To map or not to map?

General Questions
Breeze

To map or not to map?

Post by Breeze »

So...

I am 1h 32mins into my blue solve. I am using a stopwatch as I thought it would be interesting to know how long it takes me to solve first time around. I have made it beyond the halfway point a couple of times but haven't got that section down yet... at least I assume it's half way, maybe I am closer to the end than I think; I hope not, I am having too much fun!

I haven't done any external mapping yet and my instinct is to carry on without doing so. I suppose I would like to know if I am missing out on some important mapping practice by avoiding it at this stage and what people recommend. Will commiting my mental map into paper provide me with better learning for my future solves?

Thoughts anyone?
BU02236 - Solved!!! 2h 4mins
GunMetal - Working...
Indigo - Working...
Bronze - Not started yet
stet

Re: To map or not to map?

Post by stet »

I always try to do solve these without drawing a map as I prefer to use my imagination to picture what is going on. On some of the more difficult ones I eventually gave up and drew the map though those haven't always helped me as I still have a couple that I have mostly complete maps drawn but are still unsolved.

The ones that I have solved without maps are: Blue, Green, Bronze, Black, Red, Aqua, Indigo, Purple.

I am currently working on Gunmetal without a map.

The ones that I have started mapping but are still unsolved are: Orange, Copper.

I have many in my collection that I haven't gotten far with yet, with or without a map...
Needs to be updated!
SE #05:
BU Solved GR Solved BR Solved AG(V1) Not Solved AG(V2) Solved AU Won't Be Solved TI Missed
LE #05:
BL Solved RD Solved OR Not Solved HM Not Solved LI Ordered
Gold Plated CE #05:
BU Ordered GR Ordered BR Ordered AG Ordered AU Ordered TI Ordered
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

Hooray!

Solved my blue this morning... What a magnificent thing!

Took me a little over 2 hours but haven't quite managed to put it back together yet. Seeing the core really shows the genius of it!

Utterly brilliant!
GunMetal - Working...
Indigo - Working...
Bronze - Not started yet
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

Breeze wrote:I haven't done any external mapping yet and my instinct is to carry on without doing so. I suppose I would like to know if I am missing out on some important mapping practice by avoiding it at this stage and what people recommend. Will commiting my mental map into paper provide me with better learning for my future solves?

Thoughts anyone?
I think the best part of solving a Revomaze and also really fun is to map the maze. I enjoy each maze more this way and an easy maze takes a little bit longer to solve if you try to map 100% of the maze before you open it up, so I never rush to solve the maze as fast as possible but I have a lot of fun. I also like to study the maps after the maze is solved :D
OPEN: AQUA - TURQUOISE - BLUE - GREEN - BRONZE - SILVER - GOLD - INDIGO - TITANIUM - RED - ORANGE - LIME - GUNMETAL - PURPLE - COPPER - MINT - HANDMADE - MERCURY - BLACK - BLACK MERC - SALMON - GREY - SAPPHIRE - EMERALD - RUBY - PEACH
dutch _puzzler

Post by dutch _puzzler »

For me mapping is the extra fun part in trying to solve the maze.
My first maze was aqua and tried to map that one too although a lot of people don't map the easy mazes I see it as practice.
I am sure I will need it with the more difficult mazes.
best
dennis
AQ00095 :D BU01174 :D
GR01932 :D BR02232 :D

Gunmetal :? MT01023 :?
OR00029 :?
IN00234 :?
Brian706

Post by Brian706 »

Breeze wrote:Hooray!

Took me a little over 2 hours but haven't quite managed to put it back together yet. Seeing the core really shows the genius of it!

Utterly brilliant!
Congrats!! That's a lot faster than I did it. What maze are you looking at next?
OPENED: AQ BU GR
CLOSED: BR CU IN GM R MT SA TI AU AG
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

Brian706 wrote:
Breeze wrote:Hooray!

Utterly brilliant!
Congrats!! That's a lot faster than I did it. What maze are you looking at next?

It seems that a l Bronze would of be he next logical step but I would be keen to go for a gunmetal, silver or Lime... I like a challenge!
GunMetal - Working...
Indigo - Working...
Bronze - Not started yet
nick

Post by nick »

lol after blue the next logical step is green !!!
Luke1705

Post by Luke1705 »

Breeze wrote:
It seems that a l Bronze would of be the next logical step but I would be keen to go for a gunmetal, silver or Lime... I like a challenge!
Here's to hoping that they make more Limes....or some just magically show up. Thankfully, I know there are enough silvers floating around to get a hold of one eventually...but I should probably solve the ones I have first! :D
Coloradobluesguy

Post by Coloradobluesguy »

I went only by memory with my aqua only because I’m trying to think of a way to draw out a map.
AQ-01128-SOLVED
BU-07001-SOLVED
TQ-00223-In Progress
GR-07001-SOLVED
Mint MT-0150-Solved
BR07001-In Progress
Indigo-Ordered/Arrived
Gunmetal-Ordered/Arrived
Copper-Ordered/Arrived
Silver-
Handmade
Lime