Re-assembly mechanical question.

For all general forum discussions.
mbmoffat

Re-assembly mechanical question.

Post by mbmoffat »

I understand why the maze pin goes in rounded side down (i.e. rounded side near the centre of the shaft to trace through the maze).

I am wondering why the draw pin goes rounded side out / bevelled side near the centre of the shaft?. Does anyone know? I'm actually quite mechanically minded (I once built a car) but I haven't figured this out yet.

Matt
MasonMeier

Re: Re-assembly mechanical question.

Post by MasonMeier »

I have no idea what the real reason is and you can totally get away with putting it in backwards, but my guess is so that the exposed portion of the pin better matches the curvature of the sleeve.
AQ01267: 3/7/22 TQ00378: 3/7/22 BU00410: 8/17/11 GR00285: 7/19/11
MT00019: 3/2/18 TI00006: 12/31/17 BR01550: 7/12/16 OR00293: 6/7/18
IN00107: 3/5/18 Gunmetal: 12/11/16 R00117: 5/1/18 AG00254: 6/11/18
Green Obs V1: 7/29/11 Black Obs V2: 12/27/11 Black Obs V1: 3/5/22
mattangel

Post by mattangel »

Yeah. It’s so that it doesn’t scratch the sleeve
CzMeteo

Post by CzMeteo »

Do the drawbar pins actually come round side up? I never actually looked at it after solving a maze before it fell out. I have been putting them round side down on both pins for every single one of my puzzles.

I guess it doesn't matter that much, but TIL.
mbmoffat

Post by mbmoffat »

CzMeteo wrote:Do the drawbar pins actually come round side up? I never actually looked at it after solving a maze before it fell out. I have been putting them round side down on both pins for every single one of my puzzles.

I guess it doesn't matter that much, but TIL.
Yeah this is why I was wondering !!
The re-assembly instructions stipulates the draw pins should go in rounded side out...
mbmoffat

Post by mbmoffat »

So the maze pin sits in the sleeve and guides the maze then drops into the core then the dots are lined up.

But the draw pin (with the rounded side out) - What is it's purpose?

I really like to understand things - especially if I am spending untold hours playing with and solving them!.... I also think the more I understand them the better I will be at solving them. does anyone have any ideas?

Matt
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

mbmoffat wrote:But the draw pin (with the rounded side out) - What is it's purpose?
It holds the draw bar and certificate in place until the maze is solved and the rounded end up is just to not scratch the surface of the sleeve.
OPEN: AQUA - TURQUOISE - BLUE - GREEN - BRONZE - SILVER - GOLD - INDIGO - TITANIUM - RED - ORANGE - LIME - GUNMETAL - PURPLE - COPPER - MINT - HANDMADE - MERCURY - BLACK - BLACK MERC - SALMON - GREY - SAPPHIRE - EMERALD - RUBY - PEACH
mbmoffat

Post by mbmoffat »

Ahhh - thank you - that makes sense!!!

Next questions: :)

- why is there a hole in the opposite side of the sleeve? Is it to enable the drilling of the Maze Pin hole?
- if so why are the holes not at 180º....?

fascinated....

Matt
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

mbmoffat wrote:Next questions: :)

- why is there a hole in the opposite side of the sleeve? Is it to enable the drilling of the Maze Pin hole?
Yes it must be to be able to drill the hole for the maze pin. What do you mean with "not at 180º"?
OPEN: AQUA - TURQUOISE - BLUE - GREEN - BRONZE - SILVER - GOLD - INDIGO - TITANIUM - RED - ORANGE - LIME - GUNMETAL - PURPLE - COPPER - MINT - HANDMADE - MERCURY - BLACK - BLACK MERC - SALMON - GREY - SAPPHIRE - EMERALD - RUBY - PEACH
mbmoffat

Post by mbmoffat »

prodigy wrote:
mbmoffat wrote:Next questions: :)

Yes it must be to be able to drill the hole for the maze pin. What do you mean with "not at 180º"?
In the re-assembly instruction it says : "The draw has 2 holes at one end 172.8° apart". ( see attachment for a snapshot of that paragraph). [No spoilers there Shane!!]
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 3.51.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 3.51.32 PM.png (63.58 KiB) Viewed 7988 times

Return to “General”