What do you think of this lottery idea?

General Questions.
matrixagent

What do you think of this lottery idea?

Post by matrixagent »

As per topic,

I'd be interested to hear what people think? This has gone from a skill(speed) based competition to chance. Also this seems to have opened up from a limited leader-board to anyone with any V1 open puzzle from any time(V2's not counted).

I'd imagine for those who have be speed trialing in their relevant groups will be a little peeved.
I've heard of some frighteningly quick silver times.

One thing that was mentioned was - lottery numbers given per puzzle solved.

With the current system.

if person A has solved Blue, Green Bronze they get 3 numbers
if person B has solved Silver, Gold, Orange they also get 3 numbers....

I'm not so sure that really is fair. Your saying someone who has worked on the first 3 gets equal chance at a purple to someone who has gone through the murderous Silver/Gold/Orange etc.

I feel that the harder the puzzles solved the better the reward right?
Reward out should be in line with effort put in.

You could say I was biased..and perhaps you are correct to some degree, But I actually do believe as it stands the system is not in favour of those who've worked the hardest(especially on the lime!:P)

Just my thoughts for today.

Just realised this is in the wrong place. Should have been in Series Code General. Mods Please move it :)
RevoMaze 1 - Open
Open - :D
Open - How long is that!?
Open - Sneaky.
Open - My thumbs hurt.
Open - TWO of the little bleeders!!!
Lime "Infinite" - Open(first)
Open - Happy now
That'd be like giving a cat a reach-around
smiteo

Re: What do you think of this lottery idea?

Post by smiteo »

except from the rules stated so far, it has nothing to do with OPEN puzzles, just the number of puzzles purchased.
duplicates count. (up to 15 tickets).
OOOOOOOOOO? proud owner of set #29, BL09, R00009, OR00009, LM00009, HM-09 and BlackV2obs
matrixagent

Post by matrixagent »

smiteo wrote:except from the rules stated so far, it has nothing to do with OPEN puzzles, just the number of puzzles purchased.
duplicates count. (up to 15 tickets).
I thought you had to provide the Serial number - E.G the thing from the Certificate inside.

If what you say is true then it is FAR worse than I thought.

Russ.
RevoMaze 1 - Open
Open - Sneaky.
Open - My thumbs hurt.
Open - Happy now
TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler »

No certificate number required, just the serial number on the core.

And yes, duplicates permitted, up to 15 entries, no requirement to have ever opened a puzzle.
open open open open open open open

http://puzzling-parts.thejuggler.net/
smiteo

Post by smiteo »

in that event, can we count v1 and v2 for silver as separate puzzles? :)
OOOOOOOOOO? proud owner of set #29, BL09, R00009, OR00009, LM00009, HM-09 and BlackV2obs
matrixagent

Post by matrixagent »

TheJuggler wrote:No certificate number required, just the serial number on the core.

And yes, duplicates permitted, up to 15 entries, no requirement to have ever opened a puzzle.
So much for the old saying "your efforts will be rewarded"

R.
RevoMaze 1 - Open
Open - Sneaky.
Open - My thumbs hurt.
Open - Happy now
maztec

Post by maztec »

matrixagent wrote:
TheJuggler wrote:No certificate number required, just the serial number on the core.

So much for the old saying "your efforts will be rewarded"

R.
Correction, I think you meant: "your spending will be rewarded."
OOOOOOOoo
stet

Post by stet »

I hate it to my core. So much that I am considering selling my entire collection and never having anything to do with RevoMaze ever again. Some puzzlers like to complain about a certain other company who has at times deceptively changed the rules and done some “sleazy” things. This is right up there with them.

Of course if I actually win a Purple out of this my thoughts on it will change :)

I was one of the original backers of the RevoMaze series and was one of the few who pre-purchased the main series right in the beginning. All of my RevoMazes have matching serial number 5s and the series ones are stamped as “SE” for Special Editions.

I competed to get places on the leader boards. And yes, it was a competition to get there. There were limited spots on each of the regional leader boards for the puzzles, and less spots with every release. I didn’t even make it on the Bronze one due to personal issues at the time which prevented me from working with the puzzle in time (but I am on the reserve list for it). I finally made it onto the Silver one after the entire V1 issue thing and long delays getting V2 SEs sent out (Chris eventually sent me an alternate V2 to use while waiting for the V2 SEs to get made).

I was proud of the spots I did earn on the leader boards, which includes the #1 spot for the Green on the US board.

The leader boards and competition to get on them was a huge part of what it meant to be involved with RevoMazes. It is a terrible shame that all of that is for nothing and has been tossed away in favor for a lottery that only cares if you bought puzzles, not that you completed them let alone did so sooner than others.

There are so many other and better ways this can be done. I still wish it was changed to only count slots on the leader boards.

I can understand why the live competitions were dropped though I was planning on attending the US one and was looking forward to the finals. The idea of a competition using puzzles that none of the participants have ever used before was exciting. But why were the individual leader boards thrown away at the same time? They should be restored and used as part of the replacement competition.

Of course if I actually win a Purple out of this my thoughts on it will change :)

The leader boards have now been removed from the site. Does anyone have an archived copy of them?
Needs to be updated!
SE #05:
BU Solved GR Solved BR Solved AG(V1) Not Solved AG(V2) Solved AU Won't Be Solved TI Missed
LE #05:
BL Solved RD Solved OR Not Solved HM Not Solved LI Ordered
Gold Plated CE #05:
BU Ordered GR Ordered BR Ordered AG Ordered AU Ordered TI Ordered
thayneq

Post by thayneq »

I never expected the competition to happen in vegas and london. That was a pipe dream for sure.

However, I completely agree that leaving it to chance is not cool. I know a lot of us worked really hard, (even skipped work) to get a good spot on the leaderboards. To have the purple go to some schmuck who bought 1 blue puzzle would be truly wasteful, considering how much enthusiasm there is from the people on this forum.

I have a video recording of me solving bronze in 28 seconds and silver in under a minute. I say let the competition continue, but entries must be submitted through video recording with a live timer in the shot.

ahh well, this isn't the first time revo HQ has changed the rules on us, so I guess I'm not surprised anymore. Still, it's a bit of a "FU" to those of us who are collectors.
Opening order:
BR 50h. Fast=28s
BK Obs 12h.
BL 25m. Fast=12s.
GR 3h.
AG 20h. Fast=1m56s
AU 70h.
RD 1h.
RD Obs 6h.
OR 20h.
LM 40h. Fast=2m12s
IN 16h.