Mapping Challenge

For all general forum discussions.
Gdamatov77

Re: Mapping Challenge

Post by Gdamatov77 »

smiteo wrote:here's what I built a while back...

it is a bit too clunky to work well... but it was fun to build...
is that thing near the revo logo a shaft for holding a pencil? if so, i would like to buy one off of u, cause that is what i am hoping to use to map out my puzzles from here on out.
31s - 08/06/10 OPEN - 10/01/10 Boxed Boxed
BU01055 - 01/22/11
BR00127 - 07/26/19: ~20-30 Hours
AG - Boxed: Progress - 4 hours
AU - N/A
OR - Boxed: Progress - 1 hour
smiteo

Post by smiteo »

Sorry, Gabi.... the mapper doesn't work well enough to give it away, much less sell it... You're better off figuring another system to map...

Cheers,
Derek
OOOOOOOOOO? proud owner of set #29, BL09, R00009, OR00009, LM00009, HM-09 and BlackV2obs
Jez

Post by Jez »

Hi All,

I have been in and out of the forums for some time now. I received a Bronze for Christmas and on boxing day fell into the pool...I am still drowning! :(

From what I can tell the best method for finding a way out is mapping but I have been having some serious problems drawing a map.

I got very excited when I saw this topic as I thought I might get a nice guide on how to draw a map but all I can see is that people are very talented at 3d computer modelling and building plastic moulded cases so I would ask if anyone has any tips for drawing a map for a 3d maze with a pen and paper...something simple?

At the moment I am drawing a simple channel with walls but not really drawing the shelves / jumps as I don't know how to best represent it.

So far my maps are terrible and I am still splashing in the pool :|

Thanks for your help
Jez
TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler »

Hi Jez,

Sounds like you've started the right way. The best method I've used is to use colours for heights ... I prefer green for the maze, red for resets and I've taken to using purple for ledges. (While really they should be green as it is maze path, it seems to help with my visualisation.)

The other thing I have done is used shading to represent changes in height such as ramps. For example the ramp onto the start of the maze from the start position.

Hopefully that gives you some ideas.

Neil
open open open open open open open

http://puzzling-parts.thejuggler.net/
Jez

Post by Jez »

Thanks, sounds like it's worth spending a lot of time creating detailed maps. I like the idea of using colours to show the heights, should make it easier to see what is above what.

This may sound a little silly but I was using a pen previously :oops: and clearly pencil with a heavy amount of rubbing out and reworking is the way forward ;)

Thanks again,

Jez
Just going for a dip in the pool...
cdr2289

Post by cdr2289 »

Jez wrote:Thanks, sounds like it's worth spending a lot of time creating detailed maps. I like the idea of using colours to show the heights, should make it easier to see what is above what.

This may sound a little silly but I was using a pen previously :oops: and clearly pencil with a heavy amount of rubbing out and reworking is the way forward ;)

Thanks again,

Jez
For all my puzzles i start with just a scribbly simple pencil drawing, then once i've explored all the obvious nooks and crannys, i do a pencil, ruler, graph paper drawing... has worked so far. Now for the silver I wouldn't have got through without blue masking tape and a magic marker, as well as a blown up graph paper with pencil markings. The 2 in concert is what got me through the final bits.
Blue #172 opened
Green #172 opened
Bronze #172 opened
Black LE#04 opened
Silver #172 V2 opened
Red #86 opened ...
Gold #172 HAS ARRIVED!
Red Obs (Shelved) ...
Jez

Post by Jez »

Wow!

I guess as the puzzles get more and more complex then more detailed maps are required.

I better get drawing :)
Just going for a dip in the pool...
TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler »

Jez wrote:Wow!

I guess as the puzzles get more and more complex then more detailed maps are required.

I better get drawing :)
They do, but as you progress through each puzzle, your mapping gets better too, so you should be fine.
open open open open open open open

http://puzzling-parts.thejuggler.net/
Stigy

Post by Stigy »

Yep. And don't overlook the value of a ruler. These things need to be accurate in order for you to be able to look at you map and draw conclusions about where you must be able to go.
Jehrets2

Post by Jehrets2 »

I didn't draw maps for both blue and green, but I have a feeling I will with the bronze :? so last night I practiced mapping on green a little by putting a sharpie mark on the shaft then moving it, then measuring. I ended up mapping the first half without taking the puzzle apart, but on the *tricky bit* I needed to cheat a little :oops:
Last edited by bluesign2k on Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mention of specific feature removed
BU00618- Open
GR00394- Open
BR00472- Open
AG00324- Hmph

Return to “General”