New To RevoMaze and looking for a challenge

For all general forum discussions.
Botnik

New To RevoMaze and looking for a challenge

Post by Botnik »

Hello Everyone,

after years of puzzling I was looking for a harder set of puzzles and i came across by revomaze.

I've solved everything from rubik cubes 3x3 to 7x7, and 9 of the hardest puzzles in hanayama set (i started with the hardest there).

now i have a dilemma here, from money perspective.... i can buy only one maze per 3-5 month,
and i always like a good challenge... so no way I'm starting with anything easier than bronze.

In the last 5 days i read almost every thread you got here in the forum,
and I've seen no one ever suggest on starting with a harder puzzle than blue,
but I'm different.... i want take a puzzle when i know i cant solve it quickly (less than a week)... I want it to try to make me go insane!
and when i solve it after like 300 hours and get that accomplishment feeling.

I've got 2 options in my opinion:
-Salmon
-Indigo

i would like to hear your opinions about what puzzle i should buy as my first
A_Maze_Thing

Re: New To RevoMaze and looking for a challenge

Post by A_Maze_Thing »

:twisted: Welcome here, great choice :twisted:

I have started with Revomaze in January, got the Blue from a trade and opened in three days, Green in 5 days but almost the same playing time, then Bronze in 24 days (but it is really really a great puzzle with three different parts inside which requires dextrity and a lot of thinking). But I guess if I could open it in less than 4 weeks it would be not a real challenge for you to play with for the next 6 month.
For now I'm fighting with Copper and Indigo and though I have opened Bronze quickly (from my point of view), I have now idea how to proceed with Indigo right now. So regarding Indigo it will try to make you insane.
I have pre-ordered Mint and Salmon and I have already heard from senior Revomaze fans that Salmon will be a beast for sure. :twisted:

Chris plans new batches, because if you have checked the shop its really "empty" right now.
Copper is limited available and just a little more expensive, but I can guarantee it will challenge you a lot.

What do you think? Are you a mind mapper or do you will map carefully on paper or computer?

For now I try to avoid mapping, but Copper and Indigo is almost impossible to get them open without mapping.

If you have the chance to get the Indigo, take it. If you have the money for the Copper, go for it right now. If you still have the patience, wait for the Salmon :twisted:
:D
open:
AQUA
BLUE BU02255
GREEN GR01950
BRONZE BR02218
MINT MT00051
ORANGE OR00051
BLACK V1

:twisted:
in progress:
INDIGO IN00131
COPPER CU00051

:evil:
closed:
LIME

8-)
pre-ordered:
Revo Mini :o
SILVER
TITANIUM
GUNMETAL
SALMON
darctangent

Post by darctangent »

Hmm, this is a tricky question. :) if you truly want a challenge that will keep you busy for 3 months, then I would try and get the Silver currently for sale here, although it may be pretty expensive. The other option is to wait for Salmon, although I am making assumptions there as I have not yet seen the design. The others are all excellent (Bronze, Indigo, (and Orange is for sale here!)) however, I feel that with those, you may be stuck at a single certain point and that may cause frustration and loss of enjoyment. Normally I recommend easiest to hardest so the puzzler can build their Revomaze skills and have continuous Ah-ha! moments and progress. Maybe someone who started with a harder maze can give their opinion here. I'd almost like to say pick up a used, cheaper easy Revo to gauge your interest and then move to a harder design.
I hope my opinion helps,
Shane.
(Full disclosure, designer of Indigo)
CE 105 BU CE 105 GR CE 105 BR CE 105 AG CE 105 AU CE 105 TI AQ00105 MT105
PU01 BL00LE HM12LE R00105 OR00105 LI00105 GM 105 CU00105 IN00105
Lilmike14

Post by Lilmike14 »

I would be tempted to speak to Chris and see if he'll be doing anymore deals (bronze and blue) just so you have an easier puzzle to fall back on if the bronze is too difficult.
I also started with the bronze, and I'm quite happy to admit that it was a mistake, I then got a blue and a green and made the usual progression.

