Update from Revo HQ 2022 / 2023

General announcements
prodigy

Re: Update from Revo HQ 2022 / 2023

Post by prodigy »

Hi all, we wanted to send out a message to let you know we’ve put up an special Blue V1 puzzle, the first plastic ever made, with serial number BU00001 on the VAULTMAZE website.

https://www.vaultmaze.uk/product-page/b ... ition-made

We have made a new category for Revomaze’s we have available here at HQ, including seconds: https://www.vaultmaze.uk/revomaze-s-for-sale

Thanks all,

Rachel
Blue V1 serial number BU00001 was recently discovered in a box at Revomaze HQ and is the very first plastic one Chris Pitt made in 2009. The shaft is not removable and does not have ends on either side or the certificate hole. It was originally created to test the functionality of the plastic, and Chris made the changes shortly after this one. It's an highly unique and special puzzle that deserves to be re-homed with a new owner. Please note that due to the age of the puzzle, the black sleeve has minor dents that are only visible up close.
4ff6aa_b47ed250ab364a90b87a22c8e8bc658c~mv2.jpeg
4ff6aa_b47ed250ab364a90b87a22c8e8bc658c~mv2.jpeg (12.42 KiB) Viewed 15409 times
OPEN: AQUA - TURQUOISE - BLUE - GREEN - BRONZE - SILVER - GOLD - INDIGO - TITANIUM - RED - ORANGE - LIME - GUNMETAL - PURPLE - COPPER - MINT - HANDMADE - MERCURY - BLACK - BLACK MERC - SALMON - GREY - SAPPHIRE - EMERALD - RUBY - PEACH
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

Hi all, we wanted to share an update with you all regarding the first VAULTMAZE shipment. We are aiming to have all STARTER PACKS shipped by the end of this week. 📦

We gratefully appreciate everyone’s continued patience while this has been worked on.

The update can also be viewed on the following link via our VM forum: https://www.vaultmaze.uk/forum/announce ... ing-update

Thanks everyone 🙏
OPEN: AQUA - TURQUOISE - BLUE - GREEN - BRONZE - SILVER - GOLD - INDIGO - TITANIUM - RED - ORANGE - LIME - GUNMETAL - PURPLE - COPPER - MINT - HANDMADE - MERCURY - BLACK - BLACK MERC - SALMON - GREY - SAPPHIRE - EMERALD - RUBY - PEACH
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

Revomaze V4's available to pre-order

Hi all,

We have a small selection of Revomaze V4 puzzles available to pre-order on the vaultmaze.uk website today under the 'Revomaze's for sale' category.

The V4's are like the rings but solid, it uses the same body, nut, drawbar, and certificate bar from VAULTMAZE.

On the end it will have 'REVOMAZE' instead of the 'VAULTMAZE'. The nut will have the serial number BU0001 and so on.

We have made colours available based on the demand from the wishlist, we can make more later depending on what people would like to purchase.

View the collection here: https://www.vaultmaze.uk/revomazes-for-sale
New V4 sleeves arriving and extras

Hi everybody,

We've begun to receive the V4 sleeves, special-edition sleeves (Purple and Handmade) and a few extra black pin sleeves, which will be included in batch two for VM subscribers, as well as a few extras for orders.

Production have provided an timeline they're working towards to have all of the rings and components ready for batch 2. To have everything prepared and ready to start shipping, we are aiming for the second week of October, if we were to anticipate any delay, we will be in touch directly to confirm this. The orders will be done in batches, and we will be working towards shipping sooner if possible, as soon as the first batch starts to go out, we will be in touch to finalise this.
4ff6aa_d0544c2da4384ae0997772d39b4ef84e~mv2.png
4ff6aa_d0544c2da4384ae0997772d39b4ef84e~mv2.png (551.79 KiB) Viewed 14590 times

The remaining V4 sleeves we are working with our anodiser to receive in early October, and production will begin fitting the V4's into production after the rings and components have been finished, quality-checked, and are ready to go.

Below is a sleeve comparison between the Blue's (left) and Sapphire's (right) sleeves, if we were to make the Aqua's, they would be even lighter than the Blue's.
4ff6aa_b89e1e02fb804b709228a02f91cdb809~mv2.jpeg
4ff6aa_b89e1e02fb804b709228a02f91cdb809~mv2.jpeg (76.7 KiB) Viewed 14590 times

We will keep you updated on our progress, and we are enormousely grateful for your ongoing support and understanding, and will ensure we work hard towards getting this fulfilled as quickly as possible. Should you have any queries or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out to us.

