Mint - First thoughts and review

General Questions
darctangent

Re: Mint - First thoughts and review

Post by darctangent »

Hmm, that’s not usual. You could send those pictures to Phil, if you want.
CE 105 BU CE 105 GR CE 105 BR CE 105 AG CE 105 AU CE 105 TI AQ00105 MT105
PU01 BL00LE HM12LE R00105 OR00105 LI00105 GM 105 CU00105 IN00105
jason

Post by jason »

So here are pictures from the unboxing.

Last edited by jason on Tue May 22, 2018 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
jason

Post by jason »

I thought at first I would be able to complete the puzzle without a map, but after falling into too many traps and realizing my memory is not too great, decided to create a map. I really didn't know how to do this. What I ended up doing is printing 1mm graph paper. The up and down movement is to scale and is measured with a digital caliper. The left to right was given 10mm for each side of the bolt, for a total of 70mm.

My map ended up with several mistakes because sometimes the reset switch on the caliper would be pressed by accident when open. Only after exploring did I realize this error and the wild inaccuracies on my map. This happened several times and I got into the habit of resetting them every time I picked them up. Tired of measuring everything, I mapped part of the serial number onto my map to use as a reference point. What i think is the correct path is in blue and the reset lines are in red.

I've been stumped many times and there is a rush when a new area is discovered. When my hands were tired I would look at the map and try to figure out where I needed to be and how I could possibly get there. When stumped again I would just hug the walls of the entire maze. I'm pretty far into the maze now. Unfortunately there is some sort of malfunction in my maze and I sent it back to Chris who is sending a replacement.

There was another surprise I discovered when mapping which I'll post about in the Open forum when I finally solve the maze.

Several times I think the puzzle is impossible and I've explored everything. I wonder what the relevance of the pathways are. This has happened about a half dozen times and I always find a way to a new area eventually. I had a major breakthrough just by studying the map late at night. It was a very exciting moment as I knew where I had to go. Unfortunately my hands were too tired to try. I was almost certain what I thought of was correct and couldn't wait to try in the morning. I slowly navigated, held my breath and very slowly and carefully started to move, about 1 mm then measured for my map, then another mm and measured, the another and another then I looked at my map and I was thrilled to find out I was right!

This a great puzzle and is very fun. The design is well thought out to give a feeling of progression, followed by a problem, then a breakthrough, then another problem or dead end, then another breakthrough, etc. It's almost become like an obsession, as I can't wait to complete the puzzle and see the core and see if it matches my mental image and map.

Without the trainer, I would not be as far as I am as it allows me to quickly navigate to the parts I am having trouble with. Then I take the trainer off. It was able to easily slip on and off for a while. But now it's more relaxed and I've added a bolt to it to allow it to grip a little tighter but still be easily and quickly removed. For areas where precision is needed I take the trainer off.

The puzzle is hard on the hands if you don't take breaks like you're supposed to. The puzzle is too addicting to take breaks however and breaks are avoided. However, my piano playing as improved as a result. This is a great puzzle for problem solvers with a lot of patience and time on their hands.
ghxost

Post by ghxost »

Mine have that rainbow effect with the lines on the shaft too. Doesn't seem to affect anything though, sometimes a little vibration at the right angles. Maybe different machinery now?

The memory only method is tough. I'm finding a lot of drawbacks to it but I'm not relenting yet. Everyone needs to find a way that suits them best :)

Glad you are enjoying it!
Seeking:
Black extreme (not merc), Red (extreme), Ruby, Peach
Ramisi5, devil isis, devil copernisis (or other harder variants)

Return to “Mint General”