Stand Design Competition Thread

General Posts.
TheJuggler

Re: Stand Design Competition Thread

Post by TheJuggler »

w1se wrote:Juggler, your angled stand it awesome! If you can model it in such a way that it would balance without the base that would ideal. It makes it compact and has that impossible balancing/levitating look. Well done.

Plus it would be simple to manufacture which is a huge plus for reducing costs.
The base in the render is only to give it something to sit on, it's not part of the stand. It's based on a fairly common wine bottle holder, where the weight of the bottle and the angle of the cut in the wood, etc mean that the centre of gravity is kept in the middle so it 'levitates' the object. I'm doing a mock up in wood, which seems to work ... but it could equally be made of perspex, acrylic or pretty much anything else you care to name.
open open open open open open open

http://puzzling-parts.thejuggler.net/
ssambdar

Re: RevoMaze Stand Competition

Post by ssambdar »

TheJuggler wrote:Here's a 3rd option, just to throw something else out there. Ultra simple, compact, and the option for a multi-stand...
I like this design, but I would make the hole deeper, wider and double-staged, so that it fits an opened Revomaze. The small hole is for the coiled certificate.
Attachments
stand.jpg
stand.jpg (15.03 KiB) Viewed 8316 times
BU01091 - 22.10.2010
GR00458 - 27.10.2010
BR00497 - 14.11.2010
AG00000 - waiting
TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler »

Another option rather than the coiled certificate would be to have a curved groove, so the certificate could be held uncoiled. Problem the is getting into extra cost to produce.

The double cutout matches that of my earlier design (the curved stand) where it can hold both styles of maze, and makes perfect sense as long as your puzzle is at a point where the shaft won't fall back into the sleeve ;)
open open open open open open open

http://puzzling-parts.thejuggler.net/
Barcared

Post by Barcared »

Guys, We are nearly at the end of 2010 and the stand competition ends at the end of Jan. There is no leeway on this date as we need a design approved and possibly in production by the time we go to Spring Fair in Feb.

Apart from your design please try to investigate production costs as Chris has little time to take a good 'concept' to different manufacturers only to find it is cost prohibitive.

It's an excellent way to have your idea support the RevoMaze product and get a £100 credit at the same time!

Look forward to receiving entries by the last week of Jan.
ReVoRabbit

Post by ReVoRabbit »

i think we really need some direction here. either from chris or through a poll. what kind of a stand are we looking to make?i personally like the basic puzzle holder, but as we can see there are plenty of people who want the stand to do more. can we get some guidlines as to what the stand will be designed to do? we can then all give you better inputs.
OWNER OF REVOMAZE Set 20
Since February 18 2009
Extreme
BU GR BR AG au pu BL R HM OR TI lm AQ
TQ MT IN CU GM sa GY BKM SP EM ru
PE
v2: BU GR BR Marbles: Brain Store MINI CE
Obsession
Black Body: BU GR R BL
Colored Body: BU GR R BL
Black v2: BUpro GR BL
Prototypes
BU Obs
Mint Peach
Jupiter
adamwest

Post by adamwest »

I want one that holds my puzzles!! It doesn't need to be something crazy.
Proud owner of set #16 (RevoTaster)

BU00016 OPEN x and o
GR00016 OPEN x and o
Black o OPEN
BR00016
OPEN
RD00016 OPEN
AG00016 OPEN
AU00016 CLOSED
OR00016 OPEN (mark you're just mean ;) )
Barcared

Post by Barcared »

We need a stand primarily for the metal extremes (the obsessions will have a flat spot on them making a stand unnecessary)

Design is up to you guys but I suggest simplicity, practicality and something that reflects well on the product it holds.

Personally I like a design that holds the puzzle end up as I have all my SE 2's in the solved position and would like to display them accordingly. So something that holds them in either open or closed position would be my choice but the final decision will be made by a group and probably involve all the members as well.
DatabaseMonkey

Post by DatabaseMonkey »

I have no personal skills with invention or design, but I could make a simple (maybe) suggestion for improvement on w1se's design. What about some form of cover for the portion of the shaft that is the actual maze?

I don't know, in engineering terms, if it is cost effective, but I would think that would help keep the maze something of a mystery to those who see it displayed, while still allowing for separate storage of the parts?

Just a thought.
Blue Obs V1: Open
Blue Obs V2: Open
Blue Obs Pro: Open

GO: Open
Black Obs V1: Open
Black Obs V2: Started

BR00455: Open
AG00195: In progress. Spinning
AUxxxxx: Arrived
Paradox

Post by Paradox »

DatabaseMonkey wrote:I have no personal skills with invention or design, but I could make a simple (maybe) suggestion for improvement on w1se's design. What about some form of cover for the portion of the shaft that is the actual maze?

I don't know, in engineering terms, if it is cost effective, but I would think that would help keep the maze something of a mystery to those who see it displayed, while still allowing for separate storage of the parts?

Just a thought.
The problem I'd see with that addition is that then you are covering up the most beautiful part of the items you are displaying. If I had a set of them open I know I'd like to see the mazes.
Puzzle Paradox on Facebook
Puzzle Paradox Blog

BluOb: Open (30/10/10) GrOb: Open (01/11/10)
BlOb: Open (04/11/10) ROb: ...
BluEx: Open (27/01/11) BrEx: Open (09/02/11)
REx: Open (17/04/11) OrEx: Open (20/07/12)
CuEx: In progress
Revo Mini: Open (05/07/13)
homework52

Post by homework52 »

I have an idea but no idea how to mock it up. What is a good program to use to create the design?
BU00231- Solved
GR00108 - Solved
BR00113 - Solved
AG00205 - Solved
AU00037 - In Progress
R00076 - Solved
OR00037 - Solved
LM00037 - In Progress
Mercury 037 - Solved
Blue Obsession V1/V2 Pro - Solved
Green Obsession V1 - Solved
Black Obsession V1 - Solved / V2 - Solved