Mapping Challenge

For all general forum discussions.
smiteo

Re: Mapping Challenge

Post by smiteo »

definitely don't put anything on the shaft (tape, paper or anything!) That is the best way to jam up your puzzle... writing on the shaft w/ a sharpie is fine...
OOOOOOOOOO? proud owner of set #29, BL09, R00009, OR00009, LM00009, HM-09 and BlackV2obs
sheepish

Post by sheepish »

For Blue i did it in my head once i got to green and Bronze i started to map using graph paper. The graph paper was rolled around my training aid and marked to line up with the hole on the sleeve. Then another piece of graph paper was used about a credit card size numbered down one side. Now by counting the squares turned on the traing aid and down the shaft using the credit card i could transfere on to a plane piece of graph paper. :D

However this helped me solve the puzzles but the maps were rubish :cry: that bad they no longer exist :shock:
BLUE-Open GREEN-Open BRONZE-Open SILVER-Open Gold-????
Red-Open Orange- Open Handmade- Open
MJShasko

Post by MJShasko »

Here's a 2D mapping option that has worked well for me. Sorry to have to include a map snippet ... it shouldn't be of help to 99% of you anyways :)

Requires:

5mm graph paper and a 9/16" washer or
1/4 inch graph paper and a "dime"
millimetre ruler

The virtue of the "washer" method is that by tracking the leading edge of the 3mm pin in the maze the washer provides you information on all sides of the circle whether that be a wall, curve, drop or ledge.

So as you explore you simply draw circles on the graph when and where something changes. Connect the circle edges and you have a map. Always map the resets first and with great precision. ALL resets are actually your BFFs.

Ledges are your foes, however, as they force you to sub-millimeter mapping.

While I don't knock any computer based mapping method, a sheet of paper, a pencil, coins/washers can travel anywhere.
Attachments
Mapping101.jpg
Mapping101.jpg (39.76 KiB) Viewed 12567 times
BU00394 GR00177 BR00163 AG00211 AU00059 BL16LE R00059 OR00059
HM12-20 LM00059 TI40-50 BUobs BUobs2 GRobs BLobs BLobs2 RDobs

To do: R2 #59 PU000xx
Mark76

Post by Mark76 »

I have two different mapping techniques, the first one is for puzzles I havn't opened yet and the other is done once I can see the core and I can make a detailed map.

On the blue I decided to map after a couple of hours play because my memory is rubbish.
I started using a simple method of straight lines for the direction I was moving the shaft and a cross at any point where there was a trap, so I knew to avoid that direction. This worked fine for the blue and to some extent the green.

I think once I got the blue open and was able to see the core it gave me a better understanding of how and what I needed to map.

I found that as the difficulty of the puzzles increased my mapping technique had to evolve also. I decided to use dotted paper, with each dot approx. 2mm apart. To finish the green I ended up guestimating the amount of twist and pull on the maze and drew the walls and traps using the 2mm dots as guides.

Moving onto the bronze the curves in the maze really caused me to struggle with my map. At this point I got out the trusty old ruler and painstakingly measured every move, by the millimeter, as best I could, by the end I had a pretty decent map.

I've been doing the same for the silver, but that's still a work in progress...

Which brings me onto a message I got from Maztec with an idea for a measuring device made by fans for fans which fits onto the revomaze. "A little Revo-specific tool that attaches to the maze body/shaft and the core, then helps you measure your current rotation and your current depth."

A part that fits on the end like the training aid and a part that is strapped around the case.

This is probably a lot bigger than Maztec had in mind but I figured it was best to start off big and then remove sections that were not needed.
revomaze measure.jpg
This is just a rough draft, so i'm just trying to see what might be possible. The pictures don't show the measurement scale which would be around the top edge of the base part and along the four prongs which would give distance for push/pull and twist.

The idea is that the part that fits around the case is like a double layered cup, to allow the measuring part slide between the layers. Obviously it would have to be made from very tough plastic/nylon like the training aid. Maybe someone may know if this would possible to fabricate?

The thought occured that it could also act as a case for the Revomaze to stop it getting scratched while in transit and in use.
revomaze measure2.jpg
I added the extra "ring" to make it more sturdy.

Instead of having such a tight fit like the training aid I wondered if it would be possible to make it like push fit plumbing? ie a chanel cut out and a rubber o'ring/washer fitted in order to create a snug fit without the struggle. If this would work it could be fitted to both pieces.

It occurred to me that when I'm doing fine movements I use my thumb to steady my hand against the case, so I cut out areas to give enough thumb room, this also had the added benefit of creating a better gripping area for my fingers.
revomaze measure3.jpg
Mark76

Post by Mark76 »

Next I cut out some areas on the base piece, mostly for cosmetic effect, but this could be an option.
revomaze measure4.jpg
revomaze measure5j.jpg
revomaze measure7.jpg
Like I said this is just a rough idea and any views would be welcome.
Last edited by Mark76 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smiteo

Post by smiteo »

upload the 3d design to shapeways! :)
OOOOOOOOOO? proud owner of set #29, BL09, R00009, OR00009, LM00009, HM-09 and BlackV2obs
TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler »

You know, looking at the slots you have in the 'top' part, putting a pencil in there, and wrapping the bottom with paper, you have an auto mapper.

I believe there are others who map this way, and this may give a mechanism that is easier to work with, with less restriction on movement of the maze etc. Maybe someone who maps with a blank sheet attached to the sleeve can comment?
open open open open open open open

http://puzzling-parts.thejuggler.net/
maztec

Post by maztec »

To me an automapper is a bit close to cheating. If you rig it up yourself, fine. But buying a device for thy is a bit much.

My thought with this is to have a device that assists in measuring and unroofed your grip like the trainer does.

I would actually simplify this a bit. Have a wrap that snaps on the ledge of the nearest cuff and a ruler that snaps onto a trainer like piece that slides onto the nut and has a flat side to hold it in place.

But, this is definitely awesome looking. Good rough up that. :)
OOOOOOOoo
smiteo

Post by smiteo »

here's what I built a while back...

it is a bit too clunky to work well... but it was fun to build...
MJShasko

Post by MJShasko »

So now how do you get those past house security for the live event ....hmmm.
BU00394 GR00177 BR00163 AG00211 AU00059 BL16LE R00059 OR00059
HM12-20 LM00059 TI40-50 BUobs BUobs2 GRobs BLobs BLobs2 RDobs

To do: R2 #59 PU000xx

Return to “General”