Revomaze is quite unlike and puzzle I've ever experienced

Just my thoughts about it
Solved -- Blue & Blue Pro, Green Obs, Bronze, Salmon, Titanium, Aqua & Gunmetal
Botnik

Post by Botnik »

Thank you all for commenting,

I do map everything in my head.... I don't know if I'm good at it but time will tell :P

because im new here and i am not sure if i will stick to this nonsense, i must start with only 1 puzzle,
no bundles of some kind, 150 £ was more than what i thought i'd pay for a puzzle, but here i must try one.

second hand might be good if i was a collector... but i don't want one since i can't be sure the puzzle will be 100% ok, if ill be a collector of this in the future... i will catch them all, don't worry.

I'm not the type of person who give up.... i do look for a puzzle that can give me that frustration.
Luke1705

Post by Luke1705 »

I don't know that I've heard of a lot of people starting on Bronze because it's decently difficult, even for people who have solved other Revomazes previously, so that could play a role in how long it takes you. It'll definitely keep you occupied for some time. I'm on the Green as my first puzzle and haven't finished it (though haven't devoted more than a few hours to it yet). Mint might be a good middle of the road option, as it's supposed to be about as hard as the Green (or maybe a little bit harder) but somewhat easier than the Bronze.
andysnook

Post by andysnook »

I started on the bronze, and don't regret it at all. I'm tempted by the green, as many quote it as being amongst their favourites. I think I'd have dealt with the blue disappointingly quickly, so in bang for four buck terms, I'm still glad i started with bronze. I'd be tempted to pick up blue/green either secondhand or as part of a deal, but very unlikely I'll get them new.

If you don't give up easily and like a challenge, start with the bronze. It's a classic, and you'll get your money's worth if you see it through.
Solved: BU02389 BR02257 IN00114 GR01967 AQ01088 GM00062 CU00062
In Progress: OR00160
On Hold: LM30230
Boxed: SILVER SA00017
Botnik

Post by Botnik »

andysnook wrote:I started on the bronze, and don't regret it at all. I'm tempted by the green, as many quote it as being amongst their favourites. I think I'd have dealt with the blue disappointingly quickly, so in bang for four buck terms, I'm still glad i started with bronze. I'd be tempted to pick up blue/green either secondhand or as part of a deal, but very unlikely I'll get them new.

If you don't give up easily and like a challenge, start with the bronze. It's a classic, and you'll get your money's worth if you see it through.
Since bronze isn't in Stock and it won't be for at least a month, I think I'll go with the Salmon... I don't remember ever giving up....
If it will be harder than what I can do... I'll probably get the indigo after 3-6 months.
I don't think it will last that long... But a part of me hope that it will get me to the edge of my sanity...
Thank you all for helping... I'll keep you posted
andysnook

Post by andysnook »

Botnik wrote:Since bronze isn't in Stock and it won't be for at least a month, I think I'll go with the Salmon...
A little bit surprised that the bronze isn't due soon actually. It'll reappear soon though, it's the most popular "advanced" puzzle and part of the normal production runs as far as I'm aware. I'm working on Indigo atm and it's a different animal to the bronze. Easier on the hands, so far anyway.

I'm waiting for the salmon atm, and based on the rating (more than silver) I expect it to be very challenging indeed. No doubt it will have some dynamic component/s. So, even though I went in on an "advanced" puzzle, I'd suggest you would be very ambitious starting with that one. Having never done the silver I'm not quite sure what it's difficulty of 90 really amounts to, though. But I can only assume the salmon is rated at 95 for some very good reasons.

Keep the bronze in mind though, it's a very special one.
Solved: BU02389 BR02257 IN00114 GR01967 AQ01088 GM00062 CU00062
In Progress: OR00160
On Hold: LM30230
Boxed: SILVER SA00017
Botnik

Post by Botnik »

Salmon has been pre ordered 4 days ago and already been on site 30 times to see if It got shipped. I hope to put my hands on it before passover is over, probably not :( Anyway Let's see what I am made of.... And which puzzle is harder... Me vs Salmon... Gonna be tough, Wish me luck.
Gonna update as soon as I get it

Return to “General”