Revomaze R2 Prototype (As seen in Wired)

General Questions and Progress Updates.
stet

Re: Revomaze R2 Prototype (As seen in Wired)

Post by stet »

I also don't agree with them changing the rules (something that has happened way too many times here). Someone will have won on the originally intended drawing and that person will be and should be upset at everyone who wanted the drawing moved.

As far as waiting for your next pay day, that's what credit cards are for!
Needs to be updated!
SE #05:
BU Solved GR Solved BR Solved AG(V1) Not Solved AG(V2) Solved AU Won't Be Solved TI Missed
LE #05:
BL Solved RD Solved OR Not Solved HM Not Solved LI Ordered
Gold Plated CE #05:
BU Ordered GR Ordered BR Ordered AG Ordered AU Ordered TI Ordered
Chyron

Post by Chyron »

stet wrote:As far as waiting for your next pay day, that's what credit cards are for!
Remember stet -- a large number of these folks are not American's with Credit Card debt!

I'm not one of them >_<

And yeah.. I was a bit disappointed to hear that the drawing was postponed. I'm a bit of a stickler for not changing things after people have invested their time (and especially money) into it. There's only one way for this to play out where nobody can argue, and that is if Wednesday, and Saturday's bonus balls are identical. Only 2.04% chance of that happening.

What are the chances that for future contests / lottos they be developed, maintained, and ran by an external entity?
Chyron wrote:Sometimes I get the feeling that someone goes around hiding old Puzzles in RevoHQ.
mattangel

Post by mattangel »

.... :roll:

Your chances are exactly the same of winning on Saturday as they are on Wednesday. MAYBE you'll hit on Saturday, but not Wednesday! You won't be complaining then, will you? Let's hope that if that happens, the lotto will have been switched back to Wednesday because of all of this complaining.
stet

Post by stet »

Chyron wrote:
stet wrote:As far as waiting for your next pay day, that's what credit cards are for!
Remember stet -- a large number of these folks are not American's with Credit Card debt!

I'm not one of them >_<
I'm not one of them either but I do use a credit card for all online purchases and pay it off every month. It is actually the smartest way to make online purchases as you get an extra level of protection against problems.

So the bottom line here is that someone who would not have won on the originally planned day and does win on the new day will be very happy (it could be me, it could be anyone) while someone who would have won on the original day and doesn't win in the new one will be very upset (unless the same number comes up both days).

I still think this is one of these things that should not have been changed once originally planned. But now that it has been changed you can't change it back as that will still end up upsetting someone in a reverse situation from what I stated above.
Needs to be updated!
SE #05:
BU Solved GR Solved BR Solved AG(V1) Not Solved AG(V2) Solved AU Won't Be Solved TI Missed
LE #05:
BL Solved RD Solved OR Not Solved HM Not Solved LI Ordered
Gold Plated CE #05:
BU Ordered GR Ordered BR Ordered AG Ordered AU Ordered TI Ordered
BBloke

Post by BBloke »

I call it Schrodinger's cat. It's a quandry that'll make your head explode if you think about it too long.
BBloke

Pro Level 3 - BLopen | BL #1580 open
Open #100: AQ | BL | GR | BR | AG | GU | TI | OR | CU | IN | LI | MN
Closed: AU | GY | SA
Ordered: RU
R2 Voyager #100: Mercury 1st Batch (open) | Venus pre-ordered
Chyron

Post by Chyron »

I agree that my odds of winning on Saturday are exactly the same as Wednesday. I also agree it's better for all of us that Revo HQ gets a greater investment out of this by extending the deadline.

Delaying it doesn't benefit me, however, as a pre-existing customer. In all effects, it's money that is no longer gaining interest in my bank or being invested in other locations.

I don't argue that it's not personally negligible for those purposes, but to pretend the effects don't exist is lying to yourself.

I also want to point out that I don't have any ill feelings towards those asking for the change in the contest.. It was simply a short sighted promotion.

As I said before when asking about the phrasing in the comment about the credit towards your next Revomaze purchase, It's the little details that can make all the difference.

The values of the lotteries are posted publicly. It's not a one-time event, it occurs on a set schedule.

There should have been a set deadline to purchase a ticket. It could be inferred that the deadline would be the time of the lotto, but that's not always the best idea. Administratively it's best to have some time between the end of the purchase period and the time of the drawing. A set deadline would mean the pre-established milestone of a drawing would be maintained.

