Revomaze App

Area for non-Revo related subjects
DatabaseMonkey

Re: Revomaze App

Post by DatabaseMonkey »

maztec wrote:
Gdamatov77 wrote:I say first item on the agenda is getting Chris's permission to work on it. Kinda useless to work on everything, then hear from Cris after all is done that we are not allowed.
If you do not have a team and do not know what you are doing and cannot show you have the resources, what permissions are you requesting from him? Sorry, but this is not how this type of project works.
Gdamatov77 wrote:All it takes is a simple email to him, then with his permission, hopefully, we can start diverting who does what, so it really is

the Chicken! :D

You see, this is where you are wrong. It does not take a simple email to him. A simple request before you know you have a team just wastes his time. Furthermore, you do not even know what you are requesting from him.

If you cannot show Chris that you are serious, why should he take you as being serious and give you a reasoned response?

Get a team together, identify its resources, put together a proposal, and then send the package to Chris. In that package ask for the rights that you need and detail what you are talking about.

Your "all it takes is a simple email to Chris" is why 99.999% of projects like this die before they even get on the tree. You are wasting his time, your time, and everyone elses' time by not being serious about it.

I can say the following with absolute certainty:
- If you email Chris now, asking for permission, you will either not get a response or you will get a "show me you are serious" style response. If he gives you anything more than that, you are lucky and I am disappointed in him for giving you more than a "Come back when you are serious" note.
- If you put together a team, show that you have the resources and abilities to do the task, and point out that you have a real, doable goal, you will get one of three responses: "I am interested, tell me more.", "Sorry, but this conflicts with something else i am doing, I cannot give you permission.", or "Go for it!"

If you actually put together a team, I would be happy to make sure the right people talk to Chris about this and that a real proposal is put before him asking for concrete IP rights under a concrete schedule and a concrete set of expectations from both the team and him. Otherwise, you are just wasting everyone's time pissing in the wind.
I like your bluntness. Are you an IP lawyer by any chance? Or just an experience programmer who has done a lot of project management?
Blue Obs V1: Open
Blue Obs V2: Open
Blue Obs Pro: Open

GO: Open
Black Obs V1: Open
Black Obs V2: Started

BR00455: Open
AG00195: In progress. Spinning
AUxxxxx: Arrived
Gdamatov77

Post by Gdamatov77 »

You do realize Maztec that i am referring to 3 different emails. Email number one will be in the begginning asking him for permission to work on such a project. (non-Professional email)

Then, if he says ok, we gather the team, start working on it, get the resources, gather the data, understand what Apple, and the Android market requires of us, and then start working together to collaborate ideas.

After the ideas are thought of, and put down as concrete onto paper, we then email Chris again with all of the information that we have, and request the needed copyrights in order to continue with the project so as not to get sued later on. (Business email)

After we get the response with the needed copyright, we then start working on the idea, start the coding and the designing of the application. Then go through Apple's process of getting it into the market for public use.

After all that is done, we send Chris the final email stating everything is done, giving him whatever is required in terms of the contract previously agreed upon in the second email. (Professional email)

Maztec, don't be so quick to judge a person solely on one response. I am a Business and Law Major. I been interested in this stuff for a few years. Also, due to my previous attempt at once hoping to make my own Iphone App, I do have a slight bit of knowledge in terms of how Apple runs the through the process of getting it onto the market.

Trust me, we need an email first before we go on any further. And yes, I am serious about this. If my services are needed, I would put my work required in in order to get the application functional on the Apple Market.

As for Android, I can't help you there until we get guaranteed approval that we will be allowed to work on this.
31s - 08/06/10 OPEN - 10/01/10 Boxed Boxed
BU01055 - 01/22/11
BR00127 - 07/26/19: ~20-30 Hours
AG - Boxed: Progress - 4 hours
AU - N/A
OR - Boxed: Progress - 1 hour
maztec

Post by maztec »

DatabaseMonkey wrote:I like your bluntness. Are you an IP lawyer by any chance? Or just an experience programmer who has done a lot of project management?
Both. I was an open source programmer in my previous career and managed more projects than I care to remember. I have also led fan negotiations with developers for spin-off projects. The hat I wear these days is as a lawyer with a focus on international IP, business, immigration, privacy, litigation, and contract negotiation.
OOOOOOOoo
Gdamatov77

Post by Gdamatov77 »

Maztec, I LOVE YOU!

