Clear Sleeves

For all general forum discussions.
y2khappens

Re: Buyers and Sellers

Post by y2khappens »

Another thought, Willie Strijbos has many contacts in Taiwan and other countries.
Maybe he would be a good contact for his opinion on remaking these sleeves ???
Anybody here willing to approach him or is this a bad idea???
Bill
Paradox

Re: Clear Sleeves

Post by Paradox »

Clear sleeve posts moved here from 'Buyers and Sellers'. :geek:
Puzzle Paradox on Facebook
Puzzle Paradox Blog

BluOb: Open (30/10/10) GrOb: Open (01/11/10)
BlOb: Open (04/11/10) ROb: ...
BluEx: Open (27/01/11) BrEx: Open (09/02/11)
REx: Open (17/04/11) OrEx: Open (20/07/12)
CuEx: In progress
Revo Mini: Open (05/07/13)
nos6074

Post by nos6074 »

Well I have obtained permission from Chris to contact some manufacturers and see if they are willing or able to make these.. I will keep you guys posted here along the way but I am going to guess that it is going to take some time to get something done. Make sure everyone thanks the Juggler for allowing me to expand on his idea as well as Chris for allowing them to be made if possible.
"My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me the most abstruse cryptogram, or the most intricate analysis, and I am in my own proper atmosphere." (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)
halfbake69

Post by halfbake69 »

I dont know if you seen the video about how they were made but that is a long process and if done faster it make bubble in the plastic ... Hope you find someone but at what cost :(
OPENED AND RESOLD : EX : BlueV2 GreenV2 BronzeV2 BronzeV1 Silver Orange Gold Lime Red Titanium Gunmetal Copper indigo mint Aqua OBS : Blue Bluepro BlackV2 BlackV1 Mini : blue R2: mercury
nos6074

Post by nos6074 »

I did watch the video and I must say I am very impressed by Neil's workmanship.. It is a very high bar to reach. But with perseverance anything is possible.. I just hope I can come close :P
"My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me the most abstruse cryptogram, or the most intricate analysis, and I am in my own proper atmosphere." (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)
mattangel

Post by mattangel »

nos6074 wrote:with perseverance anything is possible..
Even cake?

Keep posting about the clear sleeves...I'll but a few!
rodrigue10

Post by rodrigue10 »

Just an update on my progress:

I have ordered and received some clear acrylic rod to send to a machinist. They have a few week lead time so i will not have anything to show until the end of the month, if all goes well.

I have ordered some springs that are the same dimensions except for the wire diameter, which lends to a "softer" spring. I have tried it in my Blue revo and it works with it in place.

Since these would be going in a Clear sleeve, are there any thoughts to the use of this "softer" spring in them since you will be able to see what is going on anyway and it will be removable if there are any problems?

I can get them for about $2 a piece, which would help keep the cost down.

As a side note, nos6074 is looking at custom springs that should be the same strength...not sure the cost on those yet.

Feel free to give some feedback!
OP- CE Set #22 BU GR BR TI R BL OR Obs Set V2 Set AG AU LM mini GM HM CU AQ MT IN PU SM
CL-

R2 - Voyager #25:
OP - Prototype 1
CL - ♀ ♁ ♂ ⚳ ♃ ♄ ♅ ♆ ♇ Eris, Makemake
halfbake69

Post by halfbake69 »

Une the clear sleeve i had spring tension could vary a lot when you play with the set screw that hold it so it wont be a problem you Will be Abel to tight it at Will !
OPENED AND RESOLD : EX : BlueV2 GreenV2 BronzeV2 BronzeV1 Silver Orange Gold Lime Red Titanium Gunmetal Copper indigo mint Aqua OBS : Blue Bluepro BlackV2 BlackV1 Mini : blue R2: mercury
rodrigue10

Post by rodrigue10 »

I agree that you will be able to tighten it, however if you were to tighten too much then the spring will be more compressed than normal, ultimately potentially limiting the travel of the pin, which could lead to binding of the pin. That and if it's tightened too far, the spring would enter the maze portion when it was time to end...

Just some food for thought regarding tightening too much. As i mentioned the spring i currently have found is playable at it's current strength, just noticeably softer.

Thanks for the discussion
OP- CE Set #22 BU GR BR TI R BL OR Obs Set V2 Set AG AU LM mini GM HM CU AQ MT IN PU SM
CL-

R2 - Voyager #25:
OP - Prototype 1
rodrigue10

Post by rodrigue10 »

OK Everyone...At long last I am finally to a point where i have figured out a good method for making the Clear Sleeves reliably and at quality that i would be proud to sell.

Unfortunately i am not going to be making any color tinted sleeves as that requires me to order up more raw material than i think i could recoup. This may change in the future, but since i'm not taking any money before i have these made i don't want to order up raw material that will just sit around.

I have sent a couple of my sleeves to nos6074 and pcad...they were on top of buying one of my first versions and after their feedback i made some changes and sent them a second version. nos6074 received his second one and said that all of the maze cores he had fit nicely and the usability was good. He mentioned doing a little review of them on my behalf so keep an eye out for that.

As such i am ready to start an actual order list for those that want a clear sleeve!

I am asking $75 USD for each sleeve + shipping

If you are interested in more than 1 please let me know.
I will not be asking for payment ahead of time if you send me your request. Your name will be put on an order list and i will contact you when i have one ready for you.

I plan on making these to order and as such i do not have any inventory right now. From what i understand there is a bit of interest for these so it may take me a while to fulfill all the requests i get...especially if people order multiple sleeves. If i get solid day to work on them i would be able to make 4 in one sitting...

Please send me an email or PM with your email and how many you would like to order.

Thanks for all those who gave me tips, feedback, and motivation to work on these for everyone! It has been frustrating at times, but overall relaxing to make them.

Ben
rodr0149@gmail.com

Just a fair warning that i will be out on vacation for a couple weeks this month which will further delay any fabrication.
Last edited by rodrigue10 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
CL-

R2 - Voyager #25:
OP - Prototype 1

Return to “General”