What other puzzles do you recommend?

Barcared

What other puzzles do you recommend?

Post by Barcared »

Hi all,

I am not a long term experienced puzzle enthusiast but apart from the Revomazes I own the Isis, Ramisis and NKryptor.

Can anyone recommend any other puzzles I could buy - preferably with high build quality so they can be displayed alongside the others just mentioned and also providing a good challenge at the same time. Anything that gives the same sense of reward as the Revomazes would be great.

I have a few wooden puzzles but am hoping there are more high quality puzzles out there.

Cheers!
ReVoRabbit

Re: What other puzzles do you recommend?

Post by ReVoRabbit »

As far as I know, the only machined puzzles worth owning are from SW and here at REVOMAZE. SW is offering preorders of the Kuku puzzle ball. you can try that. They also have the Anti-Matter canister puzzle, which looks cool, is way over priced, and from what I think I read on the SW forum, doesnt actually work. There are a few custom puzzle guys out there, but their puzzles are either not visually impressive enough to display next to a REVOMAZE or are going to cost you several thousand dollars.
OWNER OF REVOMAZE Set 20
Since February 18 2009
Extreme
BU GR BR AG au pu BL R HM OR TI lm AQ
TQ MT IN CU GM sa GY BKM SP EM ru
PE
v2: BU GR BR Marbles: Brain Store MINI CE
Obsession
Black Body: BU GR R BL
Colored Body: BU GR R BL
Black v2: BUpro GR BL
Prototypes
BU Obs
Mint Peach
Jupiter
allardwza

Post by allardwza »

There are a couple of puzzle locks around that are really nice...Danlock is probably the 'most interesting' (even though it just looks like an ordinary lock :shock: ) - and Rainer Popp's (sp?) locks are also pretty special. 8-)

... and I reckon every puzzle collection needs a few Japanese puzzle boxes...

...some of the Hanayama puzzles look the part, although I guess they're a bit more mass market... the newer 'cast' series are quite nice to fiddle with occasionally...

There's plenty out there...

allard
Amateur Puzzle Hoarder and occasional blogger
ReVoRabbit

Post by ReVoRabbit »

allardwza wrote:There are a couple of puzzle locks around that are really nice...
I've been quite interested in some of the puzzle locks, but if i get one, i kinda want the whole set and i havent been able to find a set.
Danlock... is that the one with the bolt in it?
allardwza wrote:... and I reckon every puzzle collection needs a few Japanese puzzle boxes...
agreed... know where i can get a decent sized one thats not so... simple/straight forward without spending all my RevoMaze Gold money?
allardwza wrote:...some of the Hanayama puzzles look the part, although I guess they're a bit more mass market... the newer 'cast' series are quite nice to fiddle with occasionally...
I see them all the time, and I've often thought about buying one, but they are so... idk, like you said, mass market/mass produced. just buy one and read the instructions and voila you can impress anyone because you can 'solve' the puzzle. hell i could photocopy a revomaze shaft and hand it to a newbie and they still wouldnt be able to solve it much faster than doing it on their own. Thats what i call a puzzle!
OWNER OF REVOMAZE Set 20
Since February 18 2009
Extreme
BU GR BR AG au pu BL R HM OR TI lm AQ
TQ MT IN CU GM sa GY BKM SP EM ru
PE
v2: BU GR BR Marbles: Brain Store MINI CE
Obsession
Black Body: BU GR R BL
Colored Body: BU GR R BL
Black v2: BUpro GR BL
Prototypes
BU Obs
Mint Peach
Jupiter
maztec

Post by maztec »

Some of the true Japanese puzzle boxes aren't mass manufactured and are extremely difficult to do. However, usually the more moves, the more suns it is - resulting in some really big boxes.

There are some truly awesome Japanese puzzle boxes in existence, but you have to be careful because there are also a lot of frauds.

Oh, and many ship with the instructions to open them ... inside the box ;)
OOOOOOOoo
allardwza

Post by allardwza »

...the Danlock is the one that comes with two keys...one of which has been cut in two - the machining is phenomenal and the puzzle itself has quite a few stages... some of which are rather counter-intuitive - I've seen a few people reckon that if they were only allowed one puzzle on a desert island, it would be their Danlock... but that was before Chris inflicted Revomazes on an unsuspecting world!! :evil:

(I think the one with the bolt in it is the Lunatic Lock - there's no comparison, trust me! :? )

Danlock and Popplocks 2,3 and 4 are available from Grand Illusions in the UK (Popplock 1 isn't available anywhere... and if anyone knows otherwise I'd like to hear!)

The Japanese puzzle boxes aren't cheap - they seem to be handmade with a lot of care... Puzzlemaster stocks quite a few, there's a bunch called Faze 3 in the UK and then there are quite a few websites in Japan (e.g. Izumiya )...

:ugeek: ...word to the wise: don't spend your RevoGold funds on anything other than your RevoGold - you'll never forgive yourself... value for puzzling pound, nothing comes close to Revomazes (take it from someone who still hasn't opened his Bronze!)

cheers

allard
Amateur Puzzle Hoarder and occasional blogger
cornettracing80

Post by cornettracing80 »

superplexus
anything made by rocky chairo
its really really hard to name "good" puzzles now that AR and CP have
destroyed the "norm" for puzzle quality ...nobody makes puzzles like these 2 men..... ask stet ,he has about a million puzzles :shock:
The hardest part of a Revomaze is putting it down
BU00080-Solved
GR00080-Solved
BR00080-Solved
AG00080 V1-Solved 1st ever
AU00080-IN PROGRESS
R00080-Solved
Revomaze Obsessions Solved
Blue
Green
Red
Black
cdr2289

Post by cdr2289 »

Man, that superplexus thing looks NASTY
Blue #172 opened
Green #172 opened
Bronze #172 opened
Black LE#04 opened
Silver #172 V2 opened
Red #86 opened ...
Gold #172 HAS ARRIVED!
Red Obs (Shelved) ...
Barcared

Post by Barcared »

Thanks Guys - loads of great leads/advice!

Just ordered Superplexus from Amazon (not really the sort of puzzle to display but looks intriguing and was only £12.49)

Danlock looks good but is expensive - £80! Is it worth that price? Grand Illusions is a great website - thanks for the heads up on that one.

Would love a quality Japanese puzzle and found a site called puzzleboxdirect which sells loads of different puzzles in the UK so I will consider it for the future.

Thanks again!
Barcared

Post by Barcared »

Superplexus arrived and I must admit that on first inspection although it looked intricate the box said for age 8 and above so I thought - This is going to be easy!

Indeed the first 1/3 was easy then got more and more complex.

My conclusion: Although nowhere near comparable to a Revomaze for a serious puzzle with great aesthetics, the Superplexus is an excellent maze requiring a high degree of dexterity and patience and is a serious challenge for any puzzle enthusiast. And at £12.49 is a real bargain.

I also got a 4 sun, 14 move Chinese puzzle box which was beautiful but relatively easy to open. Suppose I must save for an expensive larger one!

(and I haven't completed Superplexus in one complete run yet after a few hours of playing!)

Return to “Other Puzzles of Interest”