Puzzle Interlocking Mechanisms

Area for non-Revo related subjects
maztec

Puzzle Interlocking Mechanisms

Post by maztec »

I almost put this in the Other Puzzles of Interest forum, but it isn't something that already exists, so I have put it here in Off Topic.

I put this out there in hope that my fellow hardcore puzzle addicts can help me think of something or have seen something that would just be badass and work for this.

What I want: An ingenious mechanism with which to lock pieces of wood together. I suspect such a thing has been created in the puzzle world already, so I am looking for ideas.

Why I want it (which affects design):

I am building a large bookshelf system into my house, replacing a wall with it. My friend, an architect, is doing the design. He has came up with a bad-ass modular design that I really like. Basically it's going to be divided into a bunch of rectangles, within which rectangular boxes can be placed (of varying sizes). Those boxes are capable of sliding in and out. The boxes are about 10" deep, while the lock-spacing is about 4" deep. Thus the shelves fit within.

The easy way to lock those boxes in place is with a screw, into the wall. But that makes it a hassle to remove one and rebuild the space.

Thus, I want something solid to lock the shelf boxes in place, but ingenious enough a little kid can't simply unclip/unlatch/slip it out. While at the same time being a homage to good puzzles.

Here's the kicker. They need to be able to lock in place on four sides, with each other or with the halfwalls of the shelves. Also, it would be ideal to be able to lock the shelves in at varying depths, with the same mechanism.

One system that may work is a ratchet interlock system, where I lift a box up a bit, slip it in over a pin as deep as I need it to be, drop it, and have it lock. The problem is it needs to be able to do that if I turn the box from horizontal to being vertical and visa versa. I also need it to be able to latch onto the box next to it, and have them be able to sit at different depths - thus be able to take two horizontal boxes and flip them so they're two vertical boxes in the same space.

You see now why I think of this as a puzzle problem more than a typical latching problem?

Is anyone aware of any interesting interlocking mechanisms? Probably from one bur puzzle or another, that you could show me a pick of, I could borrow, or hell if it's cheap enough buy to check out and possibly work from to design my shelves?

Oh, and bonus points if someone can think of a mechanism that allows me to always put them together, but encourages a bit more slide/push/wiggle/mount puzzley nature to it ;).

Thanks folks! And I get this together and use a mechanism from here, you're definitely invited over to check it out sometime. :p

Also, I would be happy to post pics of the sketches so far for the space it's going in, and try to explain how it works, or sketch up some things if anyone is curious and wants more details.

Oh and it's all being made out of wood. I can get a CAM machine and get the wood cut to spec for tracks/whatever if need be, or even get pieces made out of metal if I have to, but I have a preference for all wood and dowels and glue.
OOOOOOOoo
jsnbrtn

Re: Puzzle Interlocking Mechanisms

Post by jsnbrtn »

How about a magnetic lock type arrangement, the "female" wall fixed part contains a magnet within a socket that is rotatable to allow release of the "male' part.
The "male" part is a peg type fitting with a low tension spring that retracts the peg(which is also magnetic) when not in use, or the "female" magnet is rotated to allow release.
I'm sure these catches can be bought ready made although I have used similar constructed by myself. Hope this is some use ;)
Ex & Ltd
OPEN==
OPEN==
OPEN==
OPEN== v2
OPEN== v1 .....Just!!!
OPEN==
OPEN==
=[iiii]=
OPEN==
Obs
TEST==
OPEN==
OPEN==
OPEN==
OPEN==
maztec

Post by maztec »

The problem with magnets is that I have sensitive electronics that may live on the shelves sometimes.

I had considered installing magnetic lock rails, but my wife pointed out that magnets strong enough to secure the shelves would be strong enough to mess up my electrons.
OOOOOOOoo
maztec

Post by maztec »

Looking for options, I found a Puzzle Joints website:
http://sawdustmaking.com/woodjoints/puzzle.htm

Really awesome! Site has a lot of other wood joints listed on it too.

Anyone know of any joints that may work for my project?

Of course, another option is to put a grooved pin on the shelf side and a groove into the boxes themselves, to have it fasten in, but that may be a bit too free floating.
OOOOOOOoo
adamwest

Post by adamwest »

I go with the classic dove tail ....
Proud owner of set #16 (RevoTaster)

BU00016 OPEN x and o
GR00016 OPEN x and o
Black o OPEN
BR00016
OPEN
RD00016 OPEN
AG00016 OPEN
AU00016 CLOSED
OR00016 OPEN (mark you're just mean ;) )
maztec

Post by maztec »

Dove tail wouldn't provide it with a clean stopping point when shoved in/out. That is, if you gave it a shove (say by the kid coming in September) it'll just slide the box out. Sure, it could be made tight, but overtime that would be problematic.

Thus, I'm looking for something a bit more involved that actually locks it into place.
OOOOOOOoo
adamwest

Post by adamwest »

you could do a sliding dove tail veritcally to cap off each side. what you want is a japanize puzzle box shelf (maybe).
Proud owner of set #16 (RevoTaster)

BU00016 OPEN x and o
GR00016 OPEN x and o
Black o OPEN
BR00016
OPEN
RD00016 OPEN
AG00016 OPEN
AU00016 CLOSED
OR00016 OPEN (mark you're just mean ;) )
maztec

Post by maztec »

The boxes themselves are probably going to be some type of dovetail ends to connect ot each other.

But it is the connection of the vertical support to the box that is the question. So basically it's a box that needs to be able to connect to the wall from there. Whether by being able to pul lout and reveal a connection joint (cool) or have the connection joint there from the beginning.

One thing I am thinking of is basically cutting a groove at the edge, which will accept a doul of some time, that can then set down a bit and hold it into place. The problem is that if I do that twice on each side (top, bottom, edges, etc) or even just once per side ... then I have a bunch of extra, long cuts that are going to stand out.
OOOOOOOoo
ReVoRabbit

Post by ReVoRabbit »

I'm still in favor of the magnet idea. if you use small magnets they wont affect electronics. if you use a lot of small magnets, they'll have the combined strength to do what you want. you could even do a "floating" box shelf. just saying.
OWNER OF REVOMAZE Set 20
Since February 18 2009
Extreme
BU GR BR AG au pu BL R HM OR TI lm AQ
TQ MT IN CU GM sa GY BKM SP EM ru
PE
v2: BU GR BR Marbles: Brain Store MINI CE
Obsession
Black Body: BU GR R BL
Colored Body: BU GR R BL
Black v2: BUpro GR BL
Prototypes