Mapping Challenge

For all general forum discussions.
maztec

Mapping Challenge

Post by maztec »

First: DO NOT POST ANY MAPS HERE! This is about technique and method, not for sharing the maps themselves.

I know a lot of people have discussed different mapping techniques, but I am curious how others do it. Plus, it might help those who are just getting into the mazes with ideas on how to go about mapping.

How do you map? What do you use to help make you map better? What do you think would help you be better at mapping? If you don't map, why not? When did you start mapping the mazes?

And for those of you who have seen maps in the open forums, who makes the best maps?

If anyone thinks me making a mapping thread is inappropriate, let me know, and we can close/discontinue/move it to somewhere more appropriate.
OOOOOOOoo
MJShasko

Re: Mapping Challenge

Post by MJShasko »

Such a topic warms my heart :D
BU00394 GR00177 BR00163 AG00211 AU00059 BL16LE R00059 OR00059
HM12-20 LM00059 TI40-50 BUobs BUobs2 GRobs BLobs BLobs2 RDobs

To do: R2 #59 PU000xx
smiteo

Post by smiteo »

I'm sure it does, Mike!

"the king of the mappers!"
OOOOOOOOOO? proud owner of set #29, BL09, R00009, OR00009, LM00009, HM-09 and BlackV2obs
Sejanus

Post by Sejanus »

Yeah Mike easily has that title. His maps are frighteningly good! I have been trying to apply for apprenticeship under him but my maps are nothing like his.. :lol: :lol:
R1:
Open: BU00955 (RIP) & 1055, Green, Bronze, Red

Voyager #44:
Open:
Closed:Ç
mattangel

Post by mattangel »

The first thing I actually do is define the major trap lines. This divides the puzzle into manageable sections and hopefully points to a particular direction. It's also useful to note anything "odd" that you feel in the trap lines. It may correlate to something in the progression path. As it has been said many, many times before: Mapping dead space is the way to go. You're in the traps enough..you might as well use them ;) This works pretty well until silver, at which point, all bets are off. I obsessed over two "odd" features in the major traps for days without thinking about what they might or might not be.
TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler »

And here was me thinking that based on the title, you were setting a challenge to map something ;) Guess RevoMaster has the claim to that one.

As far as mapping goes, from those that have seen my maps in the open groups, I use excel. What you don't see is that I spend (at least for the extreme puzzles) around an hour and a half creating a 1mm scale around the sleeve, with a ruler, scotch tape, and a sharpie. I create 5mm sections which I mark up on the tape, then stick to the sleeve. Each piece is a double layer of tape, as sharpies are anything but permanent!

From there, I work in excel, marking the rotation using the scale I have created, and a mark on the nut where the entry point to the maze is as a reference. Distance in/out is mapped using a good old fashioned ruler.

My maps contain depth of pin, which you will learn based on the feel, along with each turn, curve and the colours to represent 'features'. For those working on mazes, you'll know what I mean by that.

Until Silver that worked perfectly.

For silver, I have started in Excel, and at a certain point, when I was making no further progress, I took my 'flat' map, and created a (near) exact replica in wood, using a wooden dowel which is almost identical in diameter to the shaft, and then carved the map onto that. So I can now see in full 3D the map.
open open open open open open open

http://puzzling-parts.thejuggler.net/
maztec

Post by maztec »

TheJuggler wrote:And here was me thinking that based on the title, you were setting a challenge to map something ;) Guess RevoMaster has the claim to that one.
Hah! Good idea that. I was thinking along the lines of, "The challenge that is mapping." Rather than an actual challenge/contest. Then again, perhaps there is a challenge to see who has the best method of mapping. It'd be great if certain people would reveal their mapping secrets ;). Or if anyone else has a great idea on how to handle mapping, providing more information.
The Juggler wrote: For silver, I have started in Excel, and at a certain point, when I was making no further progress, I took my 'flat' map, and created a (near) exact replica in wood, using a wooden dowel which is almost identical in diameter to the shaft, and then carved the map onto that. So I can now see in full 3D the map.
What did you use to carve the wood with for your map?
OOOOOOOoo
MJShasko

Post by MJShasko »

I can reveal my mapping secrets only if everyone promises not use them on their Golds until I'm done ... but feel free to use them on my orange design when it comes out :)
BU00394 GR00177 BR00163 AG00211 AU00059 BL16LE R00059 OR00059
HM12-20 LM00059 TI40-50 BUobs BUobs2 GRobs BLobs BLobs2 RDobs

To do: R2 #59 PU000xx
TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler »

maztec wrote:
What did you use to carve the wood with for your map?
I worked with my dremel and a carving bit. I have two different sizes of bit that I use, one which is smaller to allow me to get more depth. It's needed to replicate the detail in the silver, as I don't have a machine or computer controlled carving tool ;)

I'll admit that the map is not perfect, and is based on my own measurements and 'view' of what's going on in there, but it's good enough that I can see what is happening. If that's even possible :lol:
open open open open open open open

http://puzzling-parts.thejuggler.net/
Stigy

Post by Stigy »

Daymn, that's full on Juggler.

For Blue I just mapped in my head.

For Green and Black I used Paint, and just did it VERY roughly, using the Serial No. vs the Revomaze label as clock indications (lined up is 12, opposite sides is 6) for the rotation, and using a few lines on my thumb as indications of how far the shaft was out :)

For Bronze and then Red I still used the Serial No. clock rotation method, but added a ruler for depth.

I don't like the idea of sticking things on the shaft, and will resist doing so unless the Silver (which I'm onto once it is engraved and arrives) drives me insane :lol: I still like to leave a degree of mystery and assumption about what's going on inside :D

Return to “General”