Top 5

Swyrm

Top 5

Post by Swyrm »

Most puzzle are said to be good or bad but I don't think it represents well what puzzles are, indeed we all have solved some puzzles which amazed us right over the other ones. To try to have the most exhaustiv list of which puzzles can bring us such a feeling, and so which puzzle collectors should look after, I think we could share our top 5 puzzles ever!

As for me it would be:

1) Pachinko Box - Wil Strijbos
2) DanLock - Dan Feldmann
3) Free me 6 - Joe Turner
4) Sequential discovery burred box - Juno
5) Jack-In-The-Box - Jack Krijnen

Writing this list and as a sequential discovery puzzle collector I am surprised I didn't put any Brian Young in this list but my favorite of the one I solved is The Louvres and its place is probably around my 10th all time favorite after all the amazing Juno's.
Crypton

Re: Top 5

Post by Crypton »

Problem with such a list is: my interests are shifting constantly :D
I'm relatively new to puzzles and am discovering new and amazing designers all the time. Wil Strijbos, then Brian Young, Juno, ...
And the materials shift too. Starting with the Revomazes I concentrated on Metall Puzzles, but am currently drawn to the amazement that are wooden interlocking cubes and burrs...

Actually can't say which are my top 5.
AQ01342: 2018-09-06: ~15h, BU02953: 2018-08-25: ~20h, GR02049: 2018-04-24: 3.5h, MT01086: 0h, BR02343: 2018-03-26: ~40h, IN00191: 10h, GM00112: 1h, ORxxxxx: arrived, CU00018: 0h, TI(SE)18-50: 0h, AGxxxxx: arrived,
Obsession-Pro: 2018-09-08: ~10h, Obsession-Black: 2019-01-20: ~90h, Mini: 0h (it's soooo tiny! :o )
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

The top five for me is filled with Revomazes but if I take them away and only look at other puzzles, this is my Top 5:

1) Angel Box (William Strijbos)
Angel Box.jpg
Angel Box.jpg (13.98 KiB) Viewed 8557 times
2) Popplock T2 (Rainer Popp)
PopplockT2.jpg
PopplockT2.jpg (14.18 KiB) Viewed 8557 times
3) Butterfly / Pleasure and Pain Box (William Strijbos)
Butterfly.jpg
Butterfly.jpg (14.93 KiB) Viewed 8557 times
4) Alles Roger (Roger D)
Alles Roger.jpg
Alles Roger.jpg (12.37 KiB) Viewed 8557 times
5) Open Lock (Gary Foshee)
Open Lock.jpg
Open Lock.jpg (15.05 KiB) Viewed 8557 times
OPEN: AQUA - TURQUOISE - BLUE - GREEN - BRONZE - SILVER - GOLD - INDIGO - TITANIUM - RED - ORANGE - LIME - GUNMETAL - PURPLE - COPPER - MINT - HANDMADE - MERCURY - BLACK - BLACK MERC - SALMON - GREY - SAPPHIRE - EMERALD - RUBY - PEACH
Swyrm

Post by Swyrm »

Wow nice collection (and nuce pictures too!), I wasn't able to play with any of these!
Are Roger D's that good, the dexterity ones with balls better than the other ones?!
dutch _puzzler

Post by dutch _puzzler »

My top 5 favs are
Panchikos box
Dan lock
Lotus
Blue revo
Louvre

But i have to say that the list changes overtime. Louvre i bought a couple of months ago and the solution was something i never seen before same goes for dan lock aquired only weeks ago. The blue revo was the second revo i bought after aqua and was a perfect balance in difficulty map making and time to solve.
Panchikos box and lotus are perfect seq. Discovery puzzles.
Sadly i dont have angles box so if anyone wants to sell it pm me please.
AQ00095 :D BU01174 :D
GR01932 :D BR02232 :D

Gunmetal :? MT01023 :?
OR00029 :?
IN00234 :?
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

Swyrm wrote:Wow nice collection (and nuce pictures too!), I wasn't able to play with any of these!
Are Roger D's that good, the dexterity ones with balls better than the other ones?!
Thanks! I don't think all Roger D puzzles are that good but the ones I have solved are really good and he is a genius that can come up with these unique puzzles. The Alles Roger is not what you think it is :twisted: and I think this is the best Roger D I have solved but there are many of them that I have not tried.
OPEN: AQUA - TURQUOISE - BLUE - GREEN - BRONZE - SILVER - GOLD - INDIGO - TITANIUM - RED - ORANGE - LIME - GUNMETAL - PURPLE - COPPER - MINT - HANDMADE - MERCURY - BLACK - BLACK MERC - SALMON - GREY - SAPPHIRE - EMERALD - RUBY - PEACH
Brian706

Post by Brian706 »

I want to try an open lock so bad. I'm super jelly of that one.
OPENED: AQ BU GR
CLOSED: BR CU IN GM R MT SA TI AU AG
Swyrm

Post by Swyrm »

Yes that open lock looks awesome, very curious about how this simple looking puzzle could be considered so good by all these collectors, really puzzling!
By the way, Joe Turner told me he still has some spare copies of Free Me 6 available... It is a shame such a good puzzle didn't sell under a week! You should really consider buying one! ;)
mrmkaufman

Post by mrmkaufman »

Totally agree about Free Me 6. So surprised it didn't get any awards.

1. Strijbos Aluminum Cross (not the easier Sweta)
2. Strijbos aluminum six piece burrs (either one) - SO smooth and precise
3. Keegan's Tumbler and Doubler Tumbler
4. Free Me 6
5. Hanayama's more elegant ones: Baroq, Trinity, Marble, Square, Dolce, Padlock, even the Loop (Vesa Timonen's favorite of all he's designed) - not all difficult, but somehow resonate with me so I really enjoy playing with them and solving again and again

I agree that Lotus is very well made and tough, but for some reason I pretty much walked straight through the process and was never really stumped. So it was really fun, and an awesome design, but not OMG GREAT! And no, it's not for sale, regardless :-).

The Computer's Choice 10 burr and a few of the interlocking 4x4x4 cubes out there are also quite interesting.
Swyrm

Post by Swyrm »

I think Free Me 6 didn't get any award because it was a bit too similar with previous Free Me 5 which already won an honourable mention (the first steps are about the same even if Joe made little variations to trap people who did FM5). Free Me 5 main step was very clever but the puzzle was much simpler because it was only about separating the two sliding parts... while Free Me 6... I wont say much ;)

Return to “Other Puzzles of Interest”