Feedback and pictures from the testers

General Questions.
prodigy

Re: Feedback and pictures from the testers

Post by prodigy »

The updated version has now arrived to the testers and here is the feedback from Crazy:
Hi friends. As a Ruby prototype tester, I wanted to provide an update based on my experience and feedback so far.

Over the past month, I have been working with Revo HQ to provide feedback and design suggestions for Ruby in an attempt to improve upon my previous complaints. I want to applaud Sophia for providing the testers with consistent updates and timely answers to our questions. Furthermore, I want to say that I really appreciate Revo HQ for carefully considering my feedback and suggestions to improve the puzzle experience and difficulty.

Today I solved the new version of Ruby and carefully investigated certain parts of the maze. I have been working with the new puzzle all day today and have just compiled my complete feedback and suggestions and sent it to Revo HQ. I hope to receive a response to my feedback tomorrow.

I received the updated Ruby last week, and within seconds of playing with the puzzle I found myself in a soft-lock situation. The puzzle was completely jammed and I was unable to move more than 1 mm side to side. I had a shiny new paperweight brick. Situations like this are exactly why I believe prototype testing new puzzles is important. After receiving a response from Chris today, I was able to escape with a (destructive and damaging) solution. With this in mind, I then proceeded to solve and open the puzzle.

I will not give a solve time as it is will not be representative of any metric. This is because I was already very familiar with the new maze design.

I can report that I am very excited about the progress Ruby has gone through since the first prototype version. It really does feel like an entirely new puzzle. A puzzle that is truly deserving of a hard difficulty. The new version has a combination of
Spoiler:
challenging dexterity and Think™ing areas
, and I would give it a rating of 90/100 or 95/100 with a big asterisk.

That all being said, there are some areas that require attention in my option. One of them is the jamming issue that I mentioned above. Chris said that this issue has already been addressed, but there are a few new issues that I have reported to Revo HQ that I hope get resolved before final production. I have provided my complete feedback to Revo HQ and will continue to be in communication to do my best to help make this the best puzzle it can be.

In a previous message, zakatak mentioned that this puzzle the testers have received may be the final production version. While this was the original thought, I hope that this is actually not the case. I asked Revo HQ to ship testers an updated version early before sending out production versions so that we would have the chance to test the new design before it is finalized. Revo HQ agreed to send these versions before the rest, so I really hope that the new feedback can be considered.

I understand that the delays are frustrating. However, I have seen monumental improvements with regards to Ruby in the time since and I am hoping that we will think the wait was worth it.
OPEN: AQUA - TURQUOISE - BLUE - GREEN - BRONZE - SILVER - GOLD - INDIGO - TITANIUM - RED - ORANGE - LIME - GUNMETAL - PURPLE - COPPER - MINT - HANDMADE - MERCURY - BLACK - BLACK MERC - SALMON - GREY - SAPPHIRE - EMERALD - RUBY - PEACH
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

Some feedback from zakatak:
I plan on taking my time on this one. No map and no rush. I have only messed with it for a couple minutes, but so far it feels like a whole new Revo.

Spent about 30 min fiddling with the new Ruby. Waiting to hear back from HQ on one thing that I cant tell if it is an issue or a confusing feature. So far it feels like a completely new Revo while keeping all the old stuff I enjoyed so much. Definitely a lot more going on in there and a lot more interesting to explore.
OPEN: AQUA - TURQUOISE - BLUE - GREEN - BRONZE - SILVER - GOLD - INDIGO - TITANIUM - RED - ORANGE - LIME - GUNMETAL - PURPLE - COPPER - MINT - HANDMADE - MERCURY - BLACK - BLACK MERC - SALMON - GREY - SAPPHIRE - EMERALD - RUBY - PEACH
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

More feedback from:
I have spent about 2 hours with Ruby at this point and have discovered some things. Its really hard to say a Revo is good no matter how hard or fun the solve seems to be until you find the solution. Could be a lot of red herrings, could be a lot of good ideas that dont come together very well. So who knows if its a good or great Revo yet.

What I can say is that I am veeeeery curious how something has an impact on the solution. It adds a completely different level of complexity to it. That thing was in the original design, but it didnt feel the same as it does now. It was very straightforward. Now… it’s confusing in a brilliant way. I am honestly LOVING the solve this time around. I feel like its slowly giving little bits of information at a time that change what it is I thought I was doing or needed to do.

Please take this with a grain of salt. I am not mapping. Mapping this will probably make things a lot simpler. I highly suggest not mapping at the start of your solve at least. Be as confused as I am LOL.

I REALLY dont say this lightly. Probably not for the reasons you are expecting, but hot damn, This might be a good one. If I am still saying that after the weekend I think we have a winner.

Return to “Ruby General”