Thank you so much. Your previous post above my long one helped me out with something so much regarding my future.

THANK YOU!
BU01055 - 01/22/11
AU - N/A
maztec

Post by maztec »

Gabi:

I just want to start by saying that this is probably your most coherent post to date. I am impressed, and appreciate the time you took to respond.
Gdamatov77 wrote:You do realize Maztec that i am referring to 3 different emails. Email number one will be in the beginning asking him for permission to work on such a project. (non-Professional email)
I am saying that email would be a waste of his time and your time. If you do not know you have a team with the resources to do the project, there is no purpose in such an email.
Then, if he says ok, we gather the team, start working on it, get the resources, gather the data, understand what Apple, and the Android market requires of us, and then start working together to collaborate ideas.
I work with developers in both markets. I have seen more projects fail due to not being able to get a team together than any other reason. If you do not understand your resources, your team, and your ideas, then you do not have the minimum elements necessary to start the project - let alone request permission for a product.
After the ideas are thought of, and put down as concrete onto paper, we then email Chris again with all of the information that we have, and request the needed copyrights in order to continue with the project so as not to get sued later on. (Business email)
You do not even know what IP rights you need here. Without knowing your team, you do not know your product; without knowing your product, you do not know what rights you may even need. Do you need patent rights? Do you need a limited copyright license or permissions? Do you need trademark rights? Do you need trade secret rights? Where do you need these rights? What are the differences in these rights between each region you need them in? Or do you need none of these? Is your idea ultimately unique enough that what you are really wanting to ask Ashton Pitt, Ltd for is permission to start a project on its forums? Do you even know who you need to ask for these permissions and rights from?
After we get the response with the needed copyright, we then start working on the idea, start the coding and the designing of the application.
Business does not work that way. If you cannot show you have a team and a serious product in mind, a business has no interest at all in giving you any "needed" intellectual property rights. Without an actual scope, team, project, and other details in place the most a business can tell you is, "Yes, please send me a proposal." That is a waste of their time and your time. It is easier for the business to say, "No". If you give them a proposal and show you have the requisite resources to carry out the project, the business has incentive to actually evaluate your idea and respond with more than a basic, "No". This is not something you go in asking for an RFP on, and it is a waste of time to make a request for an RFP.
Then go through Apple's process of getting it into the market for public use.
Do you understand how long these types of projects normally take? Do you know what Apple actually requires? This is where your resources come in place. It is entirely possible that someone in this community already is enrolled in the iOS Developer Program and can submit a project for review. It is also possible that there is someone in the community who is a registered Android Developer and already has the required permissions for participating in the Android Market.
After all that is done, we send Chris the final email stating everything is done, giving him whatever is required in terms of the contract previously agreed upon in the second email. (Professional email)
You are correct. Ultimately Ashton Pitt, Ltd, will be able to approve of the project based on the original IP license, if you use any of its IP in the final project.
Maztec, don't be so quick to judge a person solely on one response. I am a Business and Law Major. I been interested in this stuff for a few years. Also, due to my previous attempt at once hoping to make my own Iphone App, I do have a slight bit of knowledge in terms of how Apple runs the through the process of getting it onto the market.
I am not judging you based on a single response. Far from it. In fact, I am not judging you, I am evaluating the project itself. However, I have plenty of things I could judge you by. If you want that judgment, let me know in a PM as it is totally off-topic. As DatabaseMonkey said, I am blunt. I also do not think that you and me getting into the resume-comparison game is going to be fare or end prettily.
Trust me, we need an email first before we go on any further. And yes, I am serious about this. If my services are needed, I would put my work required in in order to get the application functional on the Apple Market.
What skills and services would you add to the project? If you do not have a team, resources, skills, and an idea, you are just pissing up a rope to ask for undefined permissions that you do not even know that you do or do not need.
As for Android, I can't help you there until we get guaranteed approval that we will be allowed to work on this.
Android and iOS development are not as different as most people seem to think. Portage is not that difficult and there are packages in place to make it even easier. However, depending on your actual idea you impact what you actually have to do to make it a reality.
Maztec, I LOVE YOU!