Thanks all,

Rachel
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

Hello everyone

We thought we would share an overview of what stage we are at with pack 1. Our machinist is running the rings and components for the packs daily which are continuing to be made throughout the evenings. From machining, we've found how many hours it takes per pack, which is much longer, as well as testing and designing, which has taken a lot of time to ensure for a smooth machining process. We are now waiting for general packaging supplies and boxes for the black pin retractable sleeves, expected end of this week/early next week.

As soon as the components are good to leave, we can start to package up and book in your pack, beforehand, I will contact you directly, confirming this is due to happen. You will receive an email with your tracking confirmation, shortly after it's left us :-)

The V4 sleeves are now with us (except for the Lime's) which will soon be collected. Machining for the V4's has not yet begun I'm afraid due to the machine being very busy with the ring components, rest assured this will be a priority as soon as possible, we will be in touch with more information as soon as this begins.

We will continue to do everything possible to ship soon, without confirming a date to avoid disappointment at this time, we will confirm as soon as orders start to go out, we are very hopeful that the wait will be worthwhile, and that the VM journey will provide an rewarding journey ahead...

Speak soon, and thank you for reading.

Best regards,

Rachel
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

Hi all

The team have been very busy working behind-the-scenes on the pack 1 preparation. From cutting out foam for the boxes, to receiving the Lime sleeves for the V4's, and testing out our new bubble labels on the retractable pin sleeve.

We're now waiting for boxes to arrive which has been slightly delayed, and the caps and bodies are being machined for the ENHANCED and LUXURY sets.

progress.png
progress.png (1.18 MiB) Viewed 14496 times

We will be sending the packs in smaller batches to begin with and working our way through them as early as possible.

I will be out from next week and will return the week after, in the meantime Chris will be monitoring any communications and will do his best to return to you as soon as possible, please reach us at helpdesk@revohq.co.uk if you have any enquiries.

Our machinists have made great progress over the last couple months, who will be then focusing on pack 2 & 3, as well as the V4's production, we greatly appreciate your pre-orders for these since they were announced. We will aim to share more behind-the-scenes throughout and we'll be in touch to confirm as soon as your upcoming
pack is ready to go.

Thank you

Rachel
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

Pack 1 & sleeve shipping update

Hi everybody

We are now aiming to start shipping the first batch for pack 1 and the sleeve by next week, due to short staff there possibly may be slight delays in sending all which would be continued through to the week after although as much will be done as possible to get them all sent. The boxes will be with us ready to start being sent by Chris. Due to myself being away next week please do not hesitate to send an email to Chris with any enquiries to chris@revohq.co.uk or helpdesk@revohq.co.uk

sleeve_update.png
sleeve_update.png (1.31 MiB) Viewed 14476 times

The preparation is now done and the caps and base bodies are now made and require the last stage of machining to be finalised ready for the ENHANCED / LUXURY sets. All of the components will be placed into the boxes and sealed ready to leave us. If you have requested any extras to go with your parcel please note these will be included.

We look forward to getting them underway and receiving your feedback on the next part of the VAULTMAZE quest.

Many thanks

Rachel
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

Hello all,

We can confirm that the pack 1 parcels have begun shipping at the start of the week while we have been fulfilling additonal orders. We have the second half to do which we are aiming to start sending throughout November (or as early as possible) the V4 production has now begun this week and this will continue through to next week. We are aiming to start sending them out as early as possible, we have started to contact customers who have placed their orders with an more detailed update.

A customer who has put all 3 mazes together has very kindly brought to our attention two rings in pack 1
Spoiler:
(219 and 513) unfortunately do have two small issues that can affect the solvability of one of the mazes.
Our customers who have received pack 1 or will soon receive theirs will notice this when putting their rings together, to rectify this issue production will be machining the rings with the modifications and we will be sending the replacements to everyone who has been sent pack 1 and will ensure the correct rings are in the packs that have not shipped yet. Due to extra machining time this may take more time to prepare the second half of the batch although we will be aiming to send them all out in November.

We deeply apologise for the disappointment this may cause and please be assured we will be rectifying this issue to ensure that all rings are replaced or will be sent the correct rings with the mods.

Thank you.
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

Out-of-office notice for the holiday season

We wanted to let you know that we will be out of the office starting this evening and will return on January 2nd, 2024.

We would like to extend our deepest appreciation to each and every one of you for your support this year with the new VAULTMAZE project and the V4's that we have been producing and shipping. We shipped out as many orders as we could this week, and we provided updates to customers who were still awaiting their products. We'll give this top priority and finish in the upcoming year including the remaining PACK 1's and V4's.

