Puzzles from dice

mrmkaufman

Puzzles from dice

Post by mrmkaufman »

As promised, a look at the things you can do with dice, regular (19mm) and unmarked (16mm). A jig is essential, able to create perfect 90 corners and straight runs, and a ledge to line up half height joints, sometimes in two dimensions. And strong acrylic glue - I use Zap-A-Gap. Like with wood blocks, pyramids and cubes are about all you can do. 3x cubes use 27 pieces and 4x ones 64, but a regular length eight six piece burr is up to 192 voxels. Just too daunting to consider making runs of three or four single dice to connect 8-dice ends for burr pieces that have to move past each other that much.

The Live Cubes are fun and easy and work really well for this application. I made a bunch before implementing my two favorites in those blue aluminum Fight Cubes. There's a lot of fun puzzling sitting right there.

I would say that dice constructs like these, no matter how well lined up and clamped, and thoroughly dry joints, WILL break if dropped. Usually by tearing off a piece of the actual dice plastic body instead of failing at the glue itself!
Attachments
dice3.jpg
dice3.jpg (951.62 KiB) Viewed 3634 times
josiah1221

Re: Puzzles from dice

Post by josiah1221 »

Very nice! I had considered dice at one time but wasn't sure how well they would glue together. They definitely look cool! I currently have 3 4x4x4 cubes I made from the live cubes that I really like so I'm considering finding something affordable to create them permanently. I know there are a lot of people out there who are using 3D printers and sometimes release the .stl files to the public or for a small price. The problem I have is finding people who will sell the printed versions instead of just the files. Also the cubes I'm referring to are Jos Bergmans designs, I have no idea how to contact him or if anyone has permission to make or print his designs.
mrmkaufman

Post by mrmkaufman »

My local library will take .STL files and print them for you, for a small charge per gram of the finished product. Some Etsy sellers keep their 3D printed puzzles very small specifically to keep them affordable, so you'll want to trade of size versus expense versus strength. Some puzzle pieces may need additional supports for some portions, so it's always going to be hit-or-miss taking someone's design and just giving it a go...
jack55555

Post by jack55555 »

looks really coooool :shock: :D

Return to “Other Puzzles of Interest”