Why the forums should continue to exist!

For all general forum discussions.
bluedot99

Why the forums should continue to exist!

Post by bluedot99 »

Came across this article that more or less points out the very same issues some of us have had with the differences between the forums and Discord.

https://kotaku.com/please-stop-closing- ... 1847684851

I use both, but I plan on using the forums for actual public progress discussion and Discord more for chat. As the article correctly points out, it’s nearly impossible to follow a conversation on Discord past a few hours, whereas I can go over entire thoughtful conversations that span years right here in the forums.

I hope we have the forums for a long time to come so that we can have an actual record of our conversations and discussions in an open easy to follow and search medium!
:D BlueGreenBronzeSilver V1/V2TurquoiseAquaGoldRedMintTitaniumSapphireRuby
:? GunmetalCopperOrangeEmerald
On hand - IndigoLimeGreyHandmadeSalmonPeachmini(brass)
Arriving Soon? - Black (Pilot) LiteTeal? ;)
Want - BlackBlack MercPurple... PM me!
pewetools

Re: Why the forums should continue to exist!

Post by pewetools »

......YES!!! A forum is always the best.

Peter
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

I really hope so too. I like it here and had hoped more people to be here :)

Thanks for the article!
OPEN: AQUA - TURQUOISE - BLUE - GREEN - BRONZE - SILVER - GOLD - INDIGO - TITANIUM - RED - ORANGE - LIME - GUNMETAL - PURPLE - COPPER - MINT - HANDMADE - MERCURY - BLACK - BLACK MERC - SALMON - GREY - SAPPHIRE - EMERALD - RUBY - PEACH
bluedot99

Post by bluedot99 »

I think both have good uses, but if you’re a newcomer searching the Internet you will find information linked to the forums in any search engine and that’s not possible with Discord so people end up asking the same questions over and over.

It’s also very hard to follow conversations on Discord, even the app doesn’t readily load messages on a channel past a few hundred, you have to keep scrolling.

Search works ok, just like the forums… if you know how to query in an advanced manner you can usually find what you’re looking for but the topic-centric nature of the forums rather than the chat-centric nature of Discord make browsing things in the forums easier, especially for old conversations.

I’m ok with both existing, and I already use Discord for many other servers as it is and not just Revomaze or puzzle related.

This is the place to have a more permanent record of progress/ideas though.
Kirk2000

Post by Kirk2000 »

On a Forum you can follow a logical discussion, questions and answers. Discord is like a chat room that doesn't last more than a few hours. Discord was designed for gamers.
KIRK
Voyager #26
Looking for a BLACK Revo. PM me if you want to sell yours.
bluedot99

Post by bluedot99 »

Kirk2000 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:59 am On a Forum you can follow a logical discussion, questions and answers. Discord is like a chat room that doesn't last more than a few hours. Discord was designed for gamers.
Yup, and it fills a gap the forums don’t but it doesn’t replace them, not by a long shot.

I’m all for using the better tool for any given task. I don’t care how fancy a hammer you give me, if what I need is to drive a screw into a wall then I rather use the rusty old screwdriver in my tool box over your fancy hammer any day… it’ll do the job 10x better. And conversely that hammer is really nice when what you want is to quickly drive nails into a board and screws would be overkill.
AKJohn

Post by AKJohn »

I've always enjoyed this forum and especially the folks here ever since I joined - not too long ago, but I was worried HQ might be phasing it out, as the link doesn't seem to be on the site pages anymore.
Opened :ugeek: Aqua, Turquoise, Blue, Green, Mint, Titanium, Bronze, Orange, Copper
In progress --> Grey, Gunmetal (on brief pause)
bluedot99

Post by bluedot99 »

I hope that if the day comes where they want to phase it out (though I obviously feel they shouldn’t) they at least allow someone to transfer it such that it remains a historical/hobbyist supported option. Way too much useful information here to not preserve it in some form.
ghxost

Post by ghxost »

Discord may take some traffic from the site but it isn't a replacement.

The threaded discussion feature is a nice addition but it falls very much short of the forum for historical browsing of older topics and conversations of which I and many others have spent hours reading.
Seeking:
Black extreme (not merc), Red (extreme), Ruby, Peach
Ramisi5, devil isis, devil copernisis (or other harder variants)
chris_linnick

Post by chris_linnick »

As always, if there are items that we can improve on discord let me know.

I plan on going through past posts to pin important discussions to help make previous discussions relevant/available.
Looking to purchase:
Limited/Special Edition (Extreme/Metal --> Black and Black merc)
PM or email (preferred): linnick.christopher@gmail.com

Return to “General”