Any taxes/fees when shipping puzzles to the U.S.A ?

Area for non-Revo related subjects
kickaha

Any taxes/fees when shipping puzzles to the U.S.A ?

Post by kickaha »

Hi,

I hope this is the right forum for this question.

For those with experience in buying mechanical puzzles online (Revomaze, wooden puzzles, Cast Hanayama, Japanese puzzle boxes, etc.) and shipping to the U.S, are there any taxes or fees that you are ever charged when the package arrives?

I reside in California, so if the answers vary by state, it'd be great if someone from California could share their experience.

So far, I've limited packages to < $200 including shipping, since those are customs free, but with some of the more amazing puzzles out there, I may end up crossing that line sometime soon...

Thanks.
Chyron

Re: Any taxes/fees when shipping puzzles to the U.S.A ?

Post by Chyron »

I've been charged a brokerage fee receiving a puzzle from the UK one time. It wasn't expected as I had ordered several times in the past from various outlets.

Most of the time a Puzzle isn't taxed on import to the US.
Chyron wrote:Sometimes I get the feeling that someone goes around hiding old Puzzles in RevoHQ.
kickaha

Post by kickaha »

How much was this fee?

In what state did you receive the package?
darenwhitaker

Post by darenwhitaker »

Kickaha,

I live in Northern California and have only been billed for a duty fee once and that was a mistake on the part of UPS which I resolved.
I've ordered 3 Revo's in one order from Revo HQ and did not get any tariffs, dutys, fees etc.
I've also ordered a Popplock from Canada and didn't get charged any fees, and that was over $525 USD.
I don't know if there is a dollar amount at which point one might get charged fees.
Chapter 95 of the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (2015)(Rev.2) covers puzzles in the very first section for future reference.

If you are ever charged a fee, you either broke some dollar limit or someone is misreading the laws.

:)
Open - BU02156 / GRmarbles / AQ00066 / MT06-30 / GMmarbles
Working - mini & Black Plastic w/ Green "R"
Not attempted - OR00287 / LM00282 / CU00066 / IN00066 / R00102
CE #058 - Admiring on the shelf
Looking for...Gary Foshee's Open Lock
kickaha

Post by kickaha »

Thanks both for the replies. Daren, this is extremely useful - much appreciated.
Chyron

Post by Chyron »

Mine was a Popplock which I purchased from the UK. It was $50 if I recall (I don't know for sure) on top of the already pretty huge price of a Popplock. It was listed as a Brokerage Fee and UPS would not give me the package without collecting it. I live in MN.

come to think of it, I never did get a response from the seller of the item. I almost had to buy the T10 from them too.
Chyron wrote:Sometimes I get the feeling that someone goes around hiding old Puzzles in RevoHQ.
dutch _puzzler

Post by dutch _puzzler »

I can't help you out because I live in the netherlands but I think you guys are lucky.

Every order from the US or Canada is taxed with 20% + customs handling fee. Then you have the shipping costs.

Recently I had to pay around 100 euro's extra for a 300 euro order from canada.

Expenisve hobby :D
AQ00095 :D BU01174 :D
GR01932 :D BR02232 :D

Gunmetal :? MT01023 :?
OR00029 :?
IN00234 :?
Orko

Post by Orko »

Yep, same here. Sadly that's the reason i don't buy puzzles from puzzle master, cause i did once and orderd puzzles for 160€ .....i had to pay 70€ for shipping if i wanted them in under 3 months.....and for sure it was before Christmas, so i had not much time. Anyway, after waiting 3.5 weeks i got a letter frim the customs there is a package for me and i should pick it up cause everyday it stays there are 50 cent per day and after one week 5 €. So i drive to the customs and had to pay 62€ for taxes and stuff.
So, shipping 70€
Hostel costs for the package 2€
Tax&stuff 62€
Fuel for driving there 10€
Wasted time ...priceless

144€ for nothing for a 160€ order.

The right moment to hug a chainsaw :lol:
BUBUproGRTI SERBRORAGLMCUPU★BL★BLV2★BM★AUAQINGMHM★mini★MTHMMTSLTQ
Voyager #55☆☿☆♀☆ErisMakemake

Extreme,Devil,Deep blue,Aurum,Purple Haze,Eagle-Isis,Tessarisis,Kuku,NKryptor5% Ramisis G1,Devil Ramisis,,Coppernisis,Devil Tarka1%
Rdroege

Post by Rdroege »

Not legally, no. Any and all puzzles fall into a no import tax category. That being said I have had mistakes on either the sellers part (documenting the contents) or customs where I was charged a brokerage fee.
BU00613 open GR00374 open BR00308 open R00026 open
AG00262 closed OR00127 closed
AU00168 boxed TI 38/50 boxed LI 00012 boxed
kickaha

Post by kickaha »

Update: By now I've had the pleasure of receiving 2 orders each for more than $400 with no extra fees whatsoever. One of these was for 4 revomazes from RevoHQ.

This is for northern California and so far the advice above seems to hold for this area.

Thanks!

Return to “Off Topic”