Production Mint - Frustrating in a Bad Way

General Questions
CzMeteo

Production Mint - Frustrating in a Bad Way

Post by CzMeteo »

This post compares the differences between the prototype/handmade mint and the production mint.

To answer some common questions, the two mazes are different aesthetically, in maze design, and also in dimensions.

Appearance
The handmade mint has a pebble blasted sleeve giving it a beautiful and unique matte sheen that no other puzzle has. The production mint has the traditional anodized sleeve. This effect also results in a different color in appearance. Furthermore, the handmade mint shaft is unplated and follows the numbering scheme MT XX-30.

Maze Design
The maze design in the handmade mint is different than the production mint. The change is small, and if you are able to solve the handmade mint, you will be able to solve the production mint. The change presents a small difficulty increase, making the production mint slightly more difficult.

Dimensions
This is the part that is incredibly frustrating. The length of the shaft of the production mint is smaller than other Revomazes. The shaft on the production mint is about a millimeter smaller on each side. While this may not sound like much, it feels like the difference between hanging off a ledge with a full grip compared to your finger nails. Furthermore, since the production mint is plated, the corners of the heptagon (7 sided polygon) are smoother causing a weakened grip. Combined, these small changes cause great difficulty navigating the maze, especially in tight corners near the main reset ring. Included is a picture that shows the differences between the two mazes. The handmade puzzle parts are on the left. The production parts are on the right.

You can also see that the drawbars are different sizes to accommodate the different shaft sizes. The outer sleeve is the same dimensions as all of the other puzzles.

The Pins
The final task of any Revomaze is to drop the pins into the drawbar to extract the shaft. Typically, the puzzle only needs a slight tap upside to properly drop the pin. This puzzle is different. The pins in this puzzle are incredibly frustrating. First of all, it took me three minutes of banging the puzzle on multiple different surfaces before I finally got the pin to drop. Flat carpet seemed to work best. (Please don't tell me I was doing this wrong. I know which way to orient the puzzle to drop the pin.) However, that was only the beginning. Normally when you remove the shaft, it is easy for the pins to fall out of the drawbar so that you can remove the draw bar. These pins did not want to come out.

Perhaps the pins are slightly thicker, or the grooves cut for them are smaller. Or perhaps there was just some oil keeping them in place. Regardless, removing the pins was a challenge more difficult that solving the puzzle. After tapping the puzzle gently on multiple surfaces with no success, I resorted to other measures. The maze pin was successfully removed by haggling it with a pair of scissors. The drawbar pin was much more of a pain. Since it is protected on all sides by the shaft, it is hard to remove surgically. Magnets did not work. Tweezers did not work. I had to use an adhesive to pull the pin out to finally disassemble the puzzle.

The problems with the dimensions and the pins make this puzzle more frustrating than other Revomazes. On a positive note, the maze is very well designed and perhaps one of my favorite mazes.

Kirk2000

Re: Production Mint - Frustrating in a Bad Way

Post by Kirk2000 »

Thanks for the review. Do you have one of the 3D training aids? If you do I would guess that it would fall off the end of the shaft since the shaft end is a smaller size. That training aid had saved me a lot of wrist pain. Everyone should buy one when the order their Revos.. KIRK
KIRK
Voyager #26
Looking for a BLACK Revo. PM me if you want to sell yours.
tgr

Post by tgr »

My production version of the mint arrived yesterday. I didn't spend a lot of time time with it, but the first impression using it with a 3D training aid was as expexted. The training aid fits snugly over the hetagon and navigation was quite easy. Frankly, I did not notice that the production version is shorter than the handmade.
BU02248 Open
GR01925 Open
BR02212 Open
IN00096 Working
MT00022 Working
TheWaveCarver

Post by TheWaveCarver »

Is the sleeve shorter? It appears as though it may be slightly shorter... Maybe Chris is reducing overall puzzle length.
Grand Champion in Rocket League
ReVoMaster
Site Admin

Post by ReVoMaster »

Many thanks for your excellent review. I have taken on board what you have said as it was suggested to make the maze slightly shorter, so after this we can do a pole to see if the original or shorter lengths should be used.

The production mints are made here before my new machine was up and running, which will be making them in the future. The pin and the maze draw bar hole are too close so I may have to use a 1/8" drill (the one on the mint was 3mm) so to help ensure the pin drops OK.

This is very useful information as I want to ensure we get the best design for the future. Over the course of the year, I will be able to run various small part changes to see if people like it.

My machine limitation is the Y axis - so some alternatives may be needed that could be better - but the best way is to send out for people to try.

Thanks again....

Chris
ReVoMaster
ReVoMaster
Site Admin

Post by ReVoMaster »

Kirk2000 wrote:Thanks for the review. Do you have one of the 3D training aids? If you do I would guess that it would fall off the end of the shaft since the shaft end is a smaller size. That training aid had saved me a lot of wrist pain. Everyone should buy one when the order their Revos.. KIRK
The TA still works, it is just shorter to be like Revomaze 1 (that CZMeteo has). The sleeve is the same size as the prototypes.

The plating is thicker (and why I had to redo the internal part) that also does not help the Maze Pin hole and Drawbar Pin Hole.

Best

Chris
ReVoMaster
rodrigue10

Post by rodrigue10 »

I noticed the shorter length right away as well. I did some measurements even... :) The Mint Handmade measured in at 9.4mm on the flat part only. Both ends were about the same measurement.

The production mint had differences in lengths for either end. THe "Left" end was 8.2mm and the "Right" end is 7.9mm on mine. The difference doesn't seem like much but i prefer the longer end...that extra 1-1.5mm goes a long way when playing with these without a training aid.
OP- CE Set #22 BU GR BR TI R BL OR Obs Set V2 Set AG AU LM mini GM HM CU AQ MT IN PU SM
CL-

R2 - Voyager #25:
OP - Prototype 1
CL - ♀ ♁ ♂ ⚳ ♃ ♄ ♅ ♆ ♇ Eris, Makemake
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

I had no problems at all with the pin. It jumped out on my first knock on the finish line. I agree that the difference of the ends and that it is hard to grip without a training aid.

I think there were more changes than I thought but I am surprised that some parts wasn't changed.
OPEN: AQUA - TURQUOISE - BLUE - GREEN - BRONZE - SILVER - GOLD - INDIGO - TITANIUM - RED - ORANGE - LIME - GUNMETAL - PURPLE - COPPER - MINT - HANDMADE - MERCURY - BLACK - BLACK MERC - SALMON - GREY - SAPPHIRE - EMERALD - RUBY - PEACH

Return to “Mint General”