Mapping Challenge

For all general forum discussions.
Stigy

Re: Mapping Challenge

Post by Stigy »

Some very interesting ideas there.

But to me it's all a bit too much. Half the fun is mapping yourself, getting your map a bit wrong, refining it as you go along, saying ah ha as some bits of your map meet and you discover aspects of it.

I'm sure with some effort you could modify those designs, add a potentiometer and a linear switch, wire in an RC car motor and have a simple computer program record and then repeat your movements so you only ever need to solve a section of the maze once for yourself, then everytime you fall in a trap have the computer get you back there. Sure it would save time, but so would a hammer. :? :twisted:
Otakutom17

Post by Otakutom17 »

For green, I used a spreadsheet and a ruler, measuring by sixteenths of an inch. It was enough to show me where the traps were located, and that was about all I mapped, since I was able to open it shortly after that.

Since I had finished green first before going to blue, I mapped it mentally, and was able to solve it pretty quickly.

I'll definitely have to find a better mapping method with bronze and silver.
BU00927 - OPEN GR00386 - OPEN BR00395 - OPEN AG00169 - 1 hour in... AU00??? - Pre-ordered
OR00??? - Pre-ordered R00077 - Boxed
Wanted: Red Obsession, BlackEx, Handmade
maztec

Post by maztec »

Stigy wrote:Some very interesting ideas there.

But to me it's all a bit too much. Half the fun is mapping yourself, getting your map a bit wrong, refining it as you go along, saying ah ha as some bits of your map meet and you discover aspects of it.

I'm sure with some effort you could modify those designs, add a potentiometer and a linear switch, wire in an RC car motor and have a simple computer program record and then repeat your movements so you only ever need to solve a section of the maze once for yourself, then everytime you fall in a trap have the computer get you back there. Sure it would save time, but so would a hammer. :? :twisted:
Who says that some of us haven't already done that? :lol:
OOOOOOOoo
MJShasko

Post by MJShasko »

The 10 top reasons to make a detailed progress map as you proceed through a revomaze:

1) Find black hole regions in the maze that require further exploration.

2) Avoid constantly repeating the same path sequence that goes nowhere goes nowhere goes nowhere.

3) Lets you quantify your progress.

4) Reduces wear on the maze paths due to over-hugging walls and ledges.

5) Provides an objective 2D representation of the maze that isn't biased by memory engrams.

6) Lets you figure out what features you are in when you talk to others.

7) Gives you something to "think" upon as oppose to bashing the maze hoping to find a new path.

8) Lets you assess cause and effect relationships in the maze.

9) Gives you something to show your 9 year old that they can better understand.

10) Gives you something to show your spouse to solicit buy-in to your craziness.
BU00394 GR00177 BR00163 AG00211 AU00059 BL16LE R00059 OR00059
HM12-20 LM00059 TI40-50 BUobs BUobs2 GRobs BLobs BLobs2 RDobs

To do: R2 #59 PU000xx
a-maze-ing

Post by a-maze-ing »

11) Prevent (ok then, reduce...) cramping hands and painful fingers.
Mapping is a good 'excuse' to put a revo down for a while, little and often!
Extreme #14: OPEN OPEN OPEN OPEN OPEN OPEN
Limited #14: OPEN OPEN OPEN OPEN OPEN STAMATIC
Otakutom17

Post by Otakutom17 »

I'm debating on the method I should use to map Bronze.

With some paper clips and rubber bands, I could fashion a holder for a fine-tip marker or pencil that would trace the path on paper that I wrap around the puzzle. This method may also translate well enough into silver and gold.

I'm also thinking of trying the method listed earlier with the 5mm graph paper and the washer. From what I'm reading, it works well enough for Bronze, but may have some problems with silver and gold.
BU00927 - OPEN GR00386 - OPEN BR00395 - OPEN AG00169 - 1 hour in... AU00??? - Pre-ordered
OR00??? - Pre-ordered R00077 - Boxed
Wanted: Red Obsession, BlackEx, Handmade
TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler »

The washer method will work well for all mazes. Given that MJShasko is a cartographer to trade, you can bet it's the best way to do things.

Now, mapping what is there, and understanding what you have mapped may be two different things!
open open open open open open open

http://puzzling-parts.thejuggler.net/
MJShasko

Post by MJShasko »

TheJuggler wrote:The washer method will work well for all mazes. Given that MJShasko is a cartographer to trade, you can bet it's the best way to do things.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, however, I never said I was a good cartographer :oops:
BU00394 GR00177 BR00163 AG00211 AU00059 BL16LE R00059 OR00059
HM12-20 LM00059 TI40-50 BUobs BUobs2 GRobs BLobs BLobs2 RDobs

To do: R2 #59 PU000xx
allardwza

Post by allardwza »

MJShasko wrote:Thanks for the vote of confidence, however, I never said I was a good cartographer :oops:
Mike, your work says you are, no question!
Amateur Puzzle Hoarder and occasional blogger
TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler »

allardwza wrote:
MJShasko wrote:Thanks for the vote of confidence, however, I never said I was a good cartographer :oops:
Mike, your work says you are, no question!
As Allard says, your skill is not in question.
open open open open open open open

http://puzzling-parts.thejuggler.net/

Return to “General”