BlackV1 Progress and Help

General Questions and Progress Updates.
RichAE91

Re: Black Progress and Help

Post by RichAE91 »

Got my first revomaze today and made a fair bit of progress so far!
got stuck for a while as i kept entering the maze and returning to the start via a different route without even trigering a trap and all i could find were dead ends but finally figured it out and found a new section but struggling a bit to map this part cause there loads of traps and turns :( hopefully will progress beyond this section soon tho :P
R1
Ex: Br V2 - O
LE: Ti (SE) 08-50 - O

Ex #88:
CE Assembled: Bu - O, Gr - O, Br - O, Ag - O, Au - C, Ti - O
LE: Or - O, LM - O,

Obs: Bl V1 - O, Bl V2 - O, Bu Pro - O

R2 Voyager #88
RichAE91

Post by RichAE91 »

Woohoo Just Solved my first revomaze after several hours of significant frustration i finally managed it yaaay :P

wish you could pull the obsessions apart without breaking them tho would love to analyse the insides :P
R1
Ex: Br V2 - O
LE: Ti (SE) 08-50 - O

Ex #88:
CE Assembled: Bu - O, Gr - O, Br - O, Ag - O, Au - C, Ti - O
LE: Or - O, LM - O,

Obs: Bl V1 - O, Bl V2 - O, Bu Pro - O

R2 Voyager #88
Barcared

Post by Barcared »

RichAE91 wrote:Woohoo Just Solved my first revomaze after several hours of significant frustration i finally managed it yaaay :P

wish you could pull the obsessions apart without breaking them tho would love to analyse the insides :P
Just added you to the black obsession open group so you can have a look at the insides in there.

Have fun! ;)
Trenchx

Post by Trenchx »

Just started Black Obsession. Mapping just got more difficult..going to have to deal with this when I am not so tired. Will do more exploring tomorrow. Excited to get in this new puzzle though.
Blue Obs and Ex - Solved
Green Obs and Ex - Solved
Black Obs - Solved
Bronze Ex - Puzzling
Red Obs and Ex, Silver Ex - Sleeping

Gold Ex and Orange Ex - Preordered
Alimorris

Post by Alimorris »

Black was my favourite Revo for a long time and then it got to share a space with bronze.

The more detailed the map the greater the experience on this one ;)
CE_#111 ordered OR00111 O R00111 O HM04-20 On display LM00111 ;) BL00019 O
BU01111 O GR01111 O BR01111 O AG01111 O AU00111 O TI (SE) 14-50 O Mini O
. PU04
cornettracing80

Post by cornettracing80 »

very fond of black myself....the ending is a Hoot!...wait till you see this core(or map,for extremes)... ;)
The hardest part of a Revomaze is putting it down
BU00080-Solved
GR00080-Solved
BR00080-Solved
AG00080 V1-Solved 1st ever
AU00080-IN PROGRESS
R00080-Solved
Revomaze Obsessions Solved
Blue
Green
Red
Black
hobbit

Post by hobbit »

When I finally finish with Black I'll probably love it. But right now, not so much. Much harder on your hands than the blue and green obsessions were and about a hundred times more... sensitive?
Feel like I was literally a centimeter or two from the finish yesterday and if I find time today - well maybe. But then its back to the Bronze Extreme that I've forced myself to leave alone for a few weeks.
Obsessions:
Blue, Green, and Black - Opened.
Extremes:
Blue, Green, Bronze, Orange - Opened.
Red, Silver, Gold - In-hand.
Trenchx

Post by Trenchx »

Well so far I have had some good quality time with the Black Obsession and I have a few vague observations:

Mapping is more difficult-

I did some mapping and got a chance to see a few artfull things but I decided to take a quick break from mapping it to explore a little.

Tricks versus hand skill - A few tricks in there thus far and I think it has not been to difficult in that dept...yet. I feel at this point most of the challenge has been in consistantly moving where I need to. My reward is progression and cramped hands. I play as I watch TV so I will take a break and rest my hands then go back to working on puzzle. That seems to keep me going with the most attempts. I will then take a break after about 30 -60 minutes and come back to it later with a fresh mind.

