Let us discuss the beginner mazes

For all general forum discussions.
prodigy

Let us discuss the beginner mazes

Post by prodigy »

RevoHQ:
Start your Revomaze adventure with our beginner level puzzles. Work your way through the series and enjoy the different experiences that each maze has to offer.

The Revomaze difficulty scale ranges from 30 to 50 for the Aqua, Turquoise, and Blue mazes in the beginner collection. These beautiful mazes are suitable for young puzzlers and those new to the Revomaze series, but they will also test the most experienced puzzler.

Now we also have Sapphire at level 20 so what do you think? Is this enough or do we need more beginner mazes?

Today we have:
Level 20: Sapphire
Level 30: Aqua
Level 40: Turquoise
Level 40: Blue

I really think Sapphire has its place here to newcomers due to Aqua maybe is too hard to someone not to dedicated puzzle solver. I think it will help to get more people understand the Revomaze magic.

Aqua and Turquoise is great puzzle to continue with and Blue a final test if you should continue to intermediate puzzles.

I personally think we now have enough beginner mazes and that we don't need more of them in the future.
OPEN: AQUA - TURQUOISE - BLUE - GREEN - BRONZE - SILVER - GOLD - INDIGO - TITANIUM - RED - ORANGE - LIME - GUNMETAL - PURPLE - COPPER - MINT - HANDMADE - MERCURY - BLACK - BLACK MERC - SALMON - GREY - SAPPHIRE - EMERALD - RUBY - PEACH
bluedot99

Re: Let us discuss the beginner mazes

Post by bluedot99 »

I’m curious to see how Sapphire is executed, but I agree that we don’t need more beginner puzzles. After doing 2 of any of those people want a greater challenge or they don’t want anymore because it’s not their thing.

I feel that intermediate is similar, and should only have new puzzles if a new mechanism is introduced that exists in its more complex form in an advanced one.

Advanced is where I think there is more room to grow and where a lot of my own design ideas for mechanisms come from when I solve :lol: Chris definitely still has a lot of design ideas to explore if he wants to in that space. I hope he does!
:D BlueGreenBronzeSilver V1/V2TurquoiseAquaGoldRedMintTitaniumSapphireRuby
:? GunmetalCopperOrangeEmerald
On hand - IndigoLimeGreyHandmadeSalmonPeachmini(brass)
Arriving Soon? - Black (Pilot) LiteTeal? ;)
Want - BlackBlack MercPurple... PM me!
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

I think there are room for new intermediate puzzles. In that group we find Orange, Bronze and Mint and I think there could be great new ideas that can fit there, but the puzzles should in that case be on the upper scale and levels so similar to Orange and Bronze.

I agree that most of us want new advanced puzzles and it was that one that sold out first this time too.
OPEN: AQUA - TURQUOISE - BLUE - GREEN - BRONZE - SILVER - GOLD - INDIGO - TITANIUM - RED - ORANGE - LIME - GUNMETAL - PURPLE - COPPER - MINT - HANDMADE - MERCURY - BLACK - BLACK MERC - SALMON - GREY - SAPPHIRE - EMERALD - RUBY - PEACH
bluedot99

Post by bluedot99 »

I see the categories like this:

Beginner - get used to the mechanics of the mazes and learn a few of the simpler (static) tricks. Some thinking might be required but can be solved mostly by exploration.

Intermediate - introduction to dynamic elements but mostly in isolation. So if a mechanism is involved it’s introduced in a simplified way and most likely not chained with other different mechanisms. All things learned from Beginner can be present though. If a maze is static then it would involve things learned in Beginner likely chained in an interesting or unexpected way or harder to detect just by exploring. The expectation should be that you start needing to do some thinking in order to solve, exploration alone is likely not to be enough.

Advanced - any element from Beginner and Intermediate mazes can be present, possibly chained. Exploration alone won’t solve it. Harder mechanisms that can’t be easily presented in a simpler way might only exist in this category. The emphasis of the solve should be on feeling and analyzing observations as you explore such that you can deduce likely ways of achieving what you’re experiencing. Putting all those things together and executing them is the only way to solve. Repeatability over everything is understood will confirm observations (this might be hard if dexterity is a component)

These are my “ideal” categorizations, don’t know how Chris sees each category though. Sometimes dexterity can tip a maze to be in one category over another as well. Any luck factor would hopefully be ironed out during testing but ideally during design, though understandably sometimes things squeak by, hence the importance of testing.

I do believe that most puzzles are properly categorized right now given my definitions. I know some designs have suffered reliability issues, or factor “luck” in them which to me is not ideal from a design perspective. It’s not easy to design the perfect puzzle no matter how hard one tries though.

Very much looking forward to see what’s in store with the new ones!
:D BlueGreenBronzeSilver V1/V2TurquoiseAquaGoldRedMintTitaniumSapphireRuby
:? GunmetalCopperOrangeEmerald
On hand - IndigoLimeGreyHandmadeSalmonPeachmini(brass)
Arriving Soon? - Black (Pilot) LiteTeal? ;)
Want - BlackBlack MercPurple... PM me!
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

That was a great categorization!

I also think that there are no need for any "luck" in this maze. I think you always must be able to control/check if you have done a certain move or not so you can verify a theory. I also think that if you are holding the Revomaze in a correct position and do the move, it should work all the time otherwise it will go in to "luck" territory...

Return to “General”