Day one. Thumb cramp!!!

General Questions and Progress Updates.
teach42

Day one. Thumb cramp!!!

Post by teach42 »

Decided to take the plunge and picked up a blue obsession. And yes, I'm obsessed already. Enough that my fingers are aching and I have to keep taking breaks! But it sits there on the desk, mocking me, begging me to pick it up and give it another twist....

I've never done a puzzle like this before, so this is a totally new experience for me. I think I'm at the point others have alluded to here a few times. A long trench with three exits, none of which seem to work. Stuck, but not to the point of giving up, not by a long shot.

So hypthetically... if I really enjoy this thing and want to get another.... What do you suggest? Should I stick with plastic? Switch to metal?

And what are my odds of flying with them? I travel a ton and this would be a great way to pass the time.
TheWaddler

Re: Day one. Thumb cramp!!!

Post by TheWaddler »

Hello and welcome to the mad house ..... I mean fun house ...... or both :D :twisted: :lol:

You seem to be at the common impedance of the blue, but you are wise not to give up. Are you mapping?? Either way, you'd be wise to not only map the paths, but also the trenches aka. traps, as they are just as important, if not more, as the paths themselves.

As for the path of progression after the Blue, naturally you'd be lead to the Green, then Bronze, possibly the Orange, then Silver, Gold and if you're really keen, the Lime. Once you get one, if you're like me, you'll eventually want them all!!! :D :? Plastic or metal, doesn't really matter, although some/most you can only get in the metal Extreme version, due to their internals.

Flying with them?? They fly pretty good but I wouldn't recommend it as they don't land too good :P :lol:

Metal Extreme Revos won't go down well with airport security, as they look too much like hand grenades. Obsession versions, I cannot say. Potentially there shouldn't be a problem as they won't attract as much attention as the Extremes but I can't say for certain. Maybe someone else has some experience on the matter.
The Waddler's Puzzling Blog

--R1 Collection--
Open:
[BU01099][GR01556][BR00471][OR00149][R00019][TI00045][BlobV2][BluePro]
In Progress:
[CU00042]
Unopened:
[AG00185][AU00145][LI00149]
Ordered:
Aqua
Indigo
--R2 Cosmic Series (Voyager Set #42)--
Still Waiting:
Mercury
teach42

Post by teach42 »

*sighs*

Speaking of flying...

I was walking to my car and trying to work out that section. And you can guess what happened next :( :( :( :(

Slipped out of my hand, fell to the ground... and is semi-broken.

I'm heartbroken. The cylinder still turns, but from 'home', it doesn't turn a full 360 degrees. Only about 270. And doesn't get to the actual start of the maze like it used to.

Here's the weird thing though. There's a little bit of give at one point. Enough that with just a little pressure, or a very light tap, it clicks in to what I initially thought was the beginning of the maze. However, I have since realized, that I'm jumping in right at the 'impedance' part I was stuck on. If I get to a trap there, it goes back to home, but still won't rotate 360 degrees or to a point where I can enter at the beginning of the maze. The only place I can jump in is right at the 'impedance'. Oddly, I can go backwards through the maze. But haven't tried to go far enough to see what happens if I go all the way back to the beginning. May try that next.

Any suggestions? I've seen threads mentioning a freezer trick?? Any other suggestions for how to get it back to normal???

I'm so bummed I can't even tell you.

Thanks for any help.

Steve
Naz737

Post by Naz737 »

I'd say best thing to do is to contact Joseph Nixon (joseph.nixon@revomaze.co.uk) and CC: Chris Pitt (chris.pitt@revomaze.co.uk) to see what can be done. I could speculate but best to talk to the man himself. Chances are you'd hear back from Joseph sooner (customer service rep and all).

Certainly sorry to hear, Steve. :cry:
R2 Voyager 073, O: Mercury
R1, O: BU, GR, BR, AG, AU, Series Code, PU,
R1 Obs, O: BU Obs, BU Obs Pro, GR Obs, BL Obs V1, BL Obs V2, R Obs,
R1 Limited, O: BL, HM, R, OR, LM, TI, GM, Mini, CU
Paid: Eris, Makemake, Venus, Earth
teach42

Post by teach42 »

My own stoopid fault. Just couldn't put it down!!

