Chance of winning for non-UK residents?

General Posts.
Jonasb78

Chance of winning for non-UK residents?

Post by Jonasb78 »

(This might already exists but in that case I have missed it)

I live in Sweden and the odds of me going to the UK to compete are quite slim. Is there a way of winning anything without going to the UK? Is there a "lottery" draw or something similar?

If not I would like to put this up as an suggestion, ie. one could get 1 "ticket" for each of the five puzzle one solve and at the end of the year (or at the competition event) X numbers of tickets will be drawn and win a prize ie.

* a percentage in the accumulated prize fund
* pre set cash prize
* free puzzle in seriez II
* discount on series II
*etc.

This would give an added value and incentive to continue buying these puzzles, especially for non UK residents.
BU00043 - Solved
GR00043 - Solved
BR00043 - Solved
AG00043 - Kicking my ass
Former owner of BL04 LE

My puzzle collecting blog
ReVoRabbit

Re: Chance of winning for non-UK residents?

Post by ReVoRabbit »

thats a good idea for those who get bumped off the leaderboard or those who elect to not go to the tournament.

would you go to the tournament if the winning ticket recieved airfare to the UK? chris is already paying for the hotel and some food.
OWNER OF REVOMAZE Set 20
Since February 18 2009
Extreme
BU GR BR AG au pu BL R HM OR TI lm AQ
TQ MT IN CU GM sa GY BKM SP EM ru
PE
v2: BU GR BR Marbles: Brain Store MINI CE
Obsession
Black Body: BU GR R BL
Colored Body: BU GR R BL
Black v2: BUpro GR BL
Prototypes
BU Obs
Mint Peach
Jupiter
Jonasb78

Post by Jonasb78 »

ReVoRabbit wrote:would you go to the tournament if the winning ticket recieved airfare to the UK? chris is already paying for the hotel and some food.
I would definitive go if don't work, (but I guess the tournament would be on a weekend) and received airfare to the UK. One little snag though... domestic flights tend to be more expensive than the flights to the UK, so with that in mind I'm afraid the airfare would get too expensive even for chris.

For my particular situation (I live in Umeå) lets look at a example: Lets say the tournament is in one month on a weekend Sat-Sun (May 16-17) The flight(with return ticket) from Umeå to Stockholm would be aprox. £230 and the flight from Stockholm to London (with return ticket) would be aprox. £140

This totals to aprox. £370 which is a lot of money, this alone could probably be enough to cover five £70 prices in a lottery
(Flight prices based on SAS Scandinavian Airlines)

Don't get me wrong here... I would love to go :mrgreen: , but it's hard to justify the money for traveling. :roll:
BU00043 - Solved
GR00043 - Solved
BR00043 - Solved
AG00043 - Kicking my ass
Former owner of BL04 LE

ReVoRabbit

Post by ReVoRabbit »

i'd give up part of my prize fund to be put into a tournament lottory for airfare. with the prize fund at 2000, if we give up 500 pounds, that still gives us a nice fund to work with and we still have most of the year to watch the fund grow. this might be something we want to present to chris...
OWNER OF REVOMAZE Set 20
Since February 18 2009
Extreme
BU GR BR AG au pu BL R HM OR TI lm AQ
TQ MT IN CU GM sa GY BKM SP EM ru
PE
v2: BU GR BR Marbles: Brain Store MINI CE
Obsession
Black Body: BU GR R BL
Colored Body: BU GR R BL
Black v2: BUpro GR BL
Prototypes
BU Obs
Mint Peach
Jupiter
Jonasb78

Post by Jonasb78 »

Anyone else here that has any thoughts about this?

My vote would go on a global lottery(including UK) rather then airfare, because this would benefit more people.

Just for clarification; I'm not suggestion to skip the live competition event in any way. I do think it is an awesome idea and a fair way to compete for the big bucks. But I think a small "lottery" (or something similar) would be great carrot for those who think that they cant make it to the event. :roll:
BU00043 - Solved
GR00043 - Solved
BR00043 - Solved
AG00043 - Kicking my ass
Former owner of BL04 LE

Return to “Competitions General”