What to do if you drop your Revomaze

For all general forum discussions.
AMWHY44444

What to do if you drop your Revomaze

Post by AMWHY44444 »

I thought I'd start this thread as I just had a nightmare with my bronze. I'm sure other people could benefit from the collective experiences of all Revoers who have been through this!

My Bronze

It's been a year since I solved the puzzle and since then, it's rarely been out of it's bag. Today I took a trip down memory lane, got past the pool on the first attempt then a few moves later, clicked back to the start.

"Oh well, I'll try again a little later" I thought as I placed the puzzle carefully on top of it's velvet sack. Not carefully enough though, as the heavy enigma rolled off the velvet, along the table and 100cm down to the floor. My outstretched hand reaching the puzzle a moment too late as it crashed into the linoleum floor. Oh well, what's the worst that could happen. It was only a metre.

Right?

Wrong. The shaft doesn't turn. Hmmm... jiggle it? Nope. Force it? Hesitation. Attempt! No. No luck. Ah, crap.

Okay, search the forum. Other people have done this, right? Yes! Search... "dropped my" That should do it. 5 pages of results. Okay, any solutions??? Well, not really but one guy did mention how he dropped his, it bounced, but still works. Another says he dropped his. It got stuck, but with some jiggling, it worked loose. Hmmm... so what should I do?

I know what it looks like inside. I KNOW what the problem is - the pin has been twisted? Bent? Lodged? One of these surely. As long as it's not bent, then there's only one solution: Drop it again!

Okay, I'm not stupid enough to drop it from a large height. First, I gave a few gentle taps on the floor while holding the puzzle. No luck. I figured a 30cm drop to my chair which has 1cm of soft padding covering it's wooden surface should do the job. Carefully, I lifted the Revomaze into the air and dropped it to the foam-covered chair. It hit, bounced, and fell off the chair... onto the linoleum floor again! 50cm this time. However, I got lucky! Whether it was the chair drop that worked, or the extra 50cm to the floor, whatever it was, it released the pin and the shaft seems to be turning normally again! I haven't fully opened the puzzle yet, but it seems to be working.

My lesson (which I was so careful to observe for my first year of ownership) is don't drop a Revomaze. Perhaps with the help of other Revoers, we can all share our experiences of breaking and fixing our revomazes. Maybe then, in the future, we can help other people who do what we all dread we will do!
BR00158 - Open (47 days)
AU00095 - Locked
Paradox

Re: What to do if you drop your Revomaze

Post by Paradox »

Sounds like you were lucky to get it moving again! I certainly wouldn't recommend that anyone else drops their Revo in order to fix it. :? You could easily end up doing more serious damage to it in the process.

It will be interesting to see what the pin (and sleeve hole) look like once you get it open again.
Puzzle Paradox on Facebook
Puzzle Paradox Blog

BluOb: Open (30/10/10) GrOb: Open (01/11/10)
BlOb: Open (04/11/10) ROb: ...
BluEx: Open (27/01/11) BrEx: Open (09/02/11)
REx: Open (17/04/11) OrEx: Open (20/07/12)
CuEx: In progress
Revo Mini: Open (05/07/13)
smiteo

Post by smiteo »

I dropped both my Bronze and Silver revomazes... bent the pin on the bronze, and made a certain area a bit tight on the silver...
I highly recommend not dropping the puzzle - always keep it in a safe place when not in use! And definitely don't keep it in the passenger's seat in your car driving home... that's how my Silver got it :)
OOOOOOOOOO? proud owner of set #29, BL09, R00009, OR00009, LM00009, HM-09 and BlackV2obs
EABlade

Post by EABlade »

:shock: hitting it on a chair is never a good plan... You should have gone the Freazer trick... Dropping the maze in the reset could bend the pin, or chew the side wall and could be an important part....

I wish you the best on getting it open.... :?
“We are one big family of people, trying to make our way through the unfolding puzzle of life.”

Bronze For the Memories and Gold - Broken
the rest was X SOLD X BGSROGTLv1
Proud Member of The Team
AMWHY44444

Post by AMWHY44444 »

I've played with it briefly and it seems to be working fine. When I have a chance to play with it properly I'll know for sure. Dropping it on the chair was a "why not?" decision as it was already having problems as it was. It could either stay broken or sort itself out. Thankfully it was the latter.

I didn't think of the freezer approach - that's what this thread is for though. Any other wise suggestions for future droppers?
BR00158 - Open (47 days)
AU00095 - Locked

Return to “General”