Design Musings

For all general forum discussions.
ReVoRabbit

Design Musings

Post by ReVoRabbit »

i dont mean to take away from the spirit of this thread, but i didnt want to start 'another new thread' and this one had a title that seemed to fit well.

No my topic was going to be placed elsewhere, but i wanted EVERYONE to be able to give input.

now i know everyone on the forum is at a different place in their revomazing experience, so i ask that when you give me feedback on this idea, that you tell us what puzzles you've completed/ currently working on unless its part of your 'signature' like mine is.

my question is difficult to word to prevent myself from exposing some attributes of other mazes, so i will ignore those features and let the newbs be clueless and let the experts infer...

to all of you, my question is:
would a puzzle that continously changed be too frustrating? or would you look forward to such a challenge?
OWNER OF REVOMAZE Set 20
Since February 18 2009
Extreme
BU GR BR AG au pu BL R HM OR TI lm AQ
TQ MT IN CU GM sa GY BKM SP EM ru
PE
v2: BU GR BR Marbles: Brain Store MINI CE
Obsession
Black Body: BU GR R BL
Colored Body: BU GR R BL
Black v2: BUpro GR BL
Prototypes
BU Obs
Mint Peach
Jupiter
mattangel

Re: Customer Experience

Post by mattangel »

Hmm...that would be interesting. I think I would enjoy it more if it changed to a predictable pattern, otherwise I think it would become a bit too tedious. Do you have something evil up your sleeve for an orange design? :twisted: :twisted:
Manifestjp

Post by Manifestjp »

It depends on how the puzzle is operated and how the puzzle changes. It really is hit or miss with that kind of puzzle.
BU00547-OPEN
GR00315-OPEN
BR00267-OPEN!!!
AG00157-OPEN!!!!!!!!!!
AU00054-OPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
R00054-Open
OR00054-OPEN!
Blue/Blue Pro Obs-Open
Green Obs-Open
Black Obs-Open (Pro Closed)
Red Obs-:(
LM00249-Working
R2 Voyager status 06! :)
ReVoRabbit

Post by ReVoRabbit »

mattangel1 wrote:Hmm...that would be interesting. I think I would enjoy it more if it changed to a predictable pattern, otherwise I think it would become a bit too tedious.
Well with the theory "every thing i needed to know i learned from nintendo games" one could eventually see that there is a pattern. even if the pattern is long. i puzzle has a finite amount of options, so if something changes, either the change is permanent, the change was made by a revesable action, or its a pattern.
OWNER OF REVOMAZE Set 20
Since February 18 2009
Extreme
PE
Obsession
Prototypes
BU Obs
Mint Peach
Jupiter
bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k »

If this idea is to be linked to a revomaze then I'd say that I don't like the idea. One of the main selling points and thing that distinguishes it from other puzzles (such as the rubiks cube) is that no matter where you are in the maze, there should be a trap nearby that will take you back to the beginning of the puzzle and should reset it to its original state.

A revo that didn't return to it's original state on reset is not a revo.

If it's a new type of puzzle the yeh, thats cool.
Puzzle wiki:
Puzzle Place
|11SE: BUopenGRopenBRopenAGv1deadAGv2repairAUwaitingTIopen
11LE: BLopenRopenORopenHMrepairLMPU
25: BUopenGRopenBRopenAGv1openAGv2openAUopen
Ob: BUopenGRopenBLopenBLv2openRD
Minirepair
1st to open a ReVoMaze
allardwza

Post by allardwza »

...need to chime in a little here: one of the main distinguishing features of the Revomaze (IMHO) is the sense of defninitive progression that you get while you're solving the thing...some of the other handsome metal puzzles out there (you know, that ball & pyramid set :shock: ) give the puzzler virtually ZERO feedback until they suddenly pop open...that's not a puzzle, it's a random journey that sometimes finishes when you least expect it!

Revomazes always build up to the final solution...please don't take that away from them...

That, and of course the brilliant service from the R-Master....

[Personal views, your mileage may vary, etc...]

allard

[Guys, shout if you want a separate thread to discuss design issues...]
Amateur Puzzle Hoarder and occasional blogger
mattangel

Post by mattangel »

allardwza wrote:one of the main distinguishing features of the Revomaze (IMHO) is the sense of defninitive progression that you get while you're solving the thing
The sense of progression through the puzzle is nice, but a micro environment of apparent randomness could be satisfying. You may recall several seemingly random features in a certain argentic puzzle, some of which confused many for months. Although they appeared random, there was a method and mechanism to their madness that was discovered upon lining up those two dots.
allardwza

Post by allardwza »

Yip, agreed...nothing wrong with a bit of apparent randomness here and there - as you mentioned we've seen bits of that without destroying the overall impression... having to reassess your asumptions mid-puzzle is almost always a really good thing in a puzzle!

allard
Amateur Puzzle Hoarder and occasional blogger
Stigy

Post by Stigy »

Yeah, I wouldn't like a puzzle with much randomness. As other have said, then you're just blindly flapping around until something happens. Revos are about progression. Each time you work a part out you can progress further.
ReVoRabbit

Post by ReVoRabbit »

your feedback has been great guys! Maybe it's time we move this to the orange section since the question has been answered since that's where it belongs anyway.

what i've gathered from you guys is that you need to feel like you are getting somewhere and know when you're not. I agree. I mean even if it's "red herring" keep it a Revomaze, not a guessing game.
OWNER OF REVOMAZE Set 20
Since February 18 2009
Extreme
PE
Obsession
Prototypes