Gameplan:

Simply put...progression...I am not looking at the goal but self made checkpoints. If I get to a new one I will decide make this new progression a few times to burn it into my mind(or map if mapping)and then I can put the puzzle away with a smile. If it does not reveal anything I scratch my head and begin tracing my steps. Mapping then is reconcidered and it is done as thoroughly as I can freehand.

Mapping?

When I start getting stumped or something funny is going on I start from the beginning and map it all. It is usually one graph paper square = one pin size.

Thats about it. So far I feel I have at least gotten halfway through it (although I am leaning on past halfway)

I am enjoying it so far :)
Blue Obs and Ex - Solved
Black Obs - Solved
Bronze Ex - Puzzling

hobbit

Post by hobbit »

Mapping? If I started mapping at this point it would completely screw things up for me. Although I've always KNOWN the design of a revomaze is a pin on the outer shell and the maze actually cut into shaft - in my mind I see and work them the other way - as if the pin were in the shaft and the maze on the outer shell.
The blue and green obsessions were fairly simple up to the (IMHO) single tricky part in each one. Then fairly simple after that part was overcome. The black obsession was fairly simple for about 2 centimeters and then a succession of tricky parts, each one a victory earned over several days. After passing each of these challenges I keep expecting a relatively simple part to take me to the end but keep getting surprised. I reached what I was certain would be the end on Saturday only to find that it wasn't :shock: AGAIN!
If you're any good at web searches you already know what the big secret is about the design of this maze - but that doesn't help solve it since you won't know where the traps are.
In the interest of eating and keeping a roof over my head I'll be too busy this week to spend much time on it, but I'm taking a vacation for two weeks after this...the strange thing is that the main reason I want to finish this one is so I can go back to working on the bronze extreme without feeling like something was skipped. Is that weird?
Obsessions:
Blue, Green, and Black - Opened.
Extremes:
Blue, Green, Bronze, Orange - Opened.
Red, Silver, Gold - In-hand.
Trenchx

Post by Trenchx »

hobbit wrote:Mapping? If I started mapping at this point it would completely screw things up for me. Although I've always KNOWN the design of a revomaze is a pin on the outer shell and the maze actually cut into shaft - in my mind I see and work them the other way - as if the pin were in the shaft and the maze on the outer shell.
The blue and green obsessions were fairly simple up to the (IMHO) single tricky part in each one. Then fairly simple after that part was overcome. The black obsession was fairly simple for about 2 centimeters and then a succession of tricky parts, each one a victory earned over several days. After passing each of these challenges I keep expecting a relatively simple part to take me to the end but keep getting surprised. I reached what I was certain would be the end on Saturday only to find that it wasn't :shock: AGAIN!
If you're any good at web searches you already know what the big secret is about the design of this maze - but that doesn't help solve it since you won't know where the traps are.
In the interest of eating and keeping a roof over my head I'll be too busy this week to spend much time on it, but I'm taking a vacation for two weeks after this...the strange thing is that the main reason I want to finish this one is so I can go back to working on the bronze extreme without feeling like something was skipped. Is that weird?
The only thing (other then the art) that I am worrying about by not mapping is missing crucial dead spots I may have missed that I could not capture in my mind. The problem is your mind can usually map how the maze appears in your head for areas *traveled* but it is difficult to get the whole picture and in trouble doing that you miss spots that are hiding out. Also..anyone who has done the green could most likely solve it without mapping but I strongly believe that without the maping there would have been way more time added to my solve time.

I am currently exploring and keeping things in my mind at the moment but if I start running into a wall long enough I will resign myself to starting the mapping from start to finish. I do have a good idea of what the art is though. First part of the mapping hinted at it and a later trap pretty much comfirmed it.

Before bed last night I was able to put another 30-40 min on the Black Obsession and I have been able to increase my success rate on navigating to my progression spot. I believe this was important because I can start working on my new trouble spot more more quickly which will help in memory in navigating them.

May have some time tonight to work on it.
Blue Obs and Ex - Solved
Black Obs - Solved
Bronze Ex - Puzzling

Return to “Black Obsession General”