Skateboard & Revomaze

Area for non-Revo related subjects
Guiltfeeder

Re: Skateboard & Revomaze

Post by Guiltfeeder »

I’m loving the skateboarding updates!!! I’ve been checking in here for them for a little bit now and been meaning to comment. I have recently gotten back into skateboarding as well after ~10+ years of hiatus. Currently nursing a pretty severely sprained wrist but I’m loving being back on a board again. I grew up skating street and lean more towards flip tricks and grinds but since I’ve been back I’ve been trying to work on mini-ramp stuff as well!! Reading your progression has me thinking of new tricks I want to try! I saw you mentioned learning blunt stalls and I can offer my one piece of advice that helped me with Blunt to Rock Fakie. I found the longer I stalled in the blunt, the harder it is to commit. Once I found that balance point inside of the ramp (instead of sitting more on top of the ramp deck while stalled), I try to pop into and out of the blunt as quickly as possible. I spent the day relearning these at the local park a few weeks ago. The moment I stopped stalling them, I landed one and everything clicked again. I can do them to Rock and to pivot but haven’t managed one straight to fakie yet (goals!!). I’m currently trying to learn something frontside as the only coping tricks I know are all backside right now. Something about keeping your back to the ramp is just so scary… I’m hoping to get out this weekend before the cold weather sets in for good. Looking forward to reading about more of your progression!!
Opened: BRAQORBUGRTIMT
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

Guiltfeeder wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:30 pm I’m loving the skateboarding updates!!! I’ve been checking in here for them for a little bit now and been meaning to comment. I have recently gotten back into skateboarding as well after ~10+ years of hiatus. Currently nursing a pretty severely sprained wrist but I’m loving being back on a board again. I grew up skating street and lean more towards flip tricks and grinds but since I’ve been back I’ve been trying to work on mini-ramp stuff as well!! Reading your progression has me thinking of new tricks I want to try! I saw you mentioned learning blunt stalls and I can offer my one piece of advice that helped me with Blunt to Rock Fakie. I found the longer I stalled in the blunt, the harder it is to commit. Once I found that balance point inside of the ramp (instead of sitting more on top of the ramp deck while stalled), I try to pop into and out of the blunt as quickly as possible. I spent the day relearning these at the local park a few weeks ago. The moment I stopped stalling them, I landed one and everything clicked again. I can do them to Rock and to pivot but haven’t managed one straight to fakie yet (goals!!). I’m currently trying to learn something frontside as the only coping tricks I know are all backside right now. Something about keeping your back to the ramp is just so scary… I’m hoping to get out this weekend before the cold weather sets in for good. Looking forward to reading about more of your progression!!
Thanks for your comment and fun with someone else that are back on the board again. I tried to skate today and the ramp was covered by water and leaves so I had to start with cleaning the ramp. The ramp was to slippery when wet so I had to wait for it to dry too. After that it started to get dark so it wasn't a good day for me on the skateboard. I was a little bit scared due to it was slippery and it feels like I cannot skate when it gets dark. Might be due to glasses or my age but it feels scary and I miss the timing.

I decided today that I have to stop skating outdoors after working hours due to the darkness and bad weather, so I will give the steeper indoor ramp another go. Otherwise I have to just skate on the weekends.

Fun that there are someone else besides bluedot99 that likes the progress updates.

I have tried and tried with the Blunts To "SOMETHING" but I still cannot get any pop etc. I guess I maybe need to practice the ollie more before trying these tricks. I will try to think of your tip with "stop stalling them" and see if it helps if I am faster.
OPEN: AQUA - TURQUOISE - BLUE - GREEN - BRONZE - SILVER - GOLD - INDIGO - TITANIUM - RED - ORANGE - LIME - GUNMETAL - PURPLE - COPPER - MINT - HANDMADE - MERCURY - BLACK - BLACK MERC - SALMON - GREY - SAPPHIRE - EMERALD - RUBY - PEACH
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

