Stand Design Competition Thread

General Posts.
Stigy

Re: Stand Design Competition Thread

Post by Stigy »

Although, I'm sure submitting a prototype made of pure gold may increase your chances of winning :)

Mudcake may be a suitable replacement material, assuming you don't have a few kg's of gold and a small smelting pot in your back yard. ;)
Jehrets2

Post by Jehrets2 »

Thought I'd try google sketchup, and came up with a few ideas.

The main thing I focussed on was the fact that the puzzle is best displayed vertically when open, but I think it looks much better horizontally when closed. So, I designed stands with both so you can display the puzzle either way when necessary.

Please ignore the cut away parts in the design, suggesting it is hollow, when it really should be solid. Also, the stand material is acrylic, but I couldn't figure out out to get that effect.

EDIT: Put some thickness to the walls supporting the horizontal puzzle, adding more structural practicality.
Attachments
THE EDIT
THE EDIT
Screen shot 2011-01-28 at 4.46.32 PM.png (108.91 KiB) Viewed 9628 times
Last edited by Jehrets2 on Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BU00618- Open
GR00394- Open
BR00472- Open
AG00324- Hmph
adamwest

Post by adamwest »

I really like the last one but it would be cool to display the core separately. What do you think of sketchup?
Proud owner of set #16 (RevoTaster)

BU00016 OPEN x and o
GR00016 OPEN x and o
Black o OPEN
BR00016
OPEN
RD00016 OPEN
AG00016 OPEN
AU00016 CLOSED
OR00016 OPEN (mark you're just mean ;) )
Jehrets2

Post by Jehrets2 »

It was...different. I've never used any program like this before, so it took me awhile to figure out, but I can see it has a lot of potential to be used to design really cool things.

As for the core idea, I thought of the same thing but then figured you would probably need a place to put the draw and the pins. I actually had a design where there was a little drawer for the pins and a cut out for the draw, but deleted it has it would probably cost a fortune to manufacture.
BU00618- Open
GR00394- Open
BR00472- Open
AG00324- Hmph
Stigy

Post by Stigy »

Number 3 definitely has potential.

I think we could always just keep our pins and draws in a little box or bag or something, they don't have to be kept with the stand. The ability to display the Revo with the core removed would be great though.
mattangel

Post by mattangel »

Stigy wrote:Number 3 definitely has potential.

I think we could always just keep our pins and draws in a little box or bag or something, they don't have to be kept with the stand. The ability to display the Revo with the core removed would be great though.
So take #3, set a pin in the sleeve to hold the core and stick the core in backwards with the maze sticking out the top. Voilà! Maze displayed!
RodMingo

Post by RodMingo »

Really like No.3 .... At the right price I'd go as far as to say I'd buy it !! :D

Rod
BLUE EX OPEN, BLACK OB OPEN, GREEN OB REVOING
AFKAN

Post by AFKAN »

Quick punt from me (first time using a 3D tool so I'm quite pleased so far :lol: )

Obviously this would need to be tidied up a bit and dimensions corrected but you get the idea (hopefully) :D

I've included a small area at the back for bits and bobs ;)

And I've added a bit for the certificate :D I'm quite liking this SketchUp 8-) :lol:
Attachments
RevoStand(2).jpg
RevoStand(2).jpg (90.55 KiB) Viewed 9706 times
RevoStand.jpg
RevoStand.jpg (114.02 KiB) Viewed 9729 times
Graham:-)
Ex
AG00078 - 22-03-11
R00104 - 06-01-12
OR00053 -20-01-12
LM - Hmm
TI00032 - Let's Go!!!...
Ob
Blue - 09-10-10
Blue Pro - 09-12-11
Green - 03-11-10
Black - 12-11-10
Black v2 - 04-02-12
Red - So near and yet...
Jehrets2

Post by Jehrets2 »

mattangel1 wrote:
Stigy wrote:Number 3 definitely has potential.

So take #3, set a pin in the sleeve to hold the core and stick the core in backwards with the maze sticking out the top. Voilà! Maze displayed!
You can do that :shock: ????

EDIT: Apparently, yes. But, it takes tweezers, and I think it's not that good for the pin to be supporting the entire core (maybe?). Looks really cool though!
BU00618- Open
GR00394- Open
BR00472- Open
AG00324- Hmph
ReVoRabbit

Post by ReVoRabbit »

Paradox wrote:The idea does make sense ReVoRabbit, but by the looks of it that stand in it's complete form would be several feet wide!

I'm certainly no expert in product design or marketing, but I reckon when it comes to something like a stand which is a sideline to the main product, less is more.
I completely agree with your satement here. I did this quick mock up in paint and it isnt very good.
i think applying Jehret2's idea and some real numbers to the pyramid might make it more realistic.
OWNER OF REVOMAZE Set 20
Since February 18 2009
Extreme
BU GR BR AG au pu BL R HM OR TI lm AQ
TQ MT IN CU GM sa GY BKM SP EM ru
PE
v2: BU GR BR Marbles: Brain Store MINI CE
Obsession
Black Body: BU GR R BL
Colored Body: BU GR R BL
Black v2: BUpro GR BL
Prototypes