Mapping Challenge

For all general forum discussions.
ReallyBigTeeth

Re: Mapping Challenge

Post by ReallyBigTeeth »

I just published version two of the mapper. It maintains proper position and orientation of the maze to help with certain dynamic elements. Check it out here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2831530 .

I only have the Indigo and Gunmetal mazes which have maps that are under 45mm (width of paper for the mapper). Please let me know if any mazes are wider and I will adjust the design.

Indigo - Solved
Gunmetal - Solved
Copper - Solved
Bronze - Solved
Orange - Solved
Titanium - Solved
Silver - Closed
Crypton

Post by Crypton »

Will put it on the printer tonight and report back!

Thanks!
AQ01342: 2018-09-06: ~15h, BU02953: 2018-08-25: ~20h, GR02049: 2018-04-24: 3.5h, MT01086: 0h, BR02343: 2018-03-26: ~40h, IN00191: 10h, GM00112: 1h, ORxxxxx: arrived, CU00018: 0h, TI(SE)18-50: 0h, AGxxxxx: arrived,
Obsession-Pro: 2018-09-08: ~10h, Obsession-Black: 2019-01-20: ~90h, Mini: 0h (it's soooo tiny! :o )
Crypton

Post by Crypton »

Ok. Very first impressions...
I literary only tested the fit (I’m still missing a M4x40), so I haven’t tested mapping with it yet.

But I don’t like it. It feels ... wrong.
It might be because I‘m used to V1, but having the Sleve (where the map is being written on) move with the core and the Penholder being fixed to the Revo-Sleve feels wrong.
AQ01342: 2018-09-06: ~15h, BU02953: 2018-08-25: ~20h, GR02049: 2018-04-24: 3.5h, MT01086: 0h, BR02343: 2018-03-26: ~40h, IN00191: 10h, GM00112: 1h, ORxxxxx: arrived, CU00018: 0h, TI(SE)18-50: 0h, AGxxxxx: arrived,
Obsession-Pro: 2018-09-08: ~10h, Obsession-Black: 2019-01-20: ~90h, Mini: 0h (it's soooo tiny! :o )
ReallyBigTeeth

Post by ReallyBigTeeth »

I know exactly what you mean. I thought the same thing when I first started to use it. I wasn't sure how to hold it, and it was disorienting. I re-mapped the Indigo, and after a while I got used to it, but I think the true test will be when I start working on the Bronze. I wish I had the V2 mapper when I was working on the Gunmetal. I wasn't sure I'd ever figure that one out.

When you create your first map and open the puzzle, you'll see why the V2 mapper has such a big advantage over the V1 when working on mazes with dynamic elements. Make sure you follow the assembly instructions on the Thingiverse page. The advantage really comes from it's setup alignment.

Thanks for reminding me, I should add the screw lengths to the Thingiverse page. One M4x40 and one M4x20.
Indigo - Solved
Gunmetal - Solved
Copper - Solved
Bronze - Solved
Orange - Solved
Titanium - Solved
Silver - Closed
cmh714

Post by cmh714 »

Some comments, no complaints :)

Just got the Mapper printed up and unfortunately it does not work on V2 Revo's...the sleeve is different so the pen holder wont lock on. I suppose the pen holder could be changed slightly to work with different dimensions...Also wont work on Obsessions since the shaft is not the septagon shape.

Will give it a whirl on 2 others I have...
Blue - Obsession but box says Extreme :) - In Progress
Green V2 - In Progress
Bronze - Not Started
Gun Metal - Not Started
ReallyBigTeeth

Post by ReallyBigTeeth »

Thanks for the feedback cmh714. I hadn't considered the Obsessions.

It looks like the Obsessions and V2 have the same two recessed bands in the sleeve. I would Imagine that the dimensions are the same as the V1, so I can make a pen holder that will work with Obsessions/v2s. It looks like it's just the Obsessions that have round grips on the ends of the core. Would it be safe to assume that they are 20 mm +/- 0.05 mm in diameter? How far do they stick out from the sleeve with the puzzle in the starting position?

The Pen holder might be a bit bulky, but it can be made to work, and the map holder can be modified easily. If someone can let me know the dimensions, i'll make some changes and add new parts to the Thingiverse design page.

I'd have to caution anyone who uses the map holder on an Obsession core that it could become damaged from the forces applied by the mapper. I would test it myself first, but I don't have an obsession puzzle.
Indigo - Solved
Gunmetal - Solved
Copper - Solved
Bronze - Solved
Orange - Solved
Titanium - Solved
Silver - Closed
cmh714

Post by cmh714 »

I can break out the calipers tomorrow for a measurement of the V2.

For the Obsession, yeah the plastic core is round, so not sure if that would be tight enough without messing it up.
Green V2 - In Progress
Bronze - Not Started
Gun Metal - Not Started
ReallyBigTeeth

Post by ReallyBigTeeth »

I can break out the calipers tomorrow for a measurement of the V2.
Sounds good. I should have some time after work tomorrow night to work on it.
For the Obsession, yeah the plastic core is round, so not sure if that would be tight enough without messing it up.
Only one way to find out! We just need a willing donor. :|
Indigo - Solved
Gunmetal - Solved
Copper - Solved
Bronze - Solved
Orange - Solved
Titanium - Solved
Silver - Closed
cmh714

Post by cmh714 »

Ok, So for the Obsession I have its virtually the same dimensions as the Extreme V1. The core is completely round not a septagon. It is also a wee bit longer, as in the ends stick out just a touch more. It is approximately 13-14 mm per side. The diameter is ~23.86 mm same as the Extreme.

I have attached a picture of a V1 and a V2 together...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TYpE48 ... sp=sharing

Extreme V2: More or less the same dimensions as a V1 but the sleeve is smooth...my suggestions is to move the pen holder up onto the fat part of the sleeve in the groove, that is common between the V1 and V2. Not sure if that would make it uncomfortable to use...my rough calculation shows the pen holder would need to be shortened by ~11mm or so to use that groove.

The dimension of the groove is: ~ 7mm wide and 49.07mm in diameter

HTH :)

EDIT: Just read your previous post again, and yeah, what you said about moving it ;^)

And one other thing....my V2 doesnt have a Serial number that I can see (its deeper in the puzzle). And the Obsession doesnt have one at all as best I can tell
Green V2 - In Progress
Bronze - Not Started
Gun Metal - Not Started
ReallyBigTeeth

Post by ReallyBigTeeth »

My current thinking is that it makes more sense to modify the V1 Mapper for use with the Obsession and V2 puzzles. There isn't a dynamic element to those puzzles, so matching the orientation and position of the map with the core maze isn't necessary. Also, if you can't use the serial number to align the map holder properly, it would be difficult to tell when the puzzle is in the solved position while the map holder is covering the extended core. I think it would be easier to hold and manipulate as well.

I was thinking about shortening the map holder of the V1 Mapper to more closely match the V2 Mapper, so this gives me a good excuse to do that. Thanks for your measurements and input cmh714, I'll get started on the new parts tonight.
Indigo - Solved
Gunmetal - Solved
Copper - Solved
Bronze - Solved
Orange - Solved
Titanium - Solved
Silver - Closed

Return to “General”