Problem opening V3 core (grub screw stripped)!

For all general forum discussions.
pcad

Re: Problem opening V3 core (grub screw stripped)!

Post by pcad »

When I read the description of Hexplus it seems to refer to a specially shaped hex driver that has more contact area with a standard hex screw. I did not find any special Hexplus screws. Did I miss something?

I was able the use a standard 1.5mm hex key on the 2 V3's I have. Will consider the improved mechanical advantage of the Hexplus driver.
Peter

Gunmetal Unopened
Aqua,Turquoise Opened
Blue, Green, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Purple Opened
Black V1 + V2, Orange, Red, Titanium, Lime Opened
HandMade Prototypes too scary to reassemble
Gold CE set in Clear Sleeves
dasrevo

Post by dasrevo »

Yes you are right there, but if Chris used a hexplus driver to fix the screw himself and quite alot of force was used, it might have altered the inside of the screw just enough that a normal allen key doesnt fit. That is just an idea though.

So that means when people cant open it with a normal 1.5 allen, the screw might have been screwed in with more force.
pcad

Post by pcad »

The way the V3 is designed, the grub screw progressively forces the brass maze against the Stainless Steel core 90 degrees to the direction the grub screw is going. This lateral load on the front tip of the screw should act almost like a lock and a lot of force shouldn't be needed to secure the assembly.

That being said, my grub screws were very tight. Reminds me of a cars lug nuts that have be tightened with a pneumatic hammer at the garage. One has to bounce on the lug wrench with all their weight and the nut lets go all of a sudden with a snapping sound. The same sound, on a smaller scale, happened while undoing the V3 grub screw.

Maybe they shouldn't be so tight...
Peter

Gunmetal Unopened
Aqua,Turquoise Opened
Blue, Green, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Purple Opened
Black V1 + V2, Orange, Red, Titanium, Lime Opened
HandMade Prototypes too scary to reassemble
Gold CE set in Clear Sleeves

Return to “General”