Revomaze Competition! 10 X Revomaze Purple Up For Grabs

General Questions.
TheJuggler

Re: Revomaze Competition! 10 X Revomaze Purple Up For Grabs

Post by TheJuggler »

smiteo wrote:except the leader board was the key for whole was invited to the "competition"...
it wasn't just the series code...
And the winner of the series code simply got a free entry to the final ...
open open open open open open open

http://puzzling-parts.thejuggler.net/
bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k »

smiteo wrote:except the leader board was the key for whole was invited to the "competition"...
I have to admit that I do sort of agree with this... I'm not entirely sure why it couldn't be limited to those on the leaderboard.
TheJuggler wrote:
And the winner of the series code simply got a free entry to the final ...
No. I believe the 2 winners of the series code get a purple each and cannot enter this bit of the competition as they've already been lucky boys :twisted:

While I'd have loved to have seen the live competition run, I think it was clear a little while ago that this wasn't feasible. Therefore, I guess the choice was between no competition at all, or different method of doing it. I for one am just pleased that we're still here discussing it, and the purple is real rather than just being a thing that may appear at some point in the future.
Puzzle wiki:
Puzzle Place
|11SE: BUopenGRopenBRopenAGv1deadAGv2repairAUwaitingTIopen
11LE: BLopenRopenORopenHMrepairLMPU
25: BUopenGRopenBRopenAGv1openAGv2openAUopen
Ob: BUopenGRopenBLopenBLv2openRD
Minirepair
1st to open a ReVoMaze
TheWaddler

Post by TheWaddler »

im glad that everyone has a chance to win one, though i've never played the lottery!!!

I just registered, but no reply yet, i guess they're swamped at RevoHQ ;)

.... tho im tempted to just fork out the 5 or 6k, might have more luck getting one that way ;) :lol: :lol: :?
The Waddler's Puzzling Blog

--R1 Collection--
Open:
[BU01099][GR01556][BR00471][OR00149][R00019][TI00045][BlobV2][BluePro]
In Progress:
[CU00042]
Unopened:
[AG00185][AU00145][LI00149]
Ordered:
Aqua
Indigo
--R2 Cosmic Series (Voyager Set #42)--
Still Waiting:
Mercury
stet

Post by stet »

TheJuggler wrote: And the winner of the series code simply got a free entry to the final ...
There were two planned competitions, one in Europe and one in the US. At each competition there were going to be five speed competitions, one for each of the five series puzzles with the participants for each from the leaderboards. The winners of these five competitions would then compete using a Purple (which they would keep). The winner of the series code for the region (there would be two, one in Europe one in the US) would be a sixth participant in the final and also keep a Purple. The winner of the final would win a cash prize.

I really hate the idea of all of this going away. I really believe that in all fairness to those who qualified for these competitions that the rules for this lottery be changed to only include those who earned slots in the leaderboards. Give everyone one number for each slot they qualified for. I would get three, some people would get five, others only one. You could merge the US and Europe leaderboards together or do separate drawings for each region.

You could even do separate drawings for each of the originally planned speed competitions. By this I mean that you do a drawing with only the US Blue leaderboard position holders. Then another for the US Green, etc. And do the same for the Europe leaderboards. Ten separate drawings.

Like I’ve said, I really hate the idea of the leaderboards not meaning anything after it was such a big part of the Revomaze series in the beginning.
Needs to be updated!
SE #05:
BU Solved GR Solved BR Solved AG(V1) Not Solved AG(V2) Solved AU Won't Be Solved TI Missed
LE #05:
BL Solved RD Solved OR Not Solved HM Not Solved LI Ordered
Gold Plated CE #05:
BU Ordered GR Ordered BR Ordered AG Ordered AU Ordered TI Ordered
TheWaddler

Post by TheWaddler »

in all fairness, they were never going to please everyone regardless of how they decided on the competition. latecomers would be gutted they couldn't enter or veterans were gutted they didn't get a headstart. either way one party would be unhappy.

they obviously thought this is the fairest way it could have been done :D
The Waddler's Puzzling Blog

--R1 Collection--
Open:
[BU01099][GR01556][BR00471][OR00149][R00019][TI00045][BlobV2][BluePro]
In Progress:
[CU00042]
Unopened:
[AG00185][AU00145][LI00149]
Ordered:
Aqua
Indigo
--R2 Cosmic Series (Voyager Set #42)--
Still Waiting:
Mercury
TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler »

Couldn't agree more Brian. The leaderboards should have been maintained.

