has managed to solve the Revomaze Blue around 10 times! Not only that, he has completed it in reverse...he did not a use map but he recommends that if you are frustrated and giving up, drawing a map would be constructive.
His own words: "The Revomaze Blue was challenging at first but as you get used to the steps of solving it, it becomes easier but you STILL fall in to the same traps without fail, that's the evil thing about it" ;)
Josh's' next aim is to complete the Green when we have it back in our HQ. We will let you know how he gets on.
Best from the team,
Rachel
OPEN: AQUA - TURQUOISE - BLUE - GREEN - BRONZE - SILVER - GOLD - INDIGO - TITANIUM - RED - ORANGE - LIME - GUNMETAL - PURPLE - COPPER - MINT - HANDMADE - MERCURY - BLACK - BLACK MERC - SALMON - GREY - SAPPHIRE - EMERALD - RUBY - PEACH
ShannonA

Post by ShannonA »

Chris please make more of those bead blasted colours.
It is unfair that one whinging person ruins it for the rest of us.
Bz0246 -in progress
doc81

Post by doc81 »

Thank you for the detailed reply Chris. We certainly appreciate the care you put into your work and respect whatever decision you make. The only other option I can see that would be fair would be to offer returns/refunds to those who purchased the bead blasted mazes and feel wronged if you did make more.
SET SERIAL #7021
OPENED: AQUA - BLUE - GREEN - MINT - TITANIUM - BRONZE - MINI
CLOSED: COPPER - GUNMETAL - ORANGE - INDIGO - SILVER - HANDMADE
Joker24-7

Post by Joker24-7 »

Am I right in thinking both the Lime and Orange were limited edition (250 and 125) yet are going into production again?

I’m curious as to how this situation differs from that of the red, black and purple.

I get that there’s an opportunity to fund the business (which I fully support) and newcomers to the the puzzles get a chance to purchase a wider range of puzzles, but would a compromise be to produce these open ended puzzles with a slightly different look than the original and include those other colour mazes that so many of us long term collectors missed out on too?

From a selfish point of view I’m just feeling that I once owned something ‘special’ with my lime and orange but no longer if these are the only two to be re-released.

Return to “Announcements”