Wishing you all a joyful holiday season and the very best for 2024. If you have any questions while we are away, please email us and we will get back to you upon our return.

Warmest regards to everyone,

Chris and Rach
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

Hello everyone we hope you are having a great holiday season. We have attached an announcement from Revo HQ for possible support on a new product based on feedback we’ve had from yourselves.

Introducing REVOMAZE Lite….

Please view the following announcement to check it out further: https://www.vaultmaze.uk/forum/announce ... e-revomaze

Many thanks,

Rachel
I post a text version here below (the same information as in the link above):

To celebrate 15 years of the REVOMAZE

ANNOUCEMENT 24-12-2023

To celebrate 15 years of the REVOMAZE

Dear All,

On Christmas Day 2008, having cooked Christmas dinner, I wanted to design a puzzle. The design was based on two pieces of material I had, 1” brass and 2” aluminium bar along with a recently purchased CNC Mill and CNC dividing head.

My design came from a mistake I made making slots in a screwdriver handle in the 1970's while doing my apprenticeship. The idea was to create a maze you cannot see and must solve by touch alone. Here are some issues I was faced with during the design on Christmas day and the production of the prototype on Boxing day.

Challenge 1 - Design the maze using flat graph paper.

As the maze was going to be on a round shaft, I had a 3mm cutter to do this. The first issue was to divide the 1” (79.8mm circumference) with the 3mm cutter diameter came out to 26.5 or 53 half steps. So, I made it 50 1.5mm steps making the circumference of 75mm (diameter of 23.84mm) making the hole to drill in the sleeve of 24mm diameter.

Next was the length. My 2” aluminium was 87mm long while the 1” brass was 110mm long. Making the sleeve 85mm would have to be half so the maze would not reveal itself which comes to 42.5mm.

To be centred on this line, it is 1.5mm on each side. Going 26 steps of 1.5mm giving a range of 0 - 39mm makes a total length of 40.5mm (with the 1.5mm cutter radius) and leaves an edge of 2mm.

So, the graph paper was set to 50 x 26 (1.5mm X 1.5mm) squares.

Challenge 2 – Assembly

The next issue was how to assemble the puzzle quickly. Having to solve the puzzle to get the puzzle to the start was not the best idea. When designing the maze, two issues came out. How to get to the beginning and how to prevent the pin from going back the same way.

The solution was twofold. Adding a deeper (reset channel) would require ramps to go from one lever to the other. In doing that, a spring-loaded pin would be required.

This solution was the unique part that made this puzzle so original. We made the maze depth 1.5mm and the reset tramps to 3mm deep.

Challenge 3 – Drilling the sleeve hole.

The biggest drill I had was 11mm. After drilling the sleeve, I then had to bore out to 24mm diameter. This took a long time and was hard to keep parallel but once done, I then turned the brass to 23.84mm leaving 0.08mm on each side.

Challenge 4 – No C Axis.

My mill only had X, Y and Z axes. Having a separate controller for the new dividing head allowed me to program 50 divisions making 7.2 degrees for each turn. I therefore had to do everything by hand ending up with a maze that nearly matched the original drawing but left a kink in one of the main reset lines plus a couple of other areas where I did too many division presses.

Challenge 5 – Stopping users from access to the pin.

I wanted to make the puzzle such that it must be solved to gain access to the maze. I achieved this by drilling from one side through to the other on the sleeve. This meant I had to find a way to allow the pin to drop into the maze to allow the core to be removed.

I had a spring that fitted neatly in the sleeve hole through to the other side that was below the surface.

Once done, the pin length was adjusted until it smoothly went up the end ramp and then clicked into the reset line helped by a rounded pin end. Even with the kink, it worked smoothly and clicked positively into the central reset line.

Challenge 6 – Forgot to take pictures is one reason the puzzle is successful.

Having no pictures and being impatient to try the maze out, I had the belief that the maze would be correct and while having the drawing, would be easy to solve, I was wrong. It took nearly 3 hours to solve, and many tries later would become the reason why the puzzle has become so successful.

Once solved, the elation and euphoria of solving it made me want to try again and once more I had no pictures. But to my surprise, the second attempt took a few minutes and then down to seconds confirming that once solved, the ability to re-solve was straightforward making the puzzle an object the puzzler wanted to show other people who then had to go through the same learning process.

After a few tries, I finally made some changes to the maze by adding 7-sided flats on the ends of the maze and then made the sleeve with some steps and score lines to make it look like rings before adding a slot to place “REVOMAZE 1” onto it.