And all I keep thinking right now is "Wait for help... Or try to get past this section so long as I'm there". :)
bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k »

TheWaddler wrote:...Metal Extreme Revos won't go down well with airport security, as they look too much like hand grenades. Obsession versions, I cannot say. Potentially there shouldn't be a problem as they won't attract as much attention as the Extremes but I can't say for certain. Maybe someone else has some experience on the matter.
I know of at least one case where Obsessions have caused issues going through airport security. It's the fact that it looks like a grenade, you can't open it to prove what it is because you probably haven't solved it, and it has a tendency to suddenly make an ominous 'click' noise when security inspect it. Unless you want the extra attention, delay, and possible internal examination, I wouldn't bother.
teach42 wrote:...Oddly, I can go backwards through the maze. But haven't tried to go far enough to see what happens if I go all the way back to the beginning. May try that next.

Any suggestions? I've seen threads mentioning a freezer trick?? Any other suggestions for how to get it back to normal???
If you can get into the maze through some other means and you can figure out where you are then I'd just continue to try to solve it. My guess is that when you dropped it a wall was smashed through. This will result in the path behind being blocked and a new entrance being made if you're lucky. Assuming its one of the newer obsessions with the removable core, when you solve it, you can try to repair the broken wall.

The freezer trick, in my opinion, is at best a placebo. It certainly won't do anything useful on a plastic maze. Indeed, I suspect that all it might do is dislodge the broken chunk, which may result in the path being freed enough for it to be used normally, or it'll block all paths and that'll be that.

You can try to contact Chris or Joseph, as Naz suggested. However, the maze will either be solvable (therefore, you could also solve it) or it'll be totally dead, in which case there's not a lot they can do. So if you can get back into the maze, I'd at least continue trying to solve it.

Also, where are you? ie. are you near anyone else here that could take a look at it for you?
Puzzle wiki:
Puzzle Place
|11SE: BUopenGRopenBRopenAGv1deadAGv2repairAUwaitingTIopen
11LE: BLopenRopenORopenHMrepairLMPU
25: BUopenGRopenBRopenAGv1openAGv2openAUopen
Ob: BUopenGRopenBLopenBLv2openRD
Minirepair
1st to open a ReVoMaze
teach42

Post by teach42 »

I'm in Chicago. Dunno if there's any other Revo-geeks in the area, but if so I'd be happy to drive out to them.

Sounds like a good suggestion to me. Ironically, the only entry point is the place where I was stuck, so it'll definitely save me some time in terms of falling into a trench and getting back to this point :) Just hope that I'm able to progress and eventually fix it!

I did contact Revo through the form and they offered to replace it for me if I ship it back to them (mad props), so I may take them up on that. Will likely decide by the end of the day after giving it a shot from where I'm at.

Thanks for the empathy and advice for my dumb mistake ;)
teach42

Post by teach42 »

I DID IT!!

:D :D :D :D

Decided to just keep plowing through at that point. Once I finally figured out the trick to that spot, I just kept poking away until I figured it out.

I tell you, after seeing the cylinder, I finally understand why so many people have said that the trenches are your best friend. I never made a map, just did it all by feel, but not it all makes sense and I realize why the map may have made life much easier.

After getting the cylinder out, I discovered that the only part that was broken was the wall leading into 'that part'. A little piece snapped off and got stuck in the home trench. Ironically, it prevented me from starting at the beginning of the maze anymore, and gave me an easy entry point into 'that part'.

Best. Break. Ever.

I have the little piece of plastic and think i can just superglue it back on to repair the wall. Or I may just leave it. If you don't know that the break is there, it won't be an obvious entry point. And won't detract from the revomaze at all.

Now the only question is... how long can I resist buying the next :)
halfbake69

Post by halfbake69 »

1 week might be long lets say a few days and you WILL buy more and more and more :P
OPENED AND RESOLD : EX : BlueV2 GreenV2 BronzeV2 BronzeV1 Silver Orange Gold Lime Red Titanium Gunmetal Copper indigo mint Aqua OBS : Blue Bluepro BlackV2 BlackV1 Mini : blue R2: mercury
teach42

Post by teach42 »

Just bought a bronze off of eBay. If this one turns out to be as enjoyable, I think I'm going to start investing in the full set ;)

Return to “Blue Obsession General”