Revomaze App

Area for non-Revo related subjects
Tryitloveit

Re: Revomaze App

Post by Tryitloveit »

I wish i used my phone enough to justify one of those shiney new smartphones just for this. :cry:
BU01121-Open
GR00047 Open
BR00453-Open
bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k »

Gdamatov77 wrote:I think our best bet is to ask Mark if he would be willing to use his skills for it. After we get Chris's permission, hopefully Mark will be willing to use his skills for yet another thing as well that's awesome.
I didn't know Mark was a programmer, I thought he was more a graphics design man?
Puzzle wiki:
Puzzle Place
|11SE: BUopenGRopenBRopenAGv1deadAGv2repairAUwaitingTIopen
11LE: BLopenRopenORopenHMrepairLMPU
25: BUopenGRopenBRopenAGv1openAGv2openAUopen
Ob: BUopenGRopenBLopenBLv2openRD
Minirepair
1st to open a ReVoMaze
Gdamatov77

Post by Gdamatov77 »

Left027 requested that someone else needed to do graphics, so I figured I'd say that Mark is the best one available that we know of.

And damm my 65 wpm.
31s - 08/06/10 OPEN - 10/01/10 Boxed Boxed
BU01055 - 01/22/11
BR00127 - 07/26/19: ~20-30 Hours
AG - Boxed: Progress - 4 hours
AU - N/A
OR - Boxed: Progress - 1 hour
mhuti

Post by mhuti »

Given that we all agree that revomazes are fantastic and such a challenge why would you want to water down or compromise that experience in any way? Surely the simplicity of the puzzle is part of the attraction, not it's level or involvement of technology. I wish you luck but if it ain't a revomaze I won't be rushing to buy it anytime soon. :?: :idea:
maztec

Post by maztec »

mhuti wrote:Given that we all agree that revomazes are fantastic and such a challenge why would you want to water down or compromise that experience in any way? Surely the simplicity of the puzzle is part of the attraction, not it's level or involvement of technology. I wish you luck but if it ain't a revomaze I won't be rushing to buy it anytime soon. :?: :idea:

I have to agree with mhuti on this, which is why I referenced the Papa Sangre game.

However, there are some really neat ideas that are RevoMaze inspired that could be done. If people really want to do this, there are a lot of questions we need to ask and answer. Otherwise it is just a bunch of dreams pissing in the wind and a glorious set up for failure.

The following is a rough-list of high-end steps that need to be taken in the order that my experience says identifies as functional, this list lacks specificity and many details:
  1. Identify available resources, skills, and interest in participation.
  2. Set up a project plan and realistic goals.
  3. Obtain relevant initial permissions from Ashton Pitt Ltd.
  4. Get all players on-board with the agreement with Ashton Pitt Ltd.
  5. Brainstorm, initial design.
  6. Allocate resources, initiate development.
  7. ??? (intentionally vague, there is a lot that is skipped in this list).
  8. Distribute
I do not think anyone wants to see a half-assed RevoMaze wanna-be clone for the <insert preferred handheld device>, but that is what we will get if it is not properly approached.

Now let me see .... Disclaimer time:
This is not legal advice. This is not an agreement to represent anyone for anything in regards to this or any other project. This is merely my opinion as a businessman who has been through more projects like this than he cares to remember at this point, and doesn't enjoy seeing them fail. If you do not want my input be up-front about it, as I would rather not waste my time to find out that my input was unwanted.

Yo. :mrgreen:

- Jay
OOOOOOOoo
left027

Post by left027 »

Good plan! So I guess that means we should start with number 1.
maztec wrote:1. Identify available resources, skills, and interest in participation.
Resources: Computer, iPhone, friend with droid phone
Skills: C/C++/C Sharp and also Java. iPhone is C Objective so I can figure it out. Droid appears to have C/C++ libraries and Java libraries. Interesting.
Interest: Best idea ever. ;) (Just kidding)

What else we need: Awesome graphics, a debugging friend, maybe even device teams (iPhone and Droid), and ideas!

So yeah, we need to get me some buddies to work on this. If you have programming skills and are interested then fantastic! If you have a preference of working on droid or iPhone that's cool too. If you have ideas, that's even better! Like maztec said, we don't want this to suck. Let's figure out how much man power is available and if this is a realistic project. If it seems like it is then we'll talk to Chris. No need wasting his time if it's just going to be me. :lol:
BU01079 2/8/11; GR00471 2/19/11; BR00473 2/23/11; AG00251 Revo-ing; Gold Sitting in its plastic bag
OR00031 Revo-ing; R00091 Revo-ing;Blue Obsession 3/23/11; Green Obsession 3/23/11; Black Obsession 3/6/11
Gdamatov77

Post by Gdamatov77 »

I say first item on the agenda is getting Chris's permission to work on it. Kinda useless to work on everything, then hear from Cris after all is done that we are not allowed.
BU01055 - 01/22/11
AU - N/A
left027

Post by left027 »

This is a chicken or the egg scenerio. :lol:

If it's just me it's probably not going to happen, but if other people are interested then I think it's worth spending Chris's time to see if he's okay with it.
BU01079 2/8/11; GR00471 2/19/11; BR00473 2/23/11; AG00251 Revo-ing; Gold Sitting in its plastic bag
OR00031 Revo-ing; R00091 Revo-ing;Blue Obsession 3/23/11; Green Obsession 3/23/11; Black Obsession 3/6/11
Gdamatov77

Post by Gdamatov77 »

All it takes is a simple email to him, then with his permission, hopefully, we can start diverting who does what, so it really is

the Chicken! :D
BU01055 - 01/22/11
AU - N/A
maztec

Post by maztec »

Gdamatov77 wrote:I say first item on the agenda is getting Chris's permission to work on it. Kinda useless to work on everything, then hear from Cris after all is done that we are not allowed.
If you do not have a team and do not know what you are doing and cannot show you have the resources, what permissions are you requesting from him? Sorry, but this is not how this type of project works.
Gdamatov77 wrote:All it takes is a simple email to him, then with his permission, hopefully, we can start diverting who does what, so it really is

the Chicken! :D

You see, this is where you are wrong. It does not take a simple email to him. A simple request before you know you have a team just wastes his time. Furthermore, you do not even know what you are requesting from him.

If you cannot show Chris that you are serious, why should he take you as being serious and give you a reasoned response?

Get a team together, identify its resources, put together a proposal, and then send the package to Chris. In that package ask for the rights that you need and detail what you are talking about.

Your "all it takes is a simple email to Chris" is why 99.999% of projects like this die before they even get on the tree. You are wasting his time, your time, and everyone elses' time by not being serious about it.

I can say the following with absolute certainty:
- If you email Chris now, asking for permission, you will either not get a response or you will get a "show me you are serious" style response. If he gives you anything more than that, you are lucky and I am disappointed in him for giving you more than a "Come back when you are serious" note.
- If you put together a team, show that you have the resources and abilities to do the task, and point out that you have a real, doable goal, you will get one of three responses: "I am interested, tell me more.", "Sorry, but this conflicts with something else i am doing, I cannot give you permission.", or "Go for it!"

If you actually put together a team, I would be happy to make sure the right people talk to Chris about this and that a real proposal is put before him asking for concrete IP rights under a concrete schedule and a concrete set of expectations from both the team and him. Otherwise, you are just wasting everyone's time pissing in the wind.
OOOOOOOoo

Return to “Off Topic”