R2 Limited Editions

General Questions and Progress Updates.
ReVoRabbit

Re: R2 Limited Editions

Post by ReVoRabbit »

redlaymerej wrote:I am a college student and have budgeted money for 3 puzzles a year. There is no way that I could pay $800 for two puzzles...
I've never not received an item I've purchased from Chris, so this isn't about a preorder complaint. I don't mind waiting... but I just spent the $ to purchase my 3 puzzles for the year. Had I realized there were going to be 5 puzzles, I would have budgeted my $ differently. Besides, whats the point of buying voyager, if you cant buy the voyager puzzles?
Last edited by ReVoRabbit on Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OWNER OF REVOMAZE Set 20
Since February 18 2009
Extreme
BU GR BR AG au pu BL R HM OR TI lm AQ
TQ MT IN CU GM sa GY BKM SP EM ru
PE
v2: BU GR BR Marbles: Brain Store MINI CE
Obsession
Black Body: BU GR R BL
Colored Body: BU GR R BL
Black v2: BUpro GR BL
Prototypes
BU Obs
Mint Peach
Jupiter
Dorothea

Post by Dorothea »

There have always been limited puzzles (popplock, strijbos, roger, berrocal) and there is no need to produce every puzzle in the world in umlimited editions.
BUGRBRAGAUTIPUORLMRBL1BL2GMCUAQINMTTQSAGY
waiting: lite
Killerkel

Post by Killerkel »

I have one of the first R2, and it has not turned me on to be honest.

How many have been opened todate?

I'm thinking of letting it go...any offers? Can I sell my voyage status too?

I really hate the preorder system.....although I have always got what I ordered from Chris.

I have said this many times before, why can't you sell what you have in stock and not what you are going to make in a couple of years time.

I'm looking forward to Pyropuzzles.
a-maze-ing

Post by a-maze-ing »

A great chance to get something even more special than the voyager status. Pricey, but Rare and therefore worth the money I think. Looking at the shop this page is visible for me, but i am no voyager... if it is still visible tomorrow then i am going to buy them 1ST thing in the morning!
ReVoRabbit

Post by ReVoRabbit »

Killerkel wrote:I have said this many times before, why can't you sell what you have in stock and not what you are going to make in a couple of years time.
selling an item before its manufactured makes complete sense to me. years ahead... okay maybe not. but to sell an item and then deliver it 6 months later... its a concept indigogo and kickstarter have thrived on for years.
OWNER OF REVOMAZE Set 20
Since February 18 2009
Extreme
PE
Obsession
Prototypes
BU Obs
Mint Peach
Jupiter
Chyron

Post by Chyron »

Wil has done a decent job, with me at least, explaining why some of his puzzles are limited. If I had a box to stand on in a Popplock forum I'd make the same complaint. I'd buy parts of his collection from him if offered. I don't believe I've been introduced to Roger yet. Berrocal is deceased and from what I understand used a rather unique method of construction/forging/designing that isn't easily replicated.

I haven't received such explanation from RevoHQ on why anything other than the Hand Made and....one of the Black R1's, are hard-limited as they are (ONLY x number will be made, regardless if there's a number of people interested in more) A price can and should be set to cover the expenses of re-issuing a production run. Sure retire them when it's time to move on, as I believe has occurred with R1's. It hardly mattered though, The normal R1 runs were mostly dried up in the past year.

It's in my best interest that as many people who want to buy one of these is able to buy one of these. It's gimmicks like these that make me wonder how the company is afloat. I'm afraid for the next time one of these comes around, because I have no reason to believe it won't. Haumea has been referenced before. Is it going to be the next "Jewel" of the collection? Will it be so 'limited' that even my thinking about it and planning for it now won't be enough to guarantee it a spot in my collection?

As far as I've seen, it's not a hobby for RevoHQ, it's their income. They've given away a ton of stuff as opposed to selling it. It doesn't matter who I tell about Revomazes right now, they're incapable of getting into it for an indeterminate amount of time. That means they can't be a part of RevoHQ's paychecks, only me and 99 others on this planet can. I don't want two new 'limited' puzzles to come out every few months that literally feels just as much like you're giving a monetary injection to the company as it does you're getting a new puzzle. I can respect that it's their decision to do so but that doesn't mean I can't explain that I think it's a bad idea.

Every production run of everything has been limited by some factor. What's the reason here? Limit it by saying it's exclusive Jet Black/Gold, Anodize it differently and sell it to a larger crowd. Keep the puzzle design.
Chyron wrote:Sometimes I get the feeling that someone goes around hiding old Puzzles in RevoHQ.
Killerkel

Post by Killerkel »

but to sell an item and then deliver it 6 months later.
Ok so when did you order your mercury ?
Anyone more than a year so far?
Oh only 20 have them.

Don't think you are going to get your Limit editions anytime soon.
But like I have said before Chris has always delivered what I have ordered from him.

So would I paid £250 of a limited edition Yes, am I prepared to wait over a year for it then it's No.

I am going to give it a miss, unless Chris can give me a guarantee that it will be delivered before September 2014.
03SVTCobra

Post by 03SVTCobra »

Dorothea wrote:There have always been limited puzzles (popplock, strijbos, roger, berrocal) and there is no need to produce every puzzle in the world in umlimited editions.
Yes and they all don't take money until they are ready to ship!
BU00060 :) GR00060 :) BR00060 :) AG00060 :) AU00060 :)
R00060 :) OR00060 :) LM00060 :) TI00030 :) CU00060 :) AQ00060 :) IN00060 :)
MT00060 :) TQ00060 :)GM :) HM :)
Blue Obs :) Green Obs :) Black Obs :) Black Obs V2 :) Red Obs :|
ReVoRabbit

Post by ReVoRabbit »

Chyron & Killerkel both make solid arguments. I don't think we will see the LE's/SE's any time soon. I'm not sure we've had to wait more than 6 months for a puzzle, but maybe we have. If you are "that into" this series, then i don't think you'll mind waiting.

I believe these puzzles are for those who desire to help the community as a whole. I'm just disappointed that the likelihood of me continuing to support that has come to an end.
Last edited by ReVoRabbit on Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
OWNER OF REVOMAZE Set 20
Since February 18 2009
Extreme
PE
Obsession
Prototypes
BU Obs
Mint Peach
Jupiter
BBloke

Post by BBloke »

I think the timing sucks and my first impression was that these were the 2 specials which form part of the voyager status. From reading the status page they are not.

I'm happy with the intended puzzles within voyager as these two lovely creations are way outside my pocket size unless I'm a very very good boy and I work my tatters off for the next two years. By then I'm sure the twenty have been snapped up by those whom better desire them. Sigh! Oh well at least my pipe dream has a pipe in it. :)
BBloke

Pro Level 3 - BLopen | BL #1580 open
Open #100: AQ | BL | GR | BR | AG | GU | TI | OR | CU | IN | LI | MN
Closed: AU | GY | SA
Ordered: RU
R2 Voyager #100: Mercury 1st Batch (open) | Venus pre-ordered

Return to “Makemake & Eris General”