Clear Sleeves

For all general forum discussions.
Chyron

Re: Clear Sleeves

Post by Chyron »

pin, spring, short screw. No need to worry about that piece being clear as you can't see through the pin anyways! Of course that's just my opinion.
Chyron wrote:Sometimes I get the feeling that someone goes around hiding old Puzzles in RevoHQ.
maztec

Post by maztec »

Ooh a clear spring and pin would be awesome.
OOOOOOOoo
TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler »

Thanks for the input.

I have a tap and small threaded end piece which can be used to modify the spring tension, and also to allow the spring and pin to be released should anything go wrong. The benefit is that I will only need to drill one side of the sleeve, however I can't get a part which is the exact pin diameter (2.91mm) As a result, I will need to drill a pin hole to the correct diameter, and then drill a shallow but wider end to the hole to accommodate the 'end cap'.

Now I just need to get a spring, or at least the measurements for one so I can but a suitable replacement. If it matches the pin, then it needs to be a 0.114" outer diameter spring, which retails anything from $3.50 - $9 per spring. A slightly larger 0.12" outer diameter spring is slightly cheaper at $7 for 3 springs. These things are not cheap!

I'll keep you updated as I make progress, but it looks like this should be possible, pending the source of springs. (Can't do any more till I test this!)
open open open open open open open

http://puzzling-parts.thejuggler.net/
EABlade

Post by EABlade »

I'm sure chris can get a stock from his supplier, as they do sell Pin 'n' Spring Kit's on the website... that is the plug, spring, and pins
“We are one big family of people, trying to make our way through the unfolding puzzle of life.”

Bronze For the Memories and Gold - Broken
the rest was X SOLD X BGSROGTLv1
Proud Member of The Team
Dafe

Post by Dafe »

ill take1 too :D
TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler »

I'm sure Chris can too, however the website is 'out of stock' and Chris hasn't responded to me yet.

Thanks to an amazing forum member I was able to get the exact dimensions of a spring, so other than the tension, I have been able to order a very close substitute. I'll keep people posted when they arrive. And hopefully once Chris gets back to work after the holiday break I'll hear back from him.

thayneq

Post by thayneq »

can't wait to see what you come up with! If you need anything, please let me know!
Opening order:
BR 50h. Fast=28s
BK Obs 12h.
BL 25m. Fast=12s.
GR 3h.
AG 20h. Fast=1m56s
AU 70h.
RD 1h.
RD Obs 6h.
OR 20h.
LM 40h. Fast=2m12s
IN 16h.
AQ 15m.
TI 8h.
CU Au plated

Not started:
CU

Waiting on:
Mercury (paid :cry: )
MT, SA
stet

Post by stet »

Looks great! I want one too! I like the clearer smooth one.
Needs to be updated!
SE #05:
BU Solved GR Solved BR Solved AG(V1) Not Solved AG(V2) Solved AU Won't Be Solved TI Missed
LE #05:
BL Solved RD Solved OR Not Solved HM Not Solved LI Ordered
Gold Plated CE #05:
BU Ordered GR Ordered BR Ordered AG Ordered AU Ordered TI Ordered
TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler »

Well the springs arrived today, and I can report having drilled one of my test sleeves, put the spring in place with the screw, the puzzle works perfectly. The maze is easily seen even with the ridged version since the band at the pin is clear, so there is a window into the maze.

Tension in the maze is adjustable, with the screw, and although the screw does protrude slightly, I don't think it detracts at all.

I have navigated the blue, and bronze with no issues, and I like the results. All in all I can call this project a complete success.

allardwza

Post by allardwza »

AWESOME! Well done Neil!

That one's been on the "wouldn't it be awesome?" list around here for ages!!!

allard
Amateur Puzzle Hoarder and occasional blogger

Return to “General”