Musings on the competition

Discussion about our Series I competition.
ReVoRabbit

Re: Musings on the competition

Post by ReVoRabbit »

glad to see you back. So when the wife get home and sees a dent in your sons forhead the shape of a 7 sided nut, whats your explaination going to be?
OWNER OF REVOMAZE Set 20
Since February 18 2009
Extreme
BU GR BR AG au pu BL R HM OR TI lm AQ
TQ MT IN CU GM sa GY BKM SP EM ru
PE
v2: BU GR BR Marbles: Brain Store MINI CE
Obsession
Black Body: BU GR R BL
Colored Body: BU GR R BL
Black v2: BUpro GR BL
Prototypes
BU Obs
Mint Peach
Jupiter
Ironkong

Post by Ironkong »

If the boy turns out to be such a child genius i'll be telling the world!!! (and claiming his place on the leader board!)
Check out theflowfieldunity.com. Brother-in-laws comic site!

BU00026 - Opened, alone and lonely!
GR00002SE - Re-homed
BR00002SE - Re-homed
AG00002SE - Re-homed
BL00002LE - Re-homed
Ironkong

Post by Ironkong »

ReVoRabbit wrote:glad to see you back. So when the wife get home and sees a dent in your sons forhead the shape of a 7 sided nut, whats your explaination going to be?
that i was forced to teach him to respect my puzzles and authority!!
Check out theflowfieldunity.com. Brother-in-laws comic site!

BU00026 - Opened, alone and lonely!
GR00002SE - Re-homed
BR00002SE - Re-homed
AG00002SE - Re-homed
BL00002LE - Re-homed
maztec

Post by maztec »

Cheating with these things isn't going to be easy. I can think of a few ways to get them open unscrupulously, not show any marks, and not damage any of the parts of the maze, but it would take some gear and patience. Then, you just lose all the fun of taking them apart.

Really, this whole hammer method of opening them doesn't sound like a bright idea, nor the easiest way to do it. Heck, I'm not even sure it would work. Has anyone actually tried it? (Chris?)
OOOOOOOoo
ReVoRabbit

Post by ReVoRabbit »

i know chris has. from my understanding its probably the worst way of getting anywhere. the pin the hardest of the 3 metals doesnt give at all. the shaft being the softest would just drag the pin and cause it to lodge against the unforgiving aluminum. its just not very sensible. Like maztec mentioned there are a lot better ways of cheating.
OWNER OF REVOMAZE Set 20
Since February 18 2009
Extreme
PE
Obsession
Prototypes
BU Obs
Mint Peach
Jupiter
walther

Post by walther »

ReVoRabbit wrote:i know chris has. from my understanding its probably the worst way of getting anywhere. the pin the hardest of the 3 metals doesnt give at all. the shaft being the softest would just drag the pin and cause it to lodge against the unforgiving aluminum. its just not very sensible. Like maztec mentioned there are a lot better ways of cheating.
I doubt anyone would bother. I mean really what is the advantage you don't get anything for being first or fastest other than bragging about it, but that would blow up pretty quick. So buying and damaging it is pointless at the price you pay for it. And in the long run, say you do cheat and solve the Gold first, all you gain is a second advantage in the competition, which you wouldn't show up to in the first place. As for drilling, if you haven't opened it how would you know where to drill in the first place? After my Blue incident my Revo Sticker came off :cry: and even knowing about that hole I don't think would do much good.
3SE/EX>BU Open|GR Open|BR Open|AG(1) Broken|AG(2) Open|AU Broken...again???
90EX>BU|GR|BR|AG|AU
3LE>BL Open|LI Closed|Handmade Closed
Obsession>BU Open|GR Open|BL Open|RD Open|BUPro Open
3SE>RD Open|OR Closed|TI Closed
PU 3rd Round Winner
ReVoRabbit

Post by ReVoRabbit »

i totally agree with you, cheating wont even give you the satisfaction of being first because, well, you cheated! how did your sticker come off? i saw the hole a long long time ago when i saw the first pictures of the prototype. but after opening the blue i saw how it worked and how wrong i was. i assumed the pin and spring was behind the sticker in that hole. but aswe all know now, its just a hole.
OWNER OF REVOMAZE Set 20
Since February 18 2009
Extreme
PE
Obsession
Prototypes
BU Obs
Mint Peach
Jupiter
walther

Post by walther »

ReVoRabbit wrote:i totally agree with you, cheating wont even give you the satisfaction of being first because, well, you cheated! how did your sticker come off? i saw the hole a long long time ago when i saw the first pictures of the prototype. but after opening the blue i saw how it worked and how wrong i was. i assumed the pin and spring was behind the sticker in that hole. but aswe all know now, its just a hole.
Dump a bunch of random chemicals in the shell (3in1, WD-40, goo-off, etc) to try and get my stuck pin out. (For those that don't know, spring fell out at the beach and when the pin went back in there must have been a bit of sand or something because it wedged in with no spring). So, one thought was that the pin went in behind the sticker and it was being held by some of the glue or a bit of sand or something. Anyway, the stuff went got into the hole and worked it's way under the sticker making it not so sticky not to mention a little dust, cat hair and what not.

And yes it's just a hole (they had to drill to the opposite side for the spring somehow) also a good place to hold it for the anodizing process.
3SE/EX>BU Open|GR Open|BR Open|AG(1) Broken|AG(2) Open|AU Broken...again???
90EX>BU|GR|BR|AG|AU
3LE>BL Open|LI Closed|Handmade Closed
Obsession>BU Open|GR Open|BL Open|RD Open|BUPro Open
3SE>RD Open|OR Closed|TI Closed
PU 3rd Round Winner
allardwza

Post by allardwza »

...not having tried to dismantle one of them, I'd assumed that the easiest way to insert the spring would be through a hole drilled opposite... :idea: ?

But then what would I know, still can't get my bronze beast open!

allard
Amateur Puzzle Hoarder and occasional blogger
maztec

Post by maztec »

Allard - keep trying, and think out of the box. :) I got it, eventually.

I can't think of any way to beat a puzzle open if the pin is actually stuck, short of putting a razor wire through and cutting it with a loop. But, that would take forever.

-- Okay, enough speculating how to open puzzles without solving the maze :p Too much thinking aobut that will jsut tempt someone to try it.
OOOOOOOoo

Return to “REVOMAZE Puzzle Challenge 2009-2010”