Clear Sleeves

For all general forum discussions.
Paradox

Re: Clear Sleeves

Post by Paradox »

The only thing I'd be worried about with regular use would be the scratching of the inner surface.
Puzzle Paradox on Facebook
Puzzle Paradox Blog

BluOb: Open (30/10/10) GrOb: Open (01/11/10)
BlOb: Open (04/11/10) ROb: ...
BluEx: Open (27/01/11) BrEx: Open (09/02/11)
REx: Open (17/04/11) OrEx: Open (20/07/12)
CuEx: In progress
Revo Mini: Open (05/07/13)
Chyron

Post by Chyron »

Paradox wrote:The only thing I'd be worried about with regular use would be the scratching of the inner surface.
Sounds like a mapping method to me.
Chyron wrote:Sometimes I get the feeling that someone goes around hiding old Puzzles in RevoHQ.
thayneq

Post by thayneq »

Put me down for one clear plain one!! :P
Opening order:
BR 50h. Fast=28s
BK Obs 12h.
BL 25m. Fast=12s.
GR 3h.
AG 20h. Fast=1m56s
AU 70h.
RD 1h.
RD Obs 6h.
OR 20h.
LM 40h. Fast=2m12s
IN 16h.
AQ 15m.
TI 8h.
CU Au plated

Not started:
CU

Waiting on:
Mercury (paid :cry: )
MT, SA
TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler »

Ok, much more interest than I had thought, so I'll post a generic reply here ...

As far as fitting a spring, yes it's entirely possible. I an drill exactly the same as Chris does with the aluminium sleeve, and put the spring in, then seal up the top hole. It will mean that there are two spots where the sleeve will not be perfectly clear (one where the spring is, but it will be the exact size of the spring so should not interfere and one opposite that), but I am looking at picking up a Map Gas torch which is hot enough to restore the clear edge after drilling, so that may not be an issue, but clearly is a cost I'd need to look at.

Currently the Revo site is out of stock of the pin/spring kits, and they would be £5 if I could get them. If it's possible to find out the type of spring used, then perhaps I can get those directly, so if anyone has info, then please let me know.

As far as size, the sleeves are exact replicas in terms of size to the real sleeve. The outside is all my work, and takes time. Clearly I can shape these to be whatever would be wanted ... V1 style, ridged, smooth, V2 style etc. The smooth gives the clearest view of the core, and is so good that I won't post it in an open forum.

As yet, I've not been able to put a spring into one of these test cores, since I don't have a spare spring ... as soon as I can get my hands on one, I will be completing the project, and putting a spring and real core in there. (Worst case I'll drill it back out if I need to!)

The issue of scratching has been mentioned, and I have to be honest, I think that with use, the inside (and probably the outside) will get scratched. There are various plastic scratch repair products out there which will restore the clear surface, or the afore mentioned blow torch ... Until I can play myself, I can't say for sure, but even the aluminium sleeves get scratched up, so it's a fair bet.

In terms of weight, the sleeves weigh ~125g compared to the ~300g of the aluminium sleeves.

If there's other questions, let me know :)
open open open open open open open

http://puzzling-parts.thejuggler.net/
Chyron

Post by Chyron »

Only one more question, if you get an 'Okay' from Chris, how fast can these things get pumped out? =D

FWIW, I'd be in for 2 at least.
Chyron wrote:Sometimes I get the feeling that someone goes around hiding old Puzzles in RevoHQ.
TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler »

Well as I said in my original post, it takes about 5 hours per sleeve ....

It might seem like a lot, but the only 'machine' here is the lathe. These are all made by hand, and Acrylic is a pretty tough material, so it takes a fair bit of time to shape these, then a couple of hours to polish them to be clear. There's a lot of work in them, and as my other half pointed out, I'm probably selling myself short with the cost I've mentioned. Still, I never started doing this to make money :)

Have a read of my blog to see what goes into making one :)

maztec

Post by maztec »

I might toss in for one of those too :) Awesome work.

You should be able to get springs and pins from McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com). I would tell you exactly which one it was, but I would have to kill you... err, wait, or rather, my purchase history doesn't show the spring model :( I wish it did, but I bought the replacement years ago and McMaster doesn't have that history on the site that far back for my account. Blah.

Man, I need a lathe. On the other hand, wife would kill me, my workshop is just now finally getting together.

In fact, you can just yank a spring from the core and buy the right one. Or, if in California, go to a McMaster supply location and have them find the right one for you. Springs! http://www.mcmaster.com/#compression-springs/=ku2h93
OOOOOOOoo
Chyron

Post by Chyron »

haha, well I read that It took about 5 hours a piece, but in a situation where you have to make a quantity of them, I'm assuming you're not a robot and that doesn't mean 4.8 a day :lol:
TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler »

Chyron wrote:haha, well I read that It took about 5 hours a piece, but in a situation where you have to make a quantity of them, I'm assuming you're not a robot and that doesn't mean 4.8 a day :lol:
Very true ... I would probably be able to make 1 or two a day. Most probably 1, two on a weekend.

thayneq

Post by thayneq »

You may also want to design in a "back door" release mechanism for the clear sleeve in case it gets stuck in some way. I'm not familiar with all the engineering that went in to designing the original revo sleeve, but in case the spring and pin aren't exactly the same, the puzzle might become impossible, or may cause damage to the core maze itself. Just a thought....
Opening order:
BR 50h. Fast=28s
BK Obs 12h.
BL 25m. Fast=12s.
GR 3h.
AG 20h. Fast=1m56s
AU 70h.
RD 1h.
RD Obs 6h.
OR 20h.
LM 40h. Fast=2m12s
IN 16h.