Mapping Challenge

For all general forum discussions.
Crypton

Re: Mapping Challenge

Post by Crypton »

The mapper for the Obession V2 works perfectly.
I was able to open my Black Obsession within 2h after attaching the mapper.
But: as mentioned before: there was no real feeling of accomplishment after opening it using the mapper (felt more than cheating)...

My advise: use carefully and only if you don't know any further.
AQ01342: 2018-09-06: ~15h, BU02953: 2018-08-25: ~20h, GR02049: 2018-04-24: 3.5h, MT01086: 0h, BR02343: 2018-03-26: ~40h, IN00191: 10h, GM00112: 1h, ORxxxxx: arrived, CU00018: 0h, TI(SE)18-50: 0h, AGxxxxx: arrived,
Obsession-Pro: 2018-09-08: ~10h, Obsession-Black: 2019-01-20: ~90h, Mini: 0h (it's soooo tiny! :o )
ReallyBigTeeth

Post by ReallyBigTeeth »

I'm glad it worked. You're right about it taking the challenge away from the puzzles. I started and opened Bronze and Copper in the same day using a mapper. That led me to putting a disclaimer at the top of the Thingiverse design pages warning people to use it only as a last resort. I like starting the puzzles with a gripper, and using a mapper when I need that last bit of help.
Indigo - Solved
Gunmetal - Solved
Copper - Solved
Bronze - Solved
Orange - Solved
Titanium - Solved
Silver - Closed
doc81

Post by doc81 »

Haha....good idea on the disclaimer. The gripper works great so thank you for that! I see that your sig shows Silver closed yet. Curious if you have tried the mapper on that ReallyBigTeeth?
SET SERIAL #7021
OPENED: AQUA - BLUE - GREEN - MINT - TITANIUM - BRONZE - MINI
CLOSED: COPPER - GUNMETAL - ORANGE - INDIGO - SILVER - HANDMADE
ReallyBigTeeth

Post by ReallyBigTeeth »

I've heard that silver is a really tough challenge, and I'm not sure how I want to start it. I have a feeling I'll end up using the mapper, But I'd like to avoid it as much as possible. I was considering giving Crypton's graph paper Idea a try. I've just been to busy lately. I'd like to have a decent chunk of time to work on it.
Indigo - Solved
Gunmetal - Solved
Copper - Solved
Bronze - Solved
Orange - Solved
Titanium - Solved
Silver - Closed
ghxost

Post by ghxost »

Got my stand and two grippers today. I absolutely love the stand - will be printing more as more Revos arrive here :D

As for the grippers. I was very excited to get them as my fingers hurt a bit. I thought it would help.
I've gotten way to used to grabbing the bolt directly that using the gripper is hard. I'm sure I could get used to it quickly but right now I prefer the cold metal on my fingers.

Have not, and likely will not, tried the mapper - didn't even print it. In it for the challenge - no maps and no mercy!

Oh and THANK YOU for your work on those projects!
Seeking:
Black extreme (not merc), Red (extreme), Ruby, Peach
Ramisi5, devil isis, devil copernisis (or other harder variants)
ReallyBigTeeth

Post by ReallyBigTeeth »

You're welcome. I hope you find them useful. Good luck with your Revos. Bronze, you might get away with not mapping, but Copper has a lot to keep track of without a map. Hold out as long as you can!
Indigo - Solved
Gunmetal - Solved
Copper - Solved
Bronze - Solved
Orange - Solved
Titanium - Solved
Silver - Closed
mcparty

Post by mcparty »

I really need help with mapping. I can't seem to figure out a system that works well. Does anyone care to share their strategies and how successful they have been? Thanks in advance.

Mike
Open:Aqua, Blue, Green, Black, Bronze, Mint, and Salmon
In Progress: Orange
Looking For: Indigo, Titanium, Copper
ReallyBigTeeth

Post by ReallyBigTeeth »

Well, you're definitely in the right forum thread. Have you read through the previous posts? There are some pretty good ideas here already.
Indigo - Solved
Gunmetal - Solved
Copper - Solved
Bronze - Solved
Orange - Solved
Titanium - Solved
Silver - Closed
mcparty

Post by mcparty »

I did read through most, but it seems that this has been more of a discussion on 3d printed mappers and rigs that people have constructed. I'm looking to map with graph paper, but am having a hard time coming up with a scale that is effective, especially rotationally. I seem to begin my maps and then things start to overlap, like I'm not scaling well. I'll keep looking though!

Thanks

Mike
Open:Aqua, Blue, Green, Black, Bronze, Mint, and Salmon
In Progress: Orange
Looking For: Indigo, Titanium, Copper
Brassassin

Post by Brassassin »

What I did was draw a ruler / centimeter scale on a piece of low tac tape and wrap this around the end of the sleeve (NOT the core). I put a little dot on the core with a magic marker.
I then correlate the dot to the ruler scale, and use the number of centimeters as a measure of rotation of the core relative to the sleeve.
I measure the depth of the pin by measuring how far the core is sticking out of the sleeve, using calipers.

I then take a piece of graph paper and put down the same centimeter scale I used on the sleeve (which is about 12,5cm (or almost 5 inches) in a horizontal ruler a the bottom of the page.

This way I can draw in a fairly accurate way where the position of the pin is.

I believe some people here use one of the trainers on their cores and tape a printed ruler on that (instead of on the sleeve). This would work great as well.

I hope my description was clear enough and hope it helps. Good luck! IMO mapping is part of the fun.
Opened: BU BR TI OR GR IN MT AQ TQ AG
Closed: CU GM LM GY HM

Return to “General”