Challenge 7 – Finding someone to make the puzzle.

It soon became apparent that making the puzzle would require serious equipment. This took a couple of months, but the machine used is very expensive sliding head lathes as well as convincing the engineers how the design works.

The company spent a short while programming their Citizen M32 sliding head machine when I was called in to be shown the result. I was then shown one being made that took just 6 minutes compared to my many hours of work.

Challenge 8 – Telling the public.

In February 2009, I put the first 12 “REVOMAZE” puzzles onto eBay. This caused a massive response in the puzzling community with a later video blogger running a review that achieved over 5.6 million views.

Challenge 9 – Meeting the expectations of our growing and dedicated customers.

Our customers are loyal and enthusiastic puzzlers who are dedicated and intelligent and who want more challenging puzzles. We stepped up a level using dynamic moving parts.

This attracted high-level users who rose to the challenge and to everything we could design. In doing so we made our course onto an ever-decreasing client base. This was compounded by errors in design as well as making the puzzles too costly.

Throughout the product life cycle, we have introduced new products that gave a boost for a while, but the inevitable decline continued.

Challenge 10 – Overreaching in a global repressed market.

Due to government changes, instability in markets and the impact of the global pandemic as well as wars that have made the economy unstable in many countries, we are facing our biggest challenge which is to produce a puzzle that can be enjoyed by a larger audience.

List of Challenges:

1) Price
2) Weight
3) Complexity
4) Design size

Future …

Make the puzzle in moulded plastic. But this will require a massive investment. While we have technically worked out the possibility, we have had to curb it as this would require careful planning to get the product into the distribution channels.

What is next, short term? …

15 years ago, I invented a puzzle that has sold tens of thousands to clients in hundreds of countries. So, Rachel asked a question to our loyal customers, and I was taken aback by the answer she received.

Rachel asked, “Would you recommend our puzzle to someone else?” The answer was “No!”

The reason they gave was that the puzzles were too expensive and complicated. The collectors and high-end puzzlers still love the puzzle, but it was clear why we are seeing such a decline as we have become too niche, and growth was not sustainable.

Having 15 years of REVOMAZE experience, it was time for a reboot.

VAULTMAZE became a massive project that has proven the issues we were already experiencing had not been learned, but while the engineering and design are successful, the project has had challenges. We are committed to completing it and continuing development for our customer base.

I sat having a coffee in our local Starbucks and came up with a new approach that may allow us to meet a new audience. Time has shown my original idea above was sound and has good reason to be successful and can be again with some changes to tackle the challenges we are having.

Materials

We use a 2” aluminium round bar for the sleeve which is expensive as well as requires expensive machines to produce the hole that is parallel and clean finish to be as smooth as possible.

We use a costly 1” round brass bar for the maze which again needs an expensive machine to run.

Both produce components that are expensive and heavy. Due to supply, we make the maze and now make the components to build the core making them complex to assemble.

Both require finishing by anodising and nickel plating.

So where is my main challenge – Well, to be frank, it is the sleeve hole and that led me to my solution.

Looking at my material supplier, I came across an aluminium tube that had 5mm thick walls. Therefore, I started looking into using this like the clear training sleeve we had created that had a 24mm hole.

Having a test piece, that came as 30mm outer and 20mm inside, I found another supplier who had tube at 31.5mm with 6.8mm thick walls. This gave me around 19.1mm internal diameter on the tube.

Next, I considered the maze bar as being aluminium. This has advantages and disadvantages. Back at the beginning, we did a test maze but was not successful as aluminium-on-aluminium binds and eventually welds itself plus the small walls could be bent or damaged. However, rethinking the situation by looking at my MacBook Pro anodising that resists scratching, the benefits are as follows:

The advantages …

1) Cheaper.
2) Lighter.
3) Can be anodised.
a. For the sleeve, we would do a hard black.
b. The maze can be the colour level.
c. The result will harden the surfaces.

The disadvantages …

1) Not as strong.
2) Smaller diameter.
3) Binding with the sleeve.

So, before we start, we must address the maze rubbing inside the sleeve. This was solved using two O-rings at the beginning and end of the maze. These O-rings are bigger than the diameter of the maze but can control the pressure inside the sleeve. This was successful and the result gives us a smooth motion with low friction.

Using a 2mm cutter (we create a map on a 1mm x 1mm grid), gives us 60 by 34 (2040 points) compared with the 50 by 26 (1300 points) of the standard REVOMAZE giving us a larger area map even though the diameter is smaller.

