Replacement maze pin

For all general forum discussions.
MWhapples

Replacement maze pin

Post by MWhapples »

When completing my first Revomaze (the aqua) I was careful when removing the shaft so as not to loose the pins. The problem came when putting the maze back together, I thought the pin had dropped into the hole in the sleeve, but obviously not as it slid out again and the pin fell out. After searching and searching around where the maze was I have concluded the pin is lost. So where can i get a replacement maze pin here in the UK? I notice the pin and spring set on the RevoHQ shop, but at £20 plus £7.45 delivery, with VAT as additional on top of that, giving a total of £32.94, this seems extremely expensive for what I need and makes me question if it is the correct thing. I only need the pin which sits in the maze track, the pin for the draw and the spring are still there.

If the pin and spring kit is the correct item, then it raises some questions:
  • Is there anywhere else which sells a suitable pin?
  • How can the pin and spring kit cost so much. Does it only contain replacements for one maze or will is there parts for multiple puzzles?
  • How come delivery costs so much? Could there be a non-recorded delivery option offered, a pin in an envelope should pass as a small letter with RoyalMail, even if it didn't then it would pass as a large letter, both being much less than £7.45.
dasrevo

Re: Replacement maze pin

Post by dasrevo »

The set contains two pins and a spring, one pin is for drawbar and the other is the maze pin.
If you are a metalworker or know metalworkers, you can try that. I dont know if it is too expensive, to be a judge of that I would need to know how much work is involved to create the pins and spring. As it could be mass produced I guess it could be made cheaper, but this stuff isnt mass produced, because obviously not alot of people need replacement pins and spring, so ... be aware of that.
jimbo

Post by jimbo »

I would drop an email to Rachel at Revomaze. They may be able to help you out, my experience so far has been very good when it come to customer service with them.

Hopefully it can get sorted out ;)
AQBLGRBR
INQuit
doc81

Post by doc81 »

Man that sucks! I've considered buying a pin/spring kit just in case this happens to me to have them on hand as backup. They do have great customer service so I wouldn't hesitate to inquire...but I also wouldn't expect anything outside of the advertised price either as it wasn't their fault.
SET SERIAL #7021
OPENED: AQUA - BLUE - GREEN - MINT - TITANIUM - BRONZE - MINI
CLOSED: COPPER - GUNMETAL - ORANGE - INDIGO - SILVER - HANDMADE
revonick

Post by revonick »

I'm curious if the pins/springs are generally interchangeable between mazes? I know Copper has a different pin size, but for example do Aqua, Blue and Green have interchangeable parts?

Asking because I lost the spring to Aqua when it opened, but I now have Blue and Green open and I'd rather leave Green open and use its spring to reassemble Aqua.
Open: Aqua [4hr]
MWhapples

Post by MWhapples »

dasrevo wrote:The set contains two pins and a spring, one pin is for drawbar and the other is the maze pin.
If you are a metalworker or know metalworkers, you can try that. I dont know if it is too expensive, to be a judge of that I would need to know how much work is involved to create the pins and spring. As it could be mass produced I guess it could be made cheaper, but this stuff isnt mass produced, because obviously not alot of people need replacement pins and spring, so ... be aware of that.
As there is not separate kits for different puzzles, I assume it is the same pin and spring in each puzzle, may be with the exception of copper which says about it having a 2mm pin. So that means there are at least, probably more, the same number of springs as puzzles produced and twice as many pins, not sure on quantities which would make mass production viable, but surely its a reasonable number of springs and pins.
Even if the cost of production is really that high, it means I would be paying for expensive parts I don't need (IE. a second pin and spring). I will contact RevoHQ to see if they can come up with something a little better priced and more suited to what I need (IE. if they could sell me just a single pin).
MWhapples

Post by MWhapples »

revonick wrote:I'm curious if the pins/springs are generally interchangeable between mazes? I know Copper has a different pin size, but for example do Aqua, Blue and Green have interchangeable parts?

Asking because I lost the spring to Aqua when it opened, but I now have Blue and Green open and I'd rather leave Green open and use its spring to reassemble Aqua.
I don't know for sure, but everything I read seems to suggest they are interchangeable. There is only one version of the pin and spring kit in the RevoHQ store and it does not have a compatible puzzle list.
As it is just the spring you need, may be this http://puzzling-parts.thejuggler.net/?p=2006 will help. In that blog post you will find some measurements of the spring, although the poster said they were unable to find an exact match and the nearest was still $7 for a single spring.
Chyron

Post by Chyron »

As far as I know, only the Copper has a different Pin. When I got my CE Set there was a package with 12 pins in it for locking it up for the six puzzles included. They were all the same. I'm pretty sure my Aqua Pins are stored with my other pins too so that should match everything but Copper.
Chyron wrote:Sometimes I get the feeling that someone goes around hiding old Puzzles in RevoHQ.
MWhapples

Post by MWhapples »

Heard back and no RevoHQ don't sell a single pin, just the spring and pin kit. Unless they can offer a cheaper postage option, may be I will hold off until I am buying some more mazes and so can combine it with other items.
Rachel K

Post by Rachel K »

Hi Michael :) I have emailed you :)

Return to “General”