Monthly News Comment Thread

For all general forum discussions.
Stigy

Re: Monthly News Comment Thread

Post by Stigy »

I too would like to vote for Chris (Revomaster) spending maybe 10 mins a month on the forum.
Although I do feel happier now with the great updates from Barcared giving us quite a good idea of what's happening, it would be nice to hear from Chris himself occasionally, and 10 or 15 mins once a month (once a fortnight would be even better ;) ) shouldn't be too much to ask.
mattangel

Post by mattangel »

It should probably be stressed that the information being released by Nigel IS good information. It comes from meeting with Chris and discussing details of the release and the problems that are being encountered during the manufacturing process. Nigel isn't proffering this information as his best guess, and I'm not sure that Chris himself would have any more useful information to give us. I'll also note that Chris is aware that communication is critical to maintaining happy customers and is currently working through backlogs of e-mails and PM's. As we are many, it may take a bit of time to get a response. :P
RodMingo

Post by RodMingo »

Stigy wrote:I too would like to vote for Chris (Revomaster) spending maybe 10 mins a month on the forum.
Although I do feel happier now with the great updates from Barcared giving us quite a good idea of what's happening, it would be nice to hear from Chris himself occasionally, and 10 or 15 mins once a month (once a fortnight would be even better ;) ) shouldn't be too much to ask.
+1

Rod
BLUE EX OPEN, BLACK OB OPEN, GREEN OB REVOING
mhuti

Post by mhuti »

Response to jsnbrtn;

Anything I say below is pure speculation based on my own previous experiences NOT conversations with any of the MODs or Revomaze staff/owners.

The point I was making was that a degree of perspective is needed here. I believe that Revomaze is fully committed to meeting our needs even when that means there are delays to ensure quality.

I have been in Chris's position whilst working in Quality Assurance for an Aerospace contractor. When a supplier lets you down, it is not always straightforward to repair or undo the damage they have done. Suppliers when faced with a large and valuable order of reject items will swear blue is red to try an force you to accept a lower or variable quality accross the batch. obviously this is not acceptable and it may be that;
1. Not only does the plating have to be redone but new cores have to be made because of the damage that has been done to the rejected cores or the cost of recycling the core is too great (not counting all of the extra inspection that is required).
2. The suppiler cannot achieve the required quality, this leads to a search for new suppliers who's methods and results (plating) have to be checked and approved. This takes time and does not preclude the same thing happening again.
3. Meanwhile the customers are screaming for their orders to be filled. When you speak to them and explain the situation, you know and they know that there own Quality inspection team would reject the items back to you if you let the Quality slide. But this doesn't matter to customers in this situation the S*** doesn't roll down hill it rolls back up to the manufacturer.
4. So now you have to source new barstock and rearrange your CNC fittings to remake items that are now scrap and guess what your Barstock supplier can not get the materials you want because he has none in stock and the lead time (minumum re-order time) is 3 weeks at best (no guarantees)... and so it goes on...

The only solution to this problem is to find reliable suppliers I hear you say, well this is very true. But it is not always possible to achieve, often it is the good suppliers that go out of business because they spend longer on ahcieving the required quality and therefore their margins are tighter. There is no easy way to fix or hurry along a situation like this and Chris as a small company cannot bully his suppliers to 'get it right' not in the same way as a large commercial company might. The only contracts of work Chris can offer his suppliers are irregular and small production runs. This is a Bespoke' product with a finite lifespan and limited repeat business based on an indeterminate future demand.

Yes it would be nice to have a word with Chris but just think for a minute what he is trying to achieve so that we can enjoy these puzzles. I would prefer to believe the best of Chris and Revomaze than the worst. That is my point.
Killerkel

Post by Killerkel »

The only solution to this problem is to find reliable suppliers I hear you say.......hmm

I don't like the pre-order system, for goods that are not yet made, or tested.

If we were not allowed to pre-order, then the problem would not impact on us so much. Ie waiting for goods that we have paid for, that may be rushed.

The worst thing is be to promised a new toy for Christmas, only to find out that you got a pair of socks and a tie again! :| :lol: :lol:
Stigy

Post by Stigy »

Killerkel wrote:The worst thing is be to promised a new toy for Christmas, only to find out that you got a pair of socks and a tie again! :| :lol: :lol:
No, the worst thing would be to get that new toy and have it wear out or break very quickly.

The delay is MUCH preferrable to that. And as Matt said above, Nigel is getting his update info directly from Chris, and so the updates are reliable and accurate, as of the time they are written. The delays are no doubt due to issues along the lines mhuti has suggested, and are out of Chris's complete control, which is I'm sure why there is no way a certain release date can be given. The problem is Revos are too good and we're all just too excited to get fresh new ones :lol:

Having said all of that, I still think it would be valueable to hear it from Chris's mouth/keyboard occasionally :D
AFKAN

Post by AFKAN »

I think we need to remember that we're not dealing with a huge global company, but a rather small and very niche manufacturer of something we're all currently loving*

*can be substituted for almost any other word, maybe hating :lol:
Graham:-)
Ex
AG00078 - 22-03-11
R00104 - 06-01-12
OR00053 -20-01-12
LM - Hmm
TI00032 - Let's Go!!!...
Ob
Blue - 09-10-10
Blue Pro - 09-12-11
Green - 03-11-10
Black - 12-11-10
Black v2 - 04-02-12
Red - So near and yet...
Tryitloveit

Post by Tryitloveit »

You just have to remember they will come...eventually. I would much rather have a puzzle that will last a lifetime and have to wait for it then have one now that will wear out after a month. You just need to say "son of a CLICK" :lol: and get on with your day ;)
BU01121-Open
GR00047 Open
BR00453-Open
smiteo

Post by smiteo »

thanks again for the updates, Barcared!

I just wish there was more to go on... Last time we got a detailed update on the Gold, the only issue was the plating... Is that still the hold-up?
Or is it new issues?

The promise of the next update to be in February doesn't give me warm fuzzies about Gold delivery in January... Is there any plans for RevoMaze HQ to hire more people? It sounds like they are WAY overwhelmed...

*sigh*

granted, we all just want to get our puzzles, and I know we'll be delighted when we do... the frustration is just the endless delays...
OOOOOOOOOO? proud owner of set #29, BL09, R00009, OR00009, LM00009, HM-09 and BlackV2obs
DatabaseMonkey

Post by DatabaseMonkey »

smiteo, I think the next update is promised for February simply because Nigel has promised to give updates monthly on what is going on ;)
Blue Obs V1: Open
Blue Obs V2: Open
Blue Obs Pro: Open

GO: Open
Black Obs V1: Open
Black Obs V2: Started

BR00455: Open
AG00195: In progress. Spinning
AUxxxxx: Arrived

Return to “General”