The pin…

Learning from the success of the VAULTMAZE sleeve, the knowledge was used to create a pin that would be always in the sleeve. But it cannot have a cap as that would not follow the rule of having to solve the puzzle to the end.

The core must be removable, so instead of the pin going down into the end slot, we get the pin to go up to the surface. Using a tool that locks the pin in place, the core can then be removed. Using a second tool allows the maze to be refitted even if the first tool has been removed.

So now we have a new lighter and cheaper puzzle that is also thinner than the standard puzzle and as such is much cheaper. But while being made of aluminium and a smaller diameter, we feel the puzzle is tough and gives a good puzzle experience.

Using a design making the walls thicker than normal, the user gets good feedback without the fear of damaging the maze. Due to its mass, the puzzle isn’t damaged when dropped and having the pin housing out from the sleeve makes the puzzle difficult to roll off a desk. Being a smaller overall diameter makes it fit better in the pocket.

Who are we aiming at?

1) Kids
2) University students
3) Pensioners
4) Our current user base (25-45 age range)

Being cheaper, smaller, and lighter makes it more accessible to a wider audience.

INTRODUCING …

REVOMAZE Lite
"Lite in size Lite in cost"
https://video.wixstatic.com/video/4ff6a ... 4/file.mp4
Revomaze Lite.png
Revomaze Lite.png (393.01 KiB) Viewed 11867 times
Revomaze_lite_maze.png
Revomaze_lite_maze.png (142.93 KiB) Viewed 11867 times

Comparison

REVOMAZE LITE

Length​​ 100MM​​​

Diameter​ 30MM​​​ ​

Weight​​ 150G​​​​

Positions​ 2040 (9 RESERVED)​ ​

Levels​​ 9

RRP ​​£40 - £70

REVOMAZE STANDARD

Length 105MM

Diameter 50MM

Weight 600G

Positions 1300

Levels 18+

RRP £95 - £300

REVOMAZE Lite provides all the same challenges without the high cost, weight, and size. We are planning to have a range of puzzles again using colour to represent the levels.
  • LEVEL 1​ £40 (5/100) AQUA​​ STATIC ​​ Introductory Level
  • LEVEL 2 ​ £40 ​(10/100) ​BLUE ​​STATIC ​​Easy Level
  • LEVEL 3​ £50 ​ (20/100) ​LIME ​​STATIC ​​ Beginner Level
  • LEVEL 4 ​ £50 ​ (30/100) ​GREEN ​​STATIC ​​ Standard Level
  • LEVEL 5 £60 ​ (40/100) ​FUSHUA ​ STATIC ​​Intermediate Level
  • PILOT​​ £60 ​(45/100) Black ​​ STATIC ​Challenging Level
  • LEVEL 6 ​ £60 ​(50/100) ​RED ​​STATIC ​​Hard Level
  • LEVEL 7​ £70 ​(60/100) ​GOLD ​ Expert Level
  • LEVEL 8​ £70​ (70/100) ​ PURPLE​ Extreme Level

Before committing to the project, we will run a pilot of only 125 puzzles (each will be engraved with a unique number and certificate). After shipping, Rachel will do a survey and collate the reaction to the new puzzle as well as identify if the new puzzle would be recommended to friends, family and others.

Revomaze_lite_3.jpeg
Revomaze_lite_3.jpeg (69.93 KiB) Viewed 11867 times

If you would like to join the program, you will receive a unique code to get 10% off any other REVOMAZE Lite puzzles.

Revomaze_lite_4.png
Revomaze_lite_4.png (536.72 KiB) Viewed 11867 times
Revomaze_lite_vs_standard.jpeg
Revomaze_lite_vs_standard.jpeg (44.92 KiB) Viewed 11867 times

Due to the size, our engineers will be able to make these at a cost-effective price freeing us to continue and complete our VAULTMAZE project.

Revomaze_lite_5.png
Revomaze_lite_5.png (556.56 KiB) Viewed 11867 times
Revomaze_lite_6.jpeg
Revomaze_lite_6.jpeg (61.41 KiB) Viewed 11867 times

If you are interested in joining this project, please click the link below:

​REVOMAZE Lite Pilot Programme (https://www.vaultmaze.uk/product-page/r ... lack-pilot)

Thank you for reading and Rachel and I hope that you will join us on supporting this project and sharing it with your family and friends, we look forward to hearing your thoughts once the pilot has shipped, and we will be working on advertising in the upcoming new year as well as further developments and updates.

We wish you happy holidays and an prosperous New Year.

Very best regards,

Chris
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

I have now created new forums for all (9) new Revomaze Lite puzzles.

Return to “Announcements”