Once all tickets are sold this event becomes a raffle. If all tickets are sold prior to the drawing on Wednesday there's not really an odds problem. There's only an opportunity problem. RevoHQ cannot stop the national lottery from occurring. If all tickets are sold prior to Wednesday's drawing this would effectively be the Raffle administrator picking a number, impulsively announcing it, throwing it back into the bin and then saying; "But that wasn't the real prize winning number, come back in three days for the real one." Kind of rude if you ask me. (I know, being rude isn't a crime.)
Assuming all tickets are sold, this is a set number raffle, I don't believe anything is going to change within the methodology of drawing between Wednesday and Saturday. My PERSONAL odds are no different. It's just that this displays the fact that the details are unseen/unknown by the participants. Not unusual for us puzzle people, but highly unusual for Lottery participants, where clear and detailed information always should be available.

I don't really want to go digging into U.K. raffle laws over this, because I'm not a U.K. resident and frankly I don't want to mess up this event which I consider to be a good thing for the Revomaze business and potentially myself.

NOW, I am most certainly NOT claiming this is happening, but with things as they are RIGHT NOW with this change, I do not find it outside of the realm of possibilities. Should I or anyone find out that numbers are being RESERVED for an individual for the purpose of paying for AFTER the Wednesday original draw date, I would be extremely and justifiably angered over the change to Saturday's drawing over Wednesdays. It's changes like this that bring the potential of such abuse into question. AGAIN -- I have not seen this, I don't believe this, it's purely a speculative potential event based on evidence I currently posses. I am not claiming that RevoHQ WOULD or even has the moral capability to do this. Just pointing out that by changing rules after currency has changed hands opens the door to other thoughts. Already a rule was influenced and restructured for a group of people for personal benefit.

The rules of a competition should never be changed during the event. Ever. Regardless if it effects odds or not. As of right now it should end wholly and completely on Saturday, March 1st. Changing it again or BACK to Wednesday only calls more into question.

Sorry for the wall of text. I'm not trying to be a rabble rouser, just clarifying my own personal opinion on the topic.
Last edited by Chyron on Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chyron wrote:Sometimes I get the feeling that someone goes around hiding old Puzzles in RevoHQ.
AndrewParr

Post by AndrewParr »

I'm seeing a silver lining to not being a voyager right now. ;)
Starting over
ReVoMaster
Site Admin

Post by ReVoMaster »

Hi all

I should have thought this out and made it Saturday (end of the month) in the first place, as agreed it is not a good idea to change rules but we were trying to help certain individuals (not to extend to get more people). Sorry if it has upset anyone.

I only want to sell the prototype and benefit the group to improve production. Putting it up on ebay was one way or taking an offer another. This way it is open to all 100 voyagers, who can participate or not and my goal is not to leave anyone out of pocket but use the revenue to invest in the series to move forward. In fact my 2 months making the puzzle, spending so much time to get ready, is to be sold for the material and machining cost of £120.

I am not in a position to invest heavily as this is my only work position and as long as people feel they are going to get the quality puzzles in the end, that is good.

Using the 1-49 from a safe source that cannot be cheated is why we used the UK National lottery bonus ball to decide who buys (not win) the prototype. That is all. Either Wednesday or Saturday the odds are the same (totally random).

Once the draw takes place and buyer is picked, we will then apply the rest towards the next puzzle the individual is entitled to. If some of the numbers are not taken, and that an unselected number comes in, we just roll it over. Trying to be fair is one priority and investing in the series to benefit the participants is another.

Please contact me directly if you have any more concerns.

All the best

Chris
ReVoMaster
Sejanus

Post by Sejanus »

I debated for quite a while whether I wanted to participate or not.. but I figured in the end it was a good idea. I may get an extra puzzle out of it.. otherwise I have pre-payed for my next puzzle and helped make manufacturing a bit easier. Win/win all around really.
R1:
Open: BU00955 (RIP) & 1055, Green, Bronze, Red

Voyager #44:
Open:
Closed:Ç
Chyron

Post by Chyron »

Chris, I know your heart is in the right place. You want to make puzzles and I'm happy for that, because I enjoy them thoroughly. I should say thank you for the opportunity at all.

I hope these types of events continue to occur around here. I think it's a great way to help, and I understand that we're all receiving something out of it, not just one person. It does make it a different kind of beast.

I'm trying to propose constructive criticism towards this, and not just rant. I want what's best for you to continue making these puzzles for as long as you can. That's what's in my best interest.

I'd offer to take an objective look at any future event or contest like this before announced, but I wouldn't feel right participating in said events if I did.

That all being said, I feel you said something in that first paragraph of your latest message that should never be said during the course of any sort of contest. A few words can make a huge difference in regards to something like this. I feel they justify all concerns previously stated.

Return to “Jupiter General”