I now try to always do a couple of switch drop ins each session together with a couple of nose stalls. Feels less and less scary now so that is good. I guess the next step is to try the crooked stall, but I first want to get used to the nose stall and the switch drop in.
I have created 6 different lines (on paper) with 5-7 tricks in each so it will cover all tricks I have learned so far. I think this will be good so I force myself to do the tricks directly after each other. I will practice these now and see how it goes.
OPEN: AQUA - TURQUOISE - BLUE - GREEN - BRONZE - SILVER - GOLD - INDIGO - TITANIUM - RED - ORANGE - LIME - GUNMETAL - PURPLE - COPPER - MINT - HANDMADE - MERCURY - BLACK - BLACK MERC - SALMON - GREY - SAPPHIRE - EMERALD - RUBY - PEACH
bluedot99

Post by bluedot99 »

Oh yay Guiltfeeder, another skater! I’m starting to feel the pressure to try and get back to it, with the both of you actively back to skating 😅 I also mostly did street skating, way back in the late 80s and early 90s, and could never master the blunt… but in street skating it’s definitely a “pop out of it quickly” trick unless you’re sliding it (nothing I could ever do though).

A lot of street skating here in SF, but I know of at least one public skatepark. Though I’d definitely want to find an “old skaters” group!
:D BlueGreenBronzeSilver V1/V2TurquoiseAquaGoldRedMintTitaniumSapphireRuby
:? GunmetalCopperOrangeEmerald
On hand - IndigoLimeGreyHandmadeSalmonPeachmini(brass)
Arriving Soon? - Black (Pilot) LiteTeal? ;)
Want - BlackBlack MercPurple... PM me!
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

bluedot99 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:29 pm Oh yay Guiltfeeder, another skater! I’m starting to feel the pressure to try and get back to it, with the both of you actively back to skating 😅 I also mostly did street skating, way back in the late 80s and early 90s, and could never master the blunt… but in street skating it’s definitely a “pop out of it quickly” trick unless you’re sliding it (nothing I could ever do though).

A lot of street skating here in SF, but I know of at least one public skatepark. Though I’d definitely want to find an “old skaters” group!
I am sure there must be a “old skaters” group and if not, maybe you should start one!

I did also mostly did street skating when I was young but I could drop in and do kickturns in a home made ramp in our area. So mostly ollie over small things and a couple of freestyle tricks.
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

This week we have had bad weather and today when it was better I went to the outdoor ramp but there was too much leaves and water today so after cleaning it up it didn't dry. I gave up after 45 minutes and instead went to the steeper indoor ramp.
It was fun today in the indoor ramp and I didn't try the Rock To Fakie. I will wait a little bit for next try, but I managed to do some tricks today after a couple of runs to get used to the different speed and timing. The tricks I managed to do was:
  • BS Axle Stall
  • FS Axle Stall
  • BS 50-50 Grind
  • BS Feeble Stall
  • BS 5-0 Drop In
  • Switch Drop In
  • Nose Stall
I am happy with that list and very happy to get the Nose Stall and Switch Drop In. So maybe there is hope also for this ramp if I just give it the time it needs. Hopefully I will get the Rock To Fakie soon but otherwise I maybe can use the Nose Stall as the setup trick to be able to ride back fakie for fakie tricks.
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

A month later and it feels a little bit better but still many tricks I have not ben able to take over to this ramp. The nose stall is getting better now and I have done roll in and today I started to lift the back wheels over the cooping so it feels great. I have not been able to try the Rock To Fakie yet, but it feels like it soon is time to give it a try again. So more time and I hope to be able to do all the tricks I have learned earlier in the smaller ramp.
bluedot99

Post by bluedot99 »

It’s amazing how much faster (and scarier) everything is on a bigger ramp. I’m sure you’ll get it soon though! Keep at it, I love reading these updates! :D
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

Today I had a really fun time and started practice Early Grab. It wasn't as hard as I thought and after some practice I could do an Early grab directly after drop in, but only if I didn't tried to get speed so I guess coping hight of the Early grab but really fun. I longing for the next time when I can get back and try more.

I still struggle with the Rock To Fakie and cannot make my feet try it, but the nose stall almost works all the time now and I have been able to take a couple of more tricks to this steeper ram now.

I was riding another private indoor ramp last Sunday and that had the same hight but not as steep. I could do the Rock To Fakie there and additional 7 tricks that I have not done for several months now. It was a really fun session and great to see that I still could do the Rock 2 Fakie :)
bluedot99

Post by bluedot99 »

Sounds like the new ramp was a good experience! Maybe a better intermediate step?

I think like with Revos, it will seem like you are not making any progress for a long time and suddenly everything will click one day! :)

Return to “Off Topic”