Thank you so much. Your previous post above my long one helped me out with something so much regarding my future.

THANK YOU!
You are welcome, I think. :)
OOOOOOOoo
Gdamatov77

Post by Gdamatov77 »

In response to what you are saying about having the resources first, before getting the permission to even work on it, I understand. I am simply saying that the first email is basically gonna state to Chris that we have an idea that we would like to work on.

As regard for what I can do to contribue to such a project like a Revomaze App., I can do research. I will admit I can't do anymroe than that, but I am willing to do research, and my only request in return, is that we hopefully in the end get an awesome application.

Whoever would be the most appropriate to do each aspect of the project, will be the one working on such part. Keep an eye out for my PM to you, and a topic I shall create to get this started.
BU01055 - 01/22/11
AU - N/A
maztec

Post by maztec »

Gdamatov77 wrote:In response to what you are saying about having the resources first, before getting the permission to even work on it, I understand. I am simply saying that the first email is basically gonna state to Chris that we have an idea that we would like to work on.

As regard for what I can do to contribue to such a project like a Revomaze App., I can do research. I will admit I can't do anymroe than that, but I am willing to do research, and my only request in return, is that we hopefully in the end get an awesome application.

Whoever would be the most appropriate to do each aspect of the project, will be the one working on such part. Keep an eye out for my PM to you, and a topic I shall create to get this started.
Warning: The following thoughts are not logically organized.

Why does there need to be a new topic? What type of research can you do? Get people in this thread that are interested in participating. Get them to share what their skills are, how much time they would be willing to dedicate to a project, and what types of projects they would be willing to work on. Chris reads the forums, I am sure will not be unaware that people are working on this. He has the power to step in and say "No" during the early stages before he is asked for permission.

However, if you feel pressed to ask for permission to do something you cannot define, feel free to use the following form letter.
To Whom It May Concern:

I, and others, who enjoy your products would like to create a spin-off product for mobile devices. We have not defined it yet, other than the idea that it will be inspired by your product and enable sharing of designs. Do we have your permission to discuss our ideas on your forums and ask you for permission again to actually work on the idea? Right now we do not have a team, but we do have a few enthusiastic members who might be interested in working on something, if they had the time. Your permission to seek your permission again after we put together a team and a project proposal would be appreciated.

Thank you,
OOOOOOOoo
Gdamatov77

Revomaze App. team

Post by Gdamatov77 »

As some of you may know, there was an idea that was recently thought of by Left027 to have an Iphone and Android App which would be similar to a Revomaze in structure. Only it would be a digital version of the handheld Revomazes.

"How cool would a revo-app be on the iPhone? It could vibrate when you screw up or make a click sound. You could turn the nob with the touch screen and control the translational movement by tilting your phone."
-Left027

It will take quite some time to complete such a project like this. It will require much research, lots of effort into the programming, design, and process of getting it onto the Apple market for public use.

If we are absolutely certain that we would like something like this, as Maztec said, we will need a fully co-operative team in order to get this done.

This topic was made by me to see who is interested to be part of the team, and who has specific skills that we may need in order to get this done.

Required skillsets as of my current knowledge (to be updated):

Software Development -
1) Left027

Graphic Design -

Project Manager -

Product Research -

Legal -

Project Developer -

Rest to be updated as I am informed of other requirements.
Last edited by Gdamatov77 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
BU01055 - 01/22/11
AU - N/A
Gdamatov77

Post by Gdamatov77 »

I made the new topic already. If you have not sent Chris the email, I shall copy and send it to him as soon as possible.

Besides, I think by personal opinion, if we keep the team names and all work associated to the project on this topic, it will become a mess. I know due to my highly incapable urge to constantly post, and final results of which end off-topic.

So I made a new topic to be solely on the team's work on it and progress on it as well.
BU01055 - 01/22/11
AU - N/A
left027

Re: Revomaze App. team

Post by left027 »

We will need several programmers. I can be one.
BU01079 2/8/11; GR00471 2/19/11; BR00473 2/23/11; AG00251 Revo-ing; Gold Sitting in its plastic bag
OR00031 Revo-ing; R00091 Revo-ing;Blue Obsession 3/23/11; Green Obsession 3/23/11; Black Obsession 3/6/11

Return to “Off Topic”