Problem opening V3 core (grub screw stripped)!

For all general forum discussions.
Amlux

Problem opening V3 core (grub screw stripped)!

Post by Amlux »

Hi all,

Help! :!: I solved my first Revomaze recently (V3 Blue). Now I want to open the core to collect the certificate, but I can't unscrew the grub screw as it slips, it seems stripped!

First I tried with a 1,5mm Allen key, and even bought me a 1.5mm Hex Screwdriver today (like the one on the Revo website). But the screw seems totally stripped and it won't unscrew. I already felt it slipping directly the first time i wanted to unscrew, but then thought it might be the Allen key. But now that the screwdriver doesn't work either, it really seems like it is the grub screw itself.

To me it seems the grub screw was already stripped (when it was screwed in?) as I never had any grip when I wanted to open it. The Allen key and screwdriver both slipped directly. Therefore I also wonder if this problem will occur more often with the V3 core...

I tried using a tiny drop of creep oil now to try and loosen it, but it is still stuck...

So, help! What to do! :| I want my certificate!

PS I moved this topic from the 'Blue registered' to the 'General' forum, as it is not really related to Blue but to the V3 core (I assume the same issue might occur with V3 cores from other colors).
mrmkaufman

Re: Problem opening V3 core (grub screw stripped)!

Post by mrmkaufman »

Get a small flat blade screwdriver that's thin enough to fit into the top of the screw. Find a place where it seems to grip, and see if that's enough leverage to loosed the screw. Some Loctite to help the screwdriver blade friction would help, too.
Amlux

Post by Amlux »

mrmkaufman wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:28 pm Get a small flat blade screwdriver that's thin enough to fit into the top of the screw. Find a place where it seems to grip, and see if that's enough leverage to loosed the screw. Some Loctite to help the screwdriver blade friction would help, too.
Thanks for your response. Actually that is exactly what I did this afternoon. However, one flat blade screwdriver was too big, and one size smaller did not get any grip whatsoever. Only thing that happened is I got some metal flakes on the magnetic tip of the screwdriver, so the screw just seemed to scratch off more. Although I did it all very gently (from the start) the hexagon is more like a circle I'm afraid.

I don't dare to put loctite on the blade, as I'm afraid I'll lock the screw up even more..

I just received a PM of someone with the exact same issue with the V3 core. I get the impression the grub screw is just too weak and gets damaged very easily (probably during assembly already, making it impossible to unscrew again). Wonder if this will happen more often with the V3.

I informed revo HQ yesterday, but no response so far. :| This is quite a let down after the excitement of just opening my first Revomaze...
03SVTCobra

Post by 03SVTCobra »

It is a terrible design in my opinion and just asking for issues like this. They could at least provide the correct allen key with the puzzle considering the cost of the puzzles. Even crappy ikea furniture comes with a basic allen key to assemble!
BU00060 :) GR00060 :) BR00060 :) AG00060 :) AU00060 :)
R00060 :) OR00060 :) LM00060 :) TI00030 :) CU00060 :) AQ00060 :) IN00060 :)
MT00060 :) TQ00060 :)GM :) HM :)
Blue Obs :) Green Obs :) Black Obs :) Black Obs V2 :) Red Obs :|
Amlux

Post by Amlux »

I have no problem with this new design, as long as the screw is strong enough and does not get stripped so easily.

I'm pretty sure that poviding an allen key with the puzzle wouldn't have made a difference in my case. I do have a good quality allen key and 1.5mm hex screwdriver, but when the screw is damaged none of the tools will get it out.

Frankly I think it is only possible to strip/damage the screw when it is screwed in upon assembly (by keep on screwing it in too much so that it slips).
When a user unscrews it (by hand) with a 1.5mm hex it should normally just fit, get a grip and unscrew right?
Rachel K

Post by Rachel K »

Hello, we've spoken to Chris who states the following "the grub screw is an essential part to ensure the whole maze body is solid. The purpose of the screw is to screw on to a 45-degree wedge, that clamps the cap on to the maze and holds the whole end accurately.

We have experienced multiple Allen key problems until we found a Rosan screwdriver set that had a 1.5mm socket that worked perfectly. We've been trying to find a supply of quality 1.5mm Allen key socket which we were going to include with each puzzle. However, this expense was going to be included each one we tried was poor and span as experienced by some of you. We decided to get a quality German made 1.5mm hex screwdriver with a hardened tip which worked perfectly. Even on tight screws that had been returned back to us where the user stated they tried all Allen keys to undo it.

You can purchase your own screwdriver from Amazon or us that can be used for all puzzles purchased. It is important to us that the operation of this screwdriver and the mechanism works."

We hope this clarifies and helps anyone who is experiencing this if you are still having issues please get in touch with Chris.

Best regards
Amlux

Post by Amlux »

Just a small update. I received the screwdriver from RevoHQ today, and it DID work. I really hadn't expected that to be honest. So there is indeed more difference in tools than I expected.

I got my first certificate out today! Thanks to RevoHQ for the support and quick shipment.
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

Good news then and also important information for everyone. Thanks for the update.
OPEN: AQUA - TURQUOISE - BLUE - GREEN - BRONZE - SILVER - GOLD - INDIGO - TITANIUM - RED - ORANGE - LIME - GUNMETAL - PURPLE - COPPER - MINT - HANDMADE - MERCURY - BLACK - BLACK MERC - SALMON - GREY - SAPPHIRE - EMERALD - RUBY - PEACH
Rachel K

Post by Rachel K »

Amlux wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:30 pm Just a small update. I received the screwdriver from RevoHQ today, and it DID work. I really hadn't expected that to be honest. So there is indeed more difference in tools than I expected.

I got my first certificate out today! Thanks to RevoHQ for the support and quick shipment.
That is wonderful news to hear! :) thank you very much for letting us know!
dasrevo

Post by dasrevo »

Please note that it is a HEXPLUS screw, so you need a HEXPLUS screwdriver, that is the sole reason why a normal 1.5 allen does not fit.
Almost 100% sure.

Return to “General”