The Sherlock (Burr Puzzle Game)

Brian706

The Sherlock (Burr Puzzle Game)

Post by Brian706 »

Hi All,

I saw this in my email this morning from Marbles the Brain Store and thought some of you might be interested. It's a burr puzzle game in where you draw cards to determine which burr pieces you must fit into a cube. It might be a bit pricey for burrs at $50 US, but I'm not much of a burr guy so I don't really know.

It looks like it comes with 52 "challenge cards", the cube, and 32 burr pieces; all in a nice wooden storage box.

Anyway, I know some of you really like burr puzzles so I thought there might be some interest.
Link: http://www.marblesthebrainstore.com/the-sherlock.htm
OPENED: AQ BU GR
CLOSED: BR CU IN GM R MT SA TI AU AG
Paradox

Re: The Sherlock (Burr Puzzle Game)

Post by Paradox »

I think that's actually pretty cool! I don't think I've ever seen a caged burr set before.

Considering that presumed number of puzzles you could make (and the fact it looks very nice) the cost sounds relatively reasonable.

It would be interesting to stick the pieces through BurrTools to see how many unique puzzles are actually possible with the set of pieces provided.
Puzzle Paradox on Facebook
Puzzle Paradox Blog

BluOb: Open (30/10/10) GrOb: Open (01/11/10)
BlOb: Open (04/11/10) ROb: ...
BluEx: Open (27/01/11) BrEx: Open (09/02/11)
REx: Open (17/04/11) OrEx: Open (20/07/12)
CuEx: In progress
Revo Mini: Open (05/07/13)
Buschfunch

Post by Buschfunch »

I just bought this puzzle today, and have already spent way too much time playing with it considering I am on vacation.

It's really good, I can only recommend it!
kickaha

Post by kickaha »

Buschfunch, a few questions:

What's the quality of the work? Are the pieces cut accurately? Polished?

Are all the puzzles about finding where and in what order and orientation to insert the pieces? Or do some of these require moving the pieces once they're in to get them to the final state?

You may not know this one, but I wonder does it only supports 52 puzzles? some burr sets support hundreds or thousands of different puzzles...
Buschfunch

Post by Buschfunch »

The pieces are pretty nicely cut and have a nice surface, they aren't polished but are made from a really nice quality hard wood giving them a good feel.

The puzzle is basically about taking one of the 52 puzzle cards, that tells you which pieces you must fit into the slots of the wooden cube, at some of the more difficult you have to slide the piece back and forth a few times after inserting it to complete the puzzle. I imagine there could be hundreds of more combinations with the pieces included in the box, but the deck of cards only feature 52 in various difficulties.

Overall I really like the product, but there are a few things which could be improved. A tighter fit for the top of the box and the walls of the cube could have been a lot thicker to make aligning the pieces easier.

Return to “Other Puzzles of Interest”