If you don't respond by the deadline, or don't want to be included then go to the reserve list. I don't care at all about the money aspect from the original competition, but being in the top 30 openers for Silver and Gold was an achievement that I am proud of and was something that the original competition recognised.

That's my 2 cents ... I'm off to lurk again.

pcad

Post by pcad »

Found some more info

A Purple will go to anyone that can open a Blue Pro Obsession in less than 60 seconds or pay £6000 to simply buy one.

This answers questions about the blue pro prize, I don't know what to think about putting it up for sale. Too expensive for me, but certainly some people have that kind of pocket change.
Peter

Gunmetal Unopened
Aqua,Turquoise Opened
Blue, Green, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Purple Opened
Black V1 + V2, Orange, Red, Titanium, Lime Opened
HandMade Prototypes too scary to reassemble
Gold CE set in Clear Sleeves
bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k »

Hmm, to be fair, the "veterans" do have a point... getting on the leaderboard ahead of everyone else was the main aim of the game since day one. Whether you're a latecomer or not, the competition was focused on that leaderboard. When it got full there was no need for the maps, hence the v2s. As such, I'm guessing that opening a v2 (ie. without a drawbar) won't give entries to the competition.

fwiw. I'm not just saying this to give myself a better chance of winning since I'm not going to be taking part.
Puzzle wiki:
Puzzle Place
|11SE: BUopenGRopenBRopenAGv1deadAGv2repairAUwaitingTIopen
11LE: BLopenRopenORopenHMrepairLMPU
25: BUopenGRopenBRopenAGv1openAGv2openAUopen
Ob: BUopenGRopenBLopenBLv2openRD
Minirepair
1st to open a ReVoMaze
pcad

Post by pcad »

Let's face it. Anyone who thought there would be cash prizes hasn't been hanging out on this forum for the last few years. The idea of getting a Las Vegas hotel conference room and having contestants fly in from anywhere in the world seems equally ludicrous to me. A live event in UK for those in the UK at a modest venue seemed possible, but might cost more than one might expect.

I know this is a huge sudden change for all of us that enjoy these puzzles. Switching to a lottery seems fair, and I agree that abandoning the leader board might not have been the best idea. I think in the interest of keeping Revomaze alive and able to make new puzzles, this is the way to go. I think just honoring the existing CE prepaid orders will be enough of a burden for them. The lime is a case in point of how much more expensive making these puzzles are at MERC.

I guess if a few of us buy the Purple it would help keep them in business too. Too bad I can't deduct it as a charitable donation. ;)
Last edited by pcad on Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter

Gunmetal Unopened
Aqua,Turquoise Opened
Blue, Green, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Purple Opened
Black V1 + V2, Orange, Red, Titanium, Lime Opened
HandMade Prototypes too scary to reassemble
Gold CE set in Clear Sleeves
TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler »

TheWaddler wrote:in all fairness, they were never going to please everyone regardless of how they decided on the competition. latecomers would be gutted they couldn't enter or veterans were gutted they didn't get a headstart. either way one party would be unhappy.

they obviously thought this is the fairest way it could have been done :D
I disagree. Up until 5 Dec 2011 when the new website went live, the original competition, rules and leaderboard were available, so someone new coming in should not have been under the impression that they could open a blue, green, bronze, or silver and be entered into the competition. I believe for silver, there were reserve spots available, and gold was still open.

You'll never please anyone, but for those who started the journey in early 2009, this was their view all along. Honor that original intent. It's one of the things that so many, myself included valued so highly from the company, that they cared about their customers, and wanted to give them the best experience possible.

Return to “Purple General”