Trick / Puzzle Locks

Piker B

Trick / Puzzle Locks

Post by Piker B »

Does anyone have some suggestions for a good "entry level" lock? I have seen some talked about in the forums, but they appear to be very challenging and are certainly expensive. I'm looking for something that will challenge me but be solvable by a rookie and will not break the bank. I don't want to drop a ton of cash on something I'm not sure I will enjoy or not.

Thanks
Aqua - open
Blue - open
Green - open
Bronze - open
Indigo - open
Gunmetal -in progress
Mint - on shelf
Orange - on shelf
Brian706

Re: Trick / Puzzle Locks

Post by Brian706 »

The lunatic lock is cheap and has a nice solution. It is also the lock that Wil based his new revenge lock/the wanderer off of if you develop interest in that.

I think the knowledge from the lunatic lock is helpful to solve Wil's new puzzle, but the revenge lock is a huge step up. You wouldn't feel like you wasted money on the same puzzle or anything.

I got my lunatic lock from puzzlemaster for about $12 USD. The only place I can find one for sale now is Etsy. And they have it marked up a bit to $30. Personally, I think it's a bit high for the quality of the puzzle but it's not ridiculous either. It's kind of a rare item now, so I suppose there's going to be markups. It's really a nice, elegant solution and hard to solve by accident. The finish is just rough on it. It's a cheaply made puzzle as opposed to the high quality of Wil's lock.

WARNINGThey posted spoilers in the photos. So don't scroll through the other photos if you don't want to ruin the puzzle.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/492258856/ ... ref=market
OPENED: AQ BU GR
CLOSED: BR CU IN GM R MT SA TI AU AG
Piker B

Post by Piker B »

Brian706,

Thanks for the suggestion and the link. I have ordered it (wanted to be fast with only 1 in stock). It looks like a perfect entrance into the puzzle lock world. While I hope I love it, my wallet is unsure :lol: Just for future consideration, are the high prices of better quality locks worth it (understanding that "worth it" means different things to different people)?
Aqua - open
Blue - open
Green - open
Bronze - open
Indigo - open
Gunmetal -in progress
Mint - on shelf
Orange - on shelf
Brian706

Post by Brian706 »

I don't personally own many puzzle locks but I'd say it probably depends on the puzzle. For example, Wil's puzzle is worth the cost in my opinion as are all of his puzzles. While the lunatic lock has a nice solution, the puzzling value is far greater on Wil's lock. The solution is much more in depth and there's a lot more discovery to be had. Plus the quality is top notch as always.

I've seen some expensive trick locks that don't look very good but I haven't played with them. I'd say designer has a lot to do with it. A popplock for example is very pricey but the quality is really good and the locks are very complex.

There's a lot of experienced puzzlers and puzzle bloggers on this forum and I think that should you have any questions, you will most certainly be able to get very valid opinions on people's experience with most any high quality, expensive puzzle you come across.

TL;DR yes, I think in general the higher cost is worth it and indicative of the quality of the puzzle
OPENED: AQ BU GR
CLOSED: BR CU IN GM R MT SA TI AU AG

Return to “Other